Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 04:22 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times

Advertisements

I have to say, you have talked me into trying it posting the menu, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 12:43 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Just for the record, I have no affiliation with Sichuan House other than as a customer.

It was just that I really liked it and hope that others take the time to try it out instead of listening to someone that is willing to simply dismiss the restaurant just because it is in San Antonio.

If you choose to believe the guy that always puts down anything San Antonio related over me, over a hundred reviews on yelp, google, or etc...then that is your choice.

My favorite restaurant in San Antonio for Chinese still is Chef Chan Tea House, but sadly is no longer here. I am a dim sum guy and Sichuan House doesn't serve that but they are pretty authentic overall.

Old 12-12-2015, 05:48 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Here are a couple of snapshots of the menu from my phone I took at the time I was there. It didn't seem that expensive to me. Can't comment on the windows as I didn't sit near them nor did I pay attention to them when walking in/out.

Disclaimer:

I lived in Taiwan for more than two years and traveled extensively throughout SE Asia. I think I have more than a passing ability to judge GOOD Chinese food.

My wife and I went yesterday for a late lunch.

The first thing that caught my mind was there was not the usual complements of table sauces off the grocery shelf. They make their own.

Next I observed the dinning composition-half speaking Mandarin, the other half a mixture of Hispanic and Anglos. My Mandarin is rusty, but I gathered that the Chinese ate there often.

The menu-in both Chines and English was a good sign AND it was.

We ordered Dry Pot Combination. pork pot stickers, and Hot and Sour soup.

Pot stickers- homemade, a bit doughy rather than frozen rice paper ones usually found at other restaurants. In stead of the order of six, next time I would order a dozen.

Dry Pot- Very fresh, an incredible dish. The spices and pepper oil used to enhance the fiery dish were perfect. There was far too much for only two, but is for a larger gathering. I tried, however.

Hot and Sour Soup-a perfect ending.

Took much home and made a great reheated dinner.

Very authentic and well worth the effort to get there.

My only comment to someone who does not enjoy the REAL thing is find Chung King on the grocery shelf or ask what to order.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:08 PM

78 posts, read 92,382 times
We just had lunch at Sichuan House today and loved it. We tried the spicy savory shrimp (my favorite) Kung Pao chicken and combo fried rice. Everything was delicious, fresh-tasting and spicy. I can't attest to the authenticity but I loved the flavor and thought it was reasonably priced. Can't wait to go back and try that Dry Pot dish-- sounds good!

Old 12-13-2015, 08:52 AM

424 posts, read 609,820 times
I will third Sichuan House. I tried it about two months ago. It was VERY good and the price and portions were both really good.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:53 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Sichuan House looks legit. I'll have to give it a try. And I'll put in another vote for Tang Street. It has plenty of stuff that you won't find in a typical "buffet style" Chinese restaurant. We're vegetarian, so we have specific tastes, but their spicy eggplant hot pot and bean curd in chili sauce are excellent. It's definitely worth a visit, IMHO.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:53 PM

39 posts, read 46,091 times
I went to Sichuan House and tried the Mapo Tofu and FuQiFeiPian (cold sliced beef) during lunch the other day. These are two of my benchmark dishes for any Sichuan restaurant. The Mapo Tofu was made with fresh tofu. The pork is a bit chunky, but the taste was great. Adding to the taste is what I think is ground Sichuan peppercorn which gives it the mouth numbing effect that often is left out of the dish.

I had to wait 10-15 minutes for the FuQiFeiPian, but the presentation was very good. A person other than my waitress brought it out to me and told me it took a while because they made it fresh (I went at ~11:15 in the morning). The dish has lots of cilantro and red chili as expected, but it also have tiny bits of celery and peanuts which really made a positive difference.

I had a very good first experience. If it were not so far away from where I live, I'd definitely go more often.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:45 PM

FYI, it is CLOSED on Tuesdays....found out the hard way! LOL

Old 12-16-2015, 08:07 AM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
FYI, it is CLOSED on Tuesdays....found out the hard way! LOL
I had no idea it was closed on a such odd day or I would have made note of that here!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I had no idea it was closed on a such odd day or I would have made note of that here!
Yeah, went there for dinner last night, closed. Oh well...at least all the chairs were upside down on the tables meaning they clean GOOD before leaving for their day off. Will try them sometime in the next week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio