Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,655,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameshardin View Post
I think that they are increasing their security measures, especially after the suicide they had one the pistol line a year or so ago. It used the be that there were not range officers on duty many times. I was there about two years ago, and this guy left his girlfriend with his subcompact Glock 45. She had maybe put 4-5 rounds through it before he left her to her own devices. She limp wristed it and had a stove pipe. She simply left the weapon on the table, facing down the firing line at other shooters, and left to find him. Being a certified Army RSO, I procured the weapon, cleared the malfunction and removed the magazine. She threw a massive fit as I walked into the "office" with the weapon, saying it was no danger and I should never have touched her boyfriends gun, on top of that, the staff did not seem to find it concerning that it was left in this condition. Maybe I am just hyper vigilant, but I feel that safety cannot be taken seriously enough when dealing with firearms, and inexperienced people interacting with them.

AMEN . People need to realize these are not toys and need to be used with caution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:03 AM

581 posts, read 1,185,429 times
I'm glad they've gotten better. Any move in a right direction for safety is a plus in my book. I don't return plainly because it's just way too far for me.

But my expierence was a little crazy. Went one Saturday in '12, I believe. It was packed as usual, no big deal. I waited and BSed military speak with a few guys who were waiting as well. Got my pistol lane and the in the lane next to me was a young female, 20's and presumably her boyfriend. Firing a Glock 19. She kept having issues racking the slide. Now as a female, I get it. It can sometimes be difficult. I had my issues when I was younger. But, in my mind, that's something that you can work on at home, dry. But that's just me.

Anyways, RSO and boyfriend were helpling while lanes were cold. Lanes got hot, stepped up and she loaded a magazine and tried to rack the slide, pointed down and arms extended. She couldn't. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw her bring the weapon towards her body. I looked for sure. Muzzle was pointed towards me. Finger on trigger, of all places. Weapon is loaded and she's trying to rack the slide like she's opening a tough jar of pickles. I immediately placed my weapon on the table and called a 'cease fire'. Habit, I know. RSO ran up to me and I just pointed at her. She was frozen in the 'opening jar' position. He just went, "whoa, whoa, don't point it at other people." And she just said 'Sorry." Nope. I was done. I got all my gear and left.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:13 PM

501 posts, read 1,047,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga29 View Post
I'm glad they've gotten better. Any move in a right direction for safety is a plus in my book. I don't return plainly because it's just way too far for me.

But my expierence was a little crazy. Went one Saturday in '12, I believe. It was packed as usual, no big deal. I waited and BSed military speak with a few guys who were waiting as well. Got my pistol lane and the in the lane next to me was a young female, 20's and presumably her boyfriend. Firing a Glock 19. She kept having issues racking the slide. Now as a female, I get it. It can sometimes be difficult. I had my issues when I was younger. But, in my mind, that's something that you can work on at home, dry. But that's just me.

Anyways, RSO and boyfriend were helpling while lanes were cold. Lanes got hot, stepped up and she loaded a magazine and tried to rack the slide, pointed down and arms extended. She couldn't. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw her bring the weapon towards her body. I looked for sure. Muzzle was pointed towards me. Finger on trigger, of all places. Weapon is loaded and she's trying to rack the slide like she's opening a tough jar of pickles. I immediately placed my weapon on the table and called a 'cease fire'. Habit, I know. RSO ran up to me and I just pointed at her. She was frozen in the 'opening jar' position. He just went, "whoa, whoa, don't point it at other people." And she just said 'Sorry." Nope. I was done. I got all my gear and left.
Man this happens way too often. You don't flash anyone with your weapon, unloaded or loaded. I would have done the exact same thing as you did. Props on your quick reaction! Glocks tend to have a pretty stiff slide. If she is struggling that much with it, then she should get a different semi-auto or a revolver. She needs to be made aware that her inability to rack the slide will not only make it difficult to chamber, but more importantly, to clear the chamber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio