Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshomamench View Post
If you listen to people on forums or even in real life, it never amazes me how many people talk about "Then the judge dismissed the ticket..." As someone who has spent lot if time in various courts...statistically almost all of these people are lying because it just doesn't happen and almost all tickets that are dismissed or reduced are an act of mercy not a victory.

Of course few people tell stories of how they were wrong and they will interpret mercy in a delusional way most often.
But we should listen to the guy that is out there writing these tickets because there is no conflict of interest in his message. Of course, there is also the fact that you are 'people on forums' yourself. So taking your advice, I shouldn't listen to you either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 04:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
No offense, but I could care less whether he had identifying insignia or not. He was on a bridge 50 feet above me, pointing something that looked more like a rifle than a radar gun. That's really all I care about, in the end.

Again, I could care less whether it's stealth, officially unmarked, or a pink, glitter-fied SWAT truck. The fact of the matter was, there were cars that were unrecognizable as any type of official state, county, or city business, period. At least, not to me driving past them!

Yes I think you've made yourself clear on this point. Could do without the patronizing tone. :-/

I'm using that term because it is a colloquialism that needs no explanation.

Sorry, but I really hate this kind of thinking. I used to think like that, but I sure do not anymore. Not with what is going on in the U.S. today. Trust but verify...and that is exactly what I am doing. I'm not a speeder in any way and half the time I am going a bit under the limit. That's what happens when you have young kids, I guess.

I have a few relations that are in LE; my brother, two of my cousins. My father was in the FBI at one point in his career after getting out of the Marines and going to law school, but he was based out of Atlanta in the 50s and he hated it. I would hope every single one of them would support my questioning of tactics used in this day and age (whether or not they agreed). My brother believes "all's fair in love and war" when it comes to things like speeding (we've had the discussion before) but he certainly thinks taxpayer money and manpower could and should be used elsewhere.

And really, my issue is not with pulling people over for speeding. I don't know how many times I have to clarify that. It's with the way they did it, the legalities and wisdom in it. Obviously the first part has been answered. The second part is clearly a matter of opinion.
How dare you question the police!??? Blasphemer!

I agree with you but unfortunately I cant cite the Texas penal code as to why I agree with you.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I work enough with the SAPD to know their rules and procedures, and I can guarantee it more than you can speculate I can't!
So we're just supposed to take your word for it? You're just some random guy on a forum. What actual proof do you have? You said you can guarantee it. Prove it!

Old 03-02-2014, 04:51 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,500,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
Did you ever meet someone whose opinion you can never sway or change? Someone who always thinks he is right? Yeah....me too.
My position is that what the officer did worked and by your own admission it did as well.

Your position is you didn't like it.

I challenge you to show me how you suffered a loss that needs indemnification. I further challenge you to show me how the officer was wrong.

We are to the point where there are not more opinions or feelings. If you cant show those things, you are left with nothing but how you feel about it.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
But we should listen to the guy that is out there writing these tickets because there is no conflict of interest in his message. Of course, there is also the fact that you are 'people on forums' yourself. So taking your advice, I shouldn't listen to you either?
In order to prove your point, are you actually planting your flag in "Why should we believe you?" when it comes to the available facts about case resolution in municipal courts? The fact that *I* am writing the tickets is an utter red hearing. It has nothing to do with outcomes.

Old 03-02-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
The fact that *I* am writing the tickets is an utter red hearing. It has nothing to do with outcomes.
Said the guy writing the tickets.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Said the guy writing the tickets.

Wow. We will never be able to have this conversation. Your emotional attachment to the side you are on prevents you from even understanding cause and effect, or at the very least, care about them.

You do realize, you can be right without being foolish? When you take the things the other guy says that are demonstrably true and spin them...that is propaganda. It does work on some people. It is quite transparent to others.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
These threads always crack me up. Traffic enforcement has been a part of the automobile experience since almost the beginning, and the whining started about 10 minutes later.

A "speed trap" is only real a speed trap if it involves some unfair rigging or manipulation, such as measuring speeds at the bottom of a steep hill, or right after a drastically reduced speed limit, with no advance warning.

But using unmarked cars or officers to check your speed or other traffic law enforcement, how is that an issue? The police are absolutely under no mandate at all to warn you they're enforcing the law. And if you're observing the law, it shouldn't be a problem.

Seriously, that's all there is to it.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Wow. We will never be able to have this conversation. Your emotional attachment to the side you are on prevents you from even understanding cause and effect, or at the very least, care about them.

You do realize, you can be right without being foolish? When you take the things the other guy says that are demonstrably true and spin them...that is propaganda. It does work on some people. It is quite transparent to others.
It is no different than coming on here perpetually harping about the rights of police officers and telling people not to believe anything they read and only half of what they see simply because you are able to spout some instance of a penal code.

You are a cop, you post from that perspective.

You and I both know, most people won't fight the police in court because it is easier to roll over and let cops do whatever they want. You and I also both know that a fair percentage of the time citizens do actually fight back in court they win their case. Of course, you don't want everyone else knowing those things because that means more days for you in court and less time on the streets making everyone else's life unpleasant.

You say the things you say from the perspective you have and you will likely pull up some irrelevant statute to prove it. The point is, your propaganda is just propaganda too, just from a different perspective.

At the end of the day, it is the court system that decides what is right and wrong, not a cop and you're lying if you say that the court systems always agrees with cops.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:01 PM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
bspray - could there ever be an instance where a cop would be right??
Quote:
It is no different than coming on here perpetually harping about the rights of police officers and telling people not to believe anything they read and only half of what they see simply because you are able to spout some instance of a penal code.

You are a cop, you post from that perspective.

You and I both know, most people won't fight the police in court because it is easier to roll over and let cops do whatever they want. You and I also both know that a fair percentage of the time citizens do actually fight back in court they win their case. Of course, you don't want everyone else knowing those things because that means more days for you in court and less time on the streets making everyone else's life unpleasant.

You say the things you say from the perspective you have and you will likely pull up some irrelevant statute to prove it. The point is, your propaganda is just propaganda too, just from a different perspective.

At the end of the day, it is the court system that decides what is right and wrong, not a cop and you're lying if you say that the court systems always agrees with cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio