Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:11 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times

Advertisements

As a pre-registered customer, I just received an e-mail stating that Aereo is now live in SA. Looks like it'll open to the rest of the community on February 19th.

It's essentially a company that streams and records over-the-air (local) channels to computers, iPads, iPhones, etc. There are some courtroom battles about the legality, but they claim that they're on firm ground by having a tiny antenna and separate device for each subscriber, thus mimicking the already legal method of receiving and recording local broadcasts.

My first month is free and it's $8/month after that. I tried streaming NBC's Winter Olympics coverage and it worked well on my PC. I can pause and restart shows and record them (up to 20 hours) just like a DVR. Another $4/month allows 60 hours of storage and the ability to record 2 shows at once.

I canceled cable and satellite TV years ago, so this might come in handy when I want to watch network shows, ball games, etc., as I already have a Mac Mini connected to my TV.

Looks like you can authorize 5 devices per account.

https://aereo.com/about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:52 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
I thought this was cool until I saw the channels that are offered are very similar to what an antennae gets you. Until I can get something more than that I don't think I'll be paying $8 for it.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I thought this was cool until I saw the channels that are offered are very similar to what an antennae gets you.
That's the whole point: it would be illegal for them to offer the service if they weren't channels you could already receive with your own antenna. But for $8 you can record shows for later viewing and you can watch them on your mobile devices. It's not all that easy to watch live streaming network TV otherwise, without a lot of hassle.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
That's the whole point: it would be illegal for them to offer the service if they weren't channels you could already receive with your own antenna. But for $8 you can record shows for later viewing and you can watch them on your mobile devices. It's not all that easy to watch live streaming network TV otherwise, without a lot of hassle.
I guess, but isn't that what Hulu and Netflix are for? Unless you want to watch a few shows that require a cable subscription (I'm thinking about ABC specifically). But if you watch stuff on tablets and everything then I guess it's not that bad of a deal.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,620,382 times
Quote:
As a pre-registered customer, I just received an e-mail stating that Aereo is now live in SA. Looks like it'll open to the rest of the community on February 19th.

It's essentially a company that streams and records over-the-air (local) channels to computers, iPads, iPhones, etc. There are some courtroom battles about the legality, but they claim that they're on firm ground by having a tiny antenna and separate device for each subscriber, thus mimicking the already legal method of receiving and recording local broadcasts.

My first month is free and it's $8/month after that. I tried streaming NBC's Winter Olympics coverage and it worked well on my PC. I can pause and restart shows and record them (up to 20 hours) just like a DVR. Another $4/month allows 60 hours of storage and the ability to record 2 shows at once.

I canceled cable and satellite TV years ago, so this might come in handy when I want to watch network shows, ball games, etc., as I already have a Mac Mini connected to my TV.

Looks like you can authorize 5 devices per account.

https://aereo.com/about

Correct me if I've misunderstood what you wrote...

With Aereo, " I can pause,restart & record ( up to 20 hours) just like a DVR "

Is that to a computer ?...

Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I guess, but isn't that what Hulu and Netflix are for?
Hulu and Netflix don't allow you to watch live television -- they allow you to watch certain shows that they've decided to make available. Aereo streams live, over-the-air television from San Antonio broadcasters. You won't be able to watch the WOAI news or a KENS Spurs game on Hulu or Netflix -- live or otherwise.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchodrive View Post
Correct me if I've misunderstood what you wrote...

With Aereo, " I can pause,restart & record ( up to 20 hours) just like a DVR "

Is that to a computer ?...
I'm no expert and haven't fooled with it much, but I assume the recording is stored on Aereo's servers and streamed to your device on command.

Here is a list of supported playback devices: https://aereo.com/devices

Judging by what I've read, one drawback is that you must be within your local service area to watch TV. I don't know how large that area is, but I don't think you'll be able to watch if you're out of town.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Hulu and Netflix don't allow you to watch live television -- they allow you to watch certain shows that they've decided to make available. Aereo streams live, over-the-air television from San Antonio broadcasters. You won't be able to watch the WOAI news or a KENS Spurs game on Hulu or Netflix -- live or otherwise.
I'm just thinking for myself, if that's what i want ot watch i'll just turn on the TV. I don't usually watch shows live or record them anyway. If they aren't on Netflix or Hulu then I don't bother with it. I'm not arguing about the service, it just doesn't make sense for me, individually.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I'm just thinking for myself, if that's what i want ot watch i'll just turn on the TV. I don't usually watch shows live or record them anyway. If they aren't on Netflix or Hulu then I don't bother with it. I'm not arguing about the service, it just doesn't make sense for me, individually.
It's certainly not for everyone, but it does have its uses. People could watch the news on their iPads while on the bus, for instance. I used it to stream the Olympics live at my office this afternoon, I don't think there's an easy/legal way to do that without having a cable TV or satellite TV subscription.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
It's certainly not for everyone, but it does have its uses. People could watch the news on their iPads while on the bus, for instance. I used it to stream the Olympics live at my office this afternoon, I don't think there's an easy/legal way to do that without having a cable TV or satellite TV subscription.
I have a USB TV tuner (looks like an oversize jump drive) that plugs into my PC, and allows me to connect to an OTA antenna or cable TV, and watch TV on my PC. It also functions as a DVR, allowing me to record to the hard drive. It's a way to watch and record local TV programs on a desktop or laptop/portable, without incurring a monthly fee.

The tough part with that kind of setup would be receiving a reliable signal outside your home base. You would essentially need a fixed antenna or cable TV feed you could access. I think that's where Aereo would have the advantage - the segment that would want to watch live local TV programming on the go. It could also be an alternative for those who want to cut the cord, but have difficulty pulling in local channels with an antenna.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio