Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 02:18 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
No, you can't guarantee that all you can do is speculate.

No, you can't guarantee that all you can do is speculate. You like to speculate as though it is fact, you should preface your speculation by stating it is your opinion and not try and state it as though it is fact.

One thing I can state from personal experience, if you get one of those tickets, go to court and fight it. If the officer that wrote you the ticket is not the same officer that registered you on radar, the judge can and likely will throw it out when it goes to court. A police officer should not be writing citations for violations they did not witness. Then again, maybe I just got a judge that doesn't like shady cop tactics either.
The question would then be, how many judges would be perfectly fine with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 02:33 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:

No, you can't guarantee that all you can do is speculate. You like to speculate as though it is fact, you should preface your speculation by stating it is your opinion and not try and state it as though it is fact.

One thing I can state from personal experience, if you get one of those tickets, go to court and fight it. If the officer that wrote you the ticket is not the same officer that registered you on radar, the judge can and likely will throw it out when it goes to court. A police officer should not be writing citations for violations they did not witness. Then again, maybe I just got a judge that doesn't like shady cop tactics either.
Whenever I see the guy on the bridge as I take the Fredericksburg rd nearby turn around, I have never seen him wear an uniform with any kind of marking. I take this turn around M-F during my trip home so I pretty much see the guy there whenever they are doing this "speed trap" or whatever you want to call it.

If he is wearing an uniform, it isn't the normal kind I see often.

Sometimes he has an uniformed officer next to him but not all the time. This brings me to another point, sometimes the uniformed officer stands in the middle of the street and acts aggravated if you slow down so you don't hit him. He will wave his hands telling you to hurry on by.

Not the best place to be standing in my opinion.

Last edited by Azure110; 03-02-2014 at 02:44 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 02:41 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,801 times
In general, all Judges would be and are fine with it, because it is a well vetted legal principle. The sharing of intelligence is critical to law enforcement...and most any other human endeavor.

Yes, as always, I understand "yall don't like them shady tactics" and even question the legality of it...because all you know is how you feel, you don't understand the issue.

Without the principle of "what one officer (or officer of the court/judiciary) knows, we could not have critical things like warrants or even basic stuff like one officer communicating with another "Hey, I saw the guy with the gun go behind the building by you, he is wearing all black with a red hat..." which functionally and legally is NO different than "Hey, I just saw the black corolla TX LP 123456 doing 85 in a 55."

Few judges would throw such a thing out based on that.

If you listen to people on forums or even in real life, it never amazes me how many people talk about "Then the judge dismissed the ticket..." As someone who has spent lot if time in various courts...statistically almost all of these people are lying because it just doesn't happen and almost all tickets that are dismissed or reduced are an act of mercy not a victory.

Of course few people tell stories of how they were wrong and they will interpret mercy in a delusional way most often.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:42 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,029,031 times
Quote:

The question would then be, how many judges would be perfectly fine with that?

Old 03-02-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Whenever I see the guy on the bridge as I take the turn around, I have never seen him wear an uniform with any kind of marking. I take this turn around M-F during my trip home so I pretty much see the guy there whenever they are doing this "speed trap" or whatever you want to call it.

If he is wearing an uniform, it isn't the normal kind I see often.

Sometimes he has an uniformed officer next to him but not all the time. This brings me to another point, sometimes the uniformed officer stands in the middle of the street and acts aggravated if you slow down so you don't hit him. He will wave his hands telling you to hurry on by.
1. The laws requires for an indentifying uniform...not one to your satisfaction.

2. So what if the officer seems angry...did you suffer any loss because of it? You were acting in a way contrary to the mission the officer had. That was to direct you and the other thousands of people through a peril as fast as possible, the officer got your attention and then directed you to act in a certain way that you clearly understand.

You have tunnel vision. You can only understand the situation through your eyes. The goal of the encounter was to get you through and the officer did that. The officer and by extension, the situation doesn't care what your motivations are. They are not a part of the process. The system he employed, again, by your own admission, worked and therefore, the goal was accomplished. All you can take away from that is how it made you feel. There are thousands of people and not enough time for you to be special.

Doesn't anyone respect the mission anymore? Have we got to the point where people cant see anything beyond the end of their noses? While the degree is different, this is functionally no different than a cop pushing you out of the way of a speeding bus...and what you take away from the experience is how rough the cop was with you.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post

Not the best place to be standing in my opinion.
Chasing after guys shooting at you isn't the best idea either...what do you think cops do? Again, your world view is so myopic that you cant even account for the necessity of the dangerousness of the job?

Yes, I get it, now you will tell us your opinions on how he could have done it better and that is why it wasn't a good idea in your opinion. Again, delusional myopia...even if you are right sometimes, you are convinced that, in spite of the hundred plus years of modern policing that you have little to no experience with, you are convinced you have a better way based on something you see for a few minutes every now and then.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,726 times
I really enjoy these cops are out to get me threads

Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:

I work enough with the SAPD to know their rules and procedures, and I can guarantee it more than you can speculate I can't!

Quote:
"Shady cop tactics?!?" Weren't you the one breaking the law? Sounds hypocritical to me...

And as that tactic is legal, I doubt any judge is going to dismiss any citations given from it.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:29 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
If there were so much concern, why isn't the largest porportion of SAPD on the roads from 8PM-4AM?
Because crimes are being committed from 4am to 8pm as well...

Old 03-02-2014, 03:46 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,775,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
1. The laws requires for an indentifying uniform...not one to your satisfaction.

2. So what if the officer seems angry...did you suffer any loss because of it? You were acting in a way contrary to the mission the officer had. That was to direct you and the other thousands of people through a peril as fast as possible, the officer got your attention and then directed you to act in a certain way that you clearly understand.

You have tunnel vision. You can only understand the situation through your eyes. The goal of the encounter was to get you through and the officer did that. The officer and by extension, the situation doesn't care what your motivations are. They are not a part of the process. The system he employed, again, by your own admission, worked and therefore, the goal was accomplished. All you can take away from that is how it made you feel. There are thousands of people and not enough time for you to be special.

Doesn't anyone respect the mission anymore? Have we got to the point where people cant see anything beyond the end of their noses? While the degree is different, this is functionally no different than a cop pushing you out of the way of a speeding bus...and what you take away from the experience is how rough the cop was with you.
Did you ever meet someone whose opinion you can never sway or change? Someone who always thinks he is right? Yeah....me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio