Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 10:38 AM

336 posts, read 483,902 times

Advertisements

Avoiding outright monopolies, I can't see this being approved

I wouldn't worry folks... Much ado about nothing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:13 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,255 times
I don't know, their service areas currently don't overlap much and in many areas there are alternatives.
I would hate for it to happen, but I fear it might just go through.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
This isn't a good thing. Comcast has notoriously bad customer service.

I heard about this bidding war and I was hoping Charter would win it. That would have been an improvement.

And I do expect the deal will go through, unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:30 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle206723 View Post
Let's move the problems aside; because the same reps will be there if; or when there is a switch. How ever giving the multinational corps more control is a terrible idea. The nature of a corporation is to run it as a business; and that means higher cost for everyone. This isn't just COMCAST/NBC and Company. This also is General Electric...

I could go on a tirade; but I was always told nations and people perish for a lack of knowledge. Just throw them a few crumbs and they will go for it.

Oh look, someone from Seattle railing against the evil corporations. Almost as shocking as the the Treasury Department wanting your check post dated no later than April 15 every year.

The problem with television/internet service providers is that it cannot be done on a cost effective basis at the local level. Sure, we could go back to the days 28.8 and then 56.6 dial up, where things like local ISPs were the norm, but then broadband would not be possible. It takes significant infrastructure to make things like broadband possible. Servers aren't cheap, neither are things like fiber optic cables, poles, buried utilities, etc. It is not fiscally viable for local ISPs to compete against larger firms with the required resources to support said infrastructure. Sure, it could be regulated, but then we'd see politicians get their pockets lined to back certain companies, and go down the whole K Street path, and the revolving door between industry and politics.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:27 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Well, I for one have decided to make the move I invariably put off for a couple of years now.. I had AT&T Uverse for a while.. moved out of their service area and was forced to go back to TWC. After a few years of haggling over prices with them and the now and upcoming merger to Comcast I have opted to bail out and get Grande Communications.. I would have went to Uverse but have heard from neighbors that the service in this area really sucks. So I opted for Grande. Lets see what happens.

I may have hopped out of the soup bowl into the fire but time will take its time in letting me know. I know I got sick and tired of getting my yearly letter from TWC letting me know that they were hiking my rate up and me going through the "I am pissed off customer charade" to get them to drop the price back down again.. I mean who needs that crap after a while? I have better things to do then constantly have to ask them to reduce my cable bill from $200.00 + a month down to $150.00. Maybe they (Time Warner) need to realize there are better things to do then **** people off all the time.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
I got sick and tired of getting my yearly letter from TWC letting me know that they were hiking my rate up
Sorry, but ALL TV providers do this. That's because every year, programming networks raise their per-subscriber license fees that the provider pays to carry those channels. The only way providers could avoid rate increases would be to drop channels, like DirecTV is trying to do to The Weather Channel.

If you don't want the rate to go up, drop the subscription.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,010,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Sorry, but ALL TV providers do this. That's because every year, programming networks raise their per-subscriber license fees that the provider pays to carry those channels. The only way providers could avoid rate increases would be to drop channels, like DirecTV is trying to do to The Weather Channel.

If you don't want the rate to go up, drop the subscription.
Rate subscriptions do not go up by 50 and 60 dollars... sorry.. I deal with the five and dime increases that SAWS and CPS deals us every year.. those increases I expect... what I don't expect is to pay almost 100 dollars more then what I was paying for the same crap I got before. Seriously if you have something that would contribute a little better then "drop the subscription" you can keep your comments out of any of my comments. I mean seriously... what do you think I did by going to another provider?

As far as the programming rates.. I know all about that.. everyone raises prices including all of your restaurants that you probably love to go to.. so before you know it .. we drop all of it??? Not gonna happen. Just shop around for something better.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Rate subscriptions do not go up by 50 and 60 dollars... sorry.. I deal with the five and dime increases that SAWS and CPS deals us every year.. those increases I expect... what I don't expect is to pay almost 100 dollars more then what I was paying for the same crap I got before. Seriously if you have something that would contribute a little better then "drop the subscription" you can keep your comments out of any of my comments. I mean seriously... what do you think I did by going to another provider?

As far as the programming rates.. I know all about that.. everyone raises prices including all of your restaurants that you probably love to go to.. so before you know it .. we drop all of it??? Not gonna happen. Just shop around for something better.
You're moving the goalposts here. You said you were tired of TWC "hiking the rate up." You didn't say initially that they were hiking it up $50-60 in a single year. (Which I doubt, but won't challenge, because it's beside the point.) There isn't a TV provider in San Antonio that doesn't raise its rates annually. I already explained why that is. You should definitely use the one that provides the best deal that meets your needs. I'm sincerely glad you found a better deal.

OTOH, I am seriously considering going with no TV provider. I can live without most of what's on there. To make the leap, I just need to get to a point where I can live without it completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio