Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,913 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm Angel and I've been lurking a few times on this site, but thought I'd finally sign up! I am wanting to move to S.A, but have no clue where to start. I about passed out when I seen the population! I am from Columbus, Indiana so it's a bit different + it is predominately caucasion city .. and I've been told it's a bit diverse in Texas, which is awesome - I lived in Dothan, AL for the past three years so that's exciting.

My question is where the hell do I start? I am so confused! Never lived in such a big city and I want to be safe, but want to ease in and not stick out like a sore thumb!

I am a Relationship Coach, so I would eventually be full-time, but in the beginning I may definitely need a job (depending on when I get there).

*Exhale*

Now! I am not going to ask you all to repeat things, and I will continue scanning the boards, but do you have any pointers?

Weather?
Hangouts?
What's the dating scene like? (I'm 28)

I love the Spanish culture - I think it's pretty active, right!?

Ahhhh sorry for the novel!

Have a great evening folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 07:58 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,001 times
Great city. Very diverse which in my opinion should be celebrated! You will make friends where you work and lev and the city will then seem much smaller. Much. I'm too old to know about dating but I live in the Stone Oak area and love it. There seems to be something for everyone here.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:05 PM

336 posts, read 484,102 times
I wouldn't call SA culturally diverse. It's really pretty singular but that's changing... Very slowly.

That doesn't make this a bad city, just something to consider.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:49 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstarrangel View Post
Hello!

I'm Angel and I've been lurking a few times on this site, but thought I'd finally sign up! I am wanting to move to S.A, but have no clue where to start. I about passed out when I seen the population! I am from Columbus, Indiana so it's a bit different + it is predominately caucasion city .. and I've been told it's a bit diverse in Texas, which is awesome - I lived in Dothan, AL for the past three years so that's exciting.

My question is where the hell do I start? I am so confused! Never lived in such a big city and I want to be safe, but want to ease in and not stick out like a sore thumb!

I am a Relationship Coach, so I would eventually be full-time, but in the beginning I may definitely need a job (depending on when I get there).

*Exhale*

Now! I am not going to ask you all to repeat things, and I will continue scanning the boards, but do you have any pointers?

Weather?
Hangouts?

You don't have a job yet? Any prospects?

The phrase "Spanish culture" is not accurate. I'd avoid it if I were you. Many people do speak Spanish, though.

For hanging out? I personally love the area just south of the downtown area, along Alamo Street. I recommend The Friendly Spot.

The summers are long and hot. You might like it, though. I sure do!

I find that the people of San Antonio are very chill and nice to strangers.

Cheers!

Old 02-14-2014, 01:16 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstarrangel View Post
Hello!

*Exhale*

Weather?
Hangouts?

The summers are about the same length as Dothan just a little hotter and less humid. The winters are the same length and a little warmer or cooler depending on the year...

Old 02-14-2014, 03:09 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
We've moved here twice, once from Germany and the second time from Belgium; and while there's always some "adjustment" I don't think the term "culture shock" is appropriate. San Antonio is predominantly Hispanic which is a cool thing but German, Czech and several other cultures ingrained in our history. Your "shock" may come in how much there is to see and do in this city, it is very vibrant as compared to most places outside of major cities. It is a large town with a small town feel, and while it does get hot during the summer I would much rather deal with the heat than extreme cold (which I am experiencing where I am at the moment).

Keep in mind thousands move here every year, there's got to be a reason for that and the vast majority stay so I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Good luck and welcome to SA!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-14-2014, 03:47 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Star Angel,

Welcome home! Many many people relocate here, it is a vibrant city.
Most all visitors love it here. It is indeed a very vibrant and growing city and the is bursting at its' seams. Growth is everywhere new highway expansion, new construction etc. Don't worry you will fit right in. Most love it here a few don't. It IS different.
It is about the size of Indianapolis. Hispanic culture is alive and well , this is a blend of Western American
and Mexican cultures, always has been. Tex-Mex And Bar-B-Que restaurants there is no shortage of.
Bring a lot of suntan lotion, the sunlight is intense here. Plenty of diversions 27 million tourists annually can't be wrong. Gulf Coast is 150 miles away.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,617,303 times
I was born and raised in a village of 900 white people. After college I moved to St. Louis, where the population is approximately half African American and half white. San Antonio is diverse in the way St. Louis is diverse - lots of people representing lots of races and ethnicities, but having two that predominate.

I've lived here almost 17 years. I won't be moving back home, although "up north" is definitely still home. I actually love it here. I love the Mexican/Hispanic influence, and heaven knows I love the weather. I don't love the general conservatism of Texas politics but I'm a bleeding heart vocal liberal and have never been made to feel uncomfortable about that. Someone said in another thread that SA is a live and let live town, and that's been my experience.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Must Add,

Linda Grace is right the political climate is horrible here. There is no middle ground just an anti _OBAMA MONOLOGUE 24-7 on tasalk radio. It is rather, no, very unbelievable.
It is propaganda second to none since McCarthyism....
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I was born and raised in a village of 900 white people. After college I moved to St. Louis, where the population is approximately half African American and half white. San Antonio is diverse in the way St. Louis is diverse - lots of people representing lots of races and ethnicities, but having two that predominate.

I've lived here almost 17 years. I won't be moving back home, although "up north" is definitely still home. I actually love it here. I love the Mexican/Hispanic influence, and heaven knows I love the weather. I don't love the general conservatism of Texas politics but I'm a bleeding heart vocal liberal and have never been made to feel uncomfortable about that. Someone said in another thread that SA is a live and let live town, and that's been my experience.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:27 AM

6 posts, read 10,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Linda Grace is right the political climate is horrible here. There is no middle ground just an anti _OBAMA MONOLOGUE 24-7 on tasalk radio. It is rather, no, very unbelievable.
It is propaganda second to none since McCarthyism....
She was referring to Texas politics, not San Antonio. San Antonio is very much blue. Right leaning radio is in every major city. There's a reason liberal/progressive radio stations like AirAmerica failed nationwide, it's because liberal and progressives are a completely different animal to converatives/republicans. Not only are they incredibly younger (Fox News average viewer being over 65 years old) they also tend/tended not to be radio listeners. They listen to internet radio stations, have a paid monthly subscription to a music service, listen to podcasts, or just feel their phone with music from itunes or google play or whatever.

It's like a Tiger needing hundreds of pounds of meat to survive and a blue sperm whale eating millions of pounds of krill a day. Different animals with different tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio