Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:37 AM

838 posts, read 1,210,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
What I'm asking is this:

Would it be better to prevent a crime, or let someone become a victim of a crime, so that the perpetrator can be caught, thereby allowing someone to collect a cash reward?

I'm guessing you've never been a victim of a crime. I have, and I would have greatly preferred that those crimes been prevented in the first place.
How you define 'a crime' and how you define 'a victim' would determine whether or not I've ever been a victim by your standards.

I've had my car broken into and things were taken from my car. Would I have preferred that someone stop the crime as opposed to letting it happen and then turning them in? I am not sure there is a preference from my perspective.

What I think I would prefer is that the person commiting the crime is caught and punished. I would hope that a lesson was learned and that person didn't go on to commit more crime.

If the person that broke into my car had been stopped before the crime was commited, with no consequences, I would bet they are likely to go out and commit that crime again at some point so I don't think I would consider that a good solution. Certainly better for me in some ways but potentially worse for me in others if the next crime that person commits is violent and they happen to commit it against me or someone I care about.

In the case of shining a laser at an aircraft, I think as a passenger on that aircraft, I would be equally pleased with either option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 02:30 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
Article states most offenders are teens and adults between 35-45 between midnight and 7 AM. So, miscreants, and drunks. Nothing good happens in San Antonio during those hours. None of these offenders are of correct mind to weigh the possible consequences of their actions. Is the general law abiding, productive to society citizen going to be awake to notice and report this sort of activity? Probably not.

You can't prevent a jacka$$ from being just that, maybe there are things that can be done preemptively to render their actions pointless? I wonder if some technology exists or could be developed to deflect, screen, or otherwise render a laser strike ineffective to the pilots? I would be interested to hear from someone in the know on that. Surely military aircraft have some defense against this sort of thing, right? Makes good sense to apply that to commercial and private aircraft as well when so many lives can be put at risk from one person's bad judgement.
This is a bit of sleep discrimination to judge a whole group one is not even around or awake to judge. Had a bit of arson here once and the neighbor who was awake quickly came to rouse us and began setting out the fire with our manguera.

It is likely that these other people are just bored and lonely while everyone else they know is asleep so they make foolish decisions like lasing a plane. They are likely not drunk because even that might relieve their boredom and anyone that tipsy or sloshed CBA to do something like that.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:36 PM

923 posts, read 1,502,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spursrock View Post
Lol okay
Beat me to it.

Drama...

Old 02-19-2014, 02:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,050,358 times
Ok here is my question, why the heck would anyone do this in the first place? Are they trying to be funny? Or are they actually trying to cause damage to the air crew, therefore endangering travelers. I just don't see how it could even be amusing to try and do this. What is the motivation?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
This is a bit of sleep discrimination to judge a whole group one is not even around or awake to judge. Had a bit of arson here once and the neighbor who was awake quickly came to rouse us and began setting out the fire with our manguera.

It is likely that these other people are just bored and lonely while everyone else they know is asleep so they make foolish decisions like lasing a plane. They are likely not drunk because even that might relieve their boredom and anyone that tipsy or sloshed CBA to do something like that.
Sleep discrimination? That was a new one for me, didn't realize there was such an item until I followed your link. I meant no offense, and apoligize if you were offended. I only meant to convey that under the cover of darkness when the general populous is asleep, bad people tend to do bad things in San Antonio (or anywhere) as there are a lot less open eyes to catch them in the act.

I'm not in agreement on the drunk point. Alchohol impairs judgement. People do things they wouldn't normally do, even if bored.

FWIW, until recently, I would run daily at 4 am. I have personally encountered: Tagging in progress, drug use in a city park, car burglary in progress, and a house burglary (after it was done). Although I couldn't prevent any of them, I was able to report them after the fact. Reporting after the fact wouldn't help those folks on a plane or the families sleeping peacefully below if something horrible were to happen. So, that said... back to topic.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Quote:

Are you sure the insomniac wasn't also the arsonist? Or is that more sleep discrimination? That actually does happen, though. The one who sets the fire either watches from afar or is the hero for saving everyone.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:51 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Isn't their equipment in the cockpits of aircraft which allow them to zero in on anyone lasing them?
No. They do not have equipment to zero in on the laser. With the increase of low cost laser devices over the years the problem has increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio