U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2014, 11:00 PM
 
36 posts, read 53,052 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

I live in an area near airport and live with airplane noise and it's not that bad , but everyonce in a while one will fly over that makes my whole house shake. Looks to be older aircrafts. Is there any regulations on amount of decibel noise? Is there a place to complain to? So far I have noticed Southwest Airlines is the quietest and America Airlines is the worst.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2014, 12:00 AM
 
3,481 posts, read 5,753,275 times
Reputation: 2272
http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/E...hip/Noise.aspx
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,071 posts, read 34,729,105 times
Reputation: 14256
Quote:
So far I have noticed Southwest Airlines is the quietest
I've observed, both from the ground and on maps of air traffic into SAT that Southwest Airlines pilots tend to take unusual routes to get to the final approach path. Apparently, the airline offers them some kind of financial incentive to keep the plane in the air for the minimum time possible.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:32 AM
 
894 posts, read 1,294,059 times
Reputation: 1174
Southwest Airlines doesn't have their own set of approach plates. All airlines use the same ones as determined by the FAA. See available options here: San Antonio Intl Airport IFR Plates (San Antonio, TX) [KSAT/SAT]

As far as noise for a particular airframe, American is phasing out their MD-80s/82s in lieu of new 737-800s (quieter and more efficient), though these have yet to start regular service to SAT. For airport noise in general, I would have to ask which was there first...the house or the airport?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM
 
2,600 posts, read 7,154,962 times
Reputation: 2456
NOISE MEASUREMENT:

http://www.sanantonio.gov/Aviation/E...gulations.aspx

Physical Address
San Antonio International Airport
9800 Airport Blvd.
San Antonio, TX 78216

Mailing Address
Aviation Department
9800 Airport Blvd. Terminal A, Mezzanine
San Antonio, TX 78216

Administrative Office Hours
Monday – Friday
7:45 AM – 4:30 PM

Airport 24 Hour
Communications Line
210.207.3411
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
229 posts, read 309,867 times
Reputation: 306
My take on all the people complaining about the airport noise is, If your house was bought after the mid 1940's then the problem is yours. It's kinda like the people that buy a house next to a rock quarry then complain about the noise. Get-a-life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,071 posts, read 34,729,105 times
Reputation: 14256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRick View Post
My take on all the people complaining about the airport noise is, If your house was bought after the mid 1940's then the problem is yours. It's kinda like the people that buy a house next to a rock quarry then complain about the noise. Get-a-life.
Personally, I like seeing planes and a little jet noise doesn't bother me. The second place I rented after college was a block away from a municipal airport. And the house I grew up in had great view of a municipal airport's flight path right outside the front window.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 PM
 
3,481 posts, read 5,753,275 times
Reputation: 2272
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckRick View Post
My take on all the people complaining about the airport noise is, If your house was bought after the mid 1940's then the problem is yours. It's kinda like the people that buy a house next to a rock quarry then complain about the noise. Get-a-life.
It is primarily jet engine noise that is the problem.

Seeing that jet-powered aircraft were the future, the City of San Antonio purchased additional land to the west of the airport (closing the segment of Jones-Maltsberger Road that ran through it), so that Runway 12-30 could be extended and upgraded, allowing jet aircraft to land and take off at SAT. The runway upgrade was completed in the early 1960s. In 1966, a section of Bitters Road was closed, and Runway 3-21 was extended for jet aircraft use.

Problem was, neighborhoods to the SE of 12-30 (Runway 12 is the most frequently used for departures at SAT), and also neighborhoods to the south of Runway 3-21, were pretty fully developed by that time. As air travel became a more common mode of travel, as jet aircraft replaced propeller-driven aircraft, and as the population of the San Antonio area grew (with more people flying), airplane noise was becoming more of a problem.

But in recent years, newer jet aircraft came with quieter engines, most older aircraft have been retrofitted with quieter engines, and tri and quad jets have become less common. Probably the worst offenders at SAT these days, would be the old DC-10s used by FedEx, but these are being phased out in favor of MD-11s, which are quieter. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, the MD-80s (the backbone of American Airlines fleet at SAT) are also pretty noisy, but these are also slowly being phased out. So, while not going away, the noise problem should be gradually becoming less of a problem.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:50 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,501 posts, read 1,988,988 times
Reputation: 1681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
It is primarily jet engine noise that is the problem.

Seeing that jet-powered aircraft were the future, the City of San Antonio purchased additional land to the west of the airport (closing the segment of Jones-Maltsberger Road that ran through it), so that Runway 12-30 could be extended and upgraded, allowing jet aircraft to land and take off at SAT. The runway upgrade was completed in the early 1960s. In 1966, a section of Bitters Road was closed, and Runway 3-21 was extended for jet aircraft use.

Problem was, neighborhoods to the SE of 12-30 (Runway 12 is the most frequently used for departures at SAT), and also neighborhoods to the south of Runway 3-21, were pretty fully developed by that time. As air travel became a more common mode of travel, as jet aircraft replaced propeller-driven aircraft, and as the population of the San Antonio area grew (with more people flying), airplane noise was becoming more of a problem.

But in recent years, newer jet aircraft came with quieter engines, most older aircraft have been retrofitted with quieter engines, and tri and quad jets have become less common. Probably the worst offenders at SAT these days, would be the old DC-10s used by FedEx, but these are being phased out in favor of MD-11s, which are quieter. And as mentioned earlier in this thread, the MD-80s (the backbone of American Airlines fleet at SAT) are also pretty noisy, but these are also slowly being phased out. So, while not going away, the noise problem should be gradually becoming less of a problem.

Well written. The only thing I would add is that the area NE of renamed runway 4/22 for which the city accepted federal funds and in return would not develop the area along Wetmore was ignored by the city thus many noise complaints from runway 4 departures.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2014, 11:39 AM
 
2,721 posts, read 3,745,549 times
Reputation: 1536
Default Grin and Bear It ,Yes the house trembles,

I know what you mean SA History---If , if you'd lived here in the sixties and fifties when there were Air Bases at all four corners of San Antonio you would not have believed the nosie pollution. Unbelievable.
Worst was northwest San Antonio, via Thunderbird Hills there on Ingram Rd.. One could clearly view the guy flying the Fighter Jet, wearing the Helmet with the oxygen mask -they looked to be a couple hundred feeet off the ground from a hilltop.
C-5 A's were the absolute worst of all. You could count the rivets and wheels on the bottom of
these enormous craft.
Wheels? 23 of them,I remember, underneath the noise was deafening, complete. Headed for Kelly Field they were and so there we sat literally underneath of them, no cable t.v. in those days just an outside antennae , and so, the broadcast signal would be compleltely obliterated and even if it was not you couln't have heard anything. You had to just accept the fact that you were going to miss a part of the television program you were watching until the thing passed over head completely. The picture would completely cloud over with snow gradually , completely disappear, and then gradually return as the thing passed away from our house location and as the noise receded. This process of the C-5 A flying low overhead would cause loss of braoadcast signal for a total of about 2 minutes.Slowly the picture would disappear off the television screen , you could hear the thing approaching,then it would become so loud, you could not hear conversations, watch tv or converse over the telephone. Everything would then go back to normal as the noise receded.
We just accepted it as a part of living in San Antonio. Would just forget it.
So I know exactly what you write about...can feel it still.

The sonic booms we lived with when we lived within a Mile of Brooks Field out off Goliad was bad too. I was a kid of maybe9 or 10 yrs. , would be outside, and all of a sudden, a deafeningly loud , BOOM!!! would come from overhead..Scare hell out of us it did. Never did get used to that. Too sudden and
startling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahistory View Post
I live in an area near airport and live with airplane noise and it's not that bad , but everyonce in a while one will fly over that makes my whole house shake. Looks to be older aircrafts. Is there any regulations on amount of decibel noise? Is there a place to complain to? So far I have noticed Southwest Airlines is the quietest and America Airlines is the worst.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top