Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 08:29 AM

187 posts, read 945,205 times

Advertisements

Besides the double dipping its going to cause more congestion. Its a yankee notion infecting our state. Dont even begin to believe its temporary or "just till we pay x y z" they promised that in Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 10:00 AM

178 posts, read 788,043 times
I don't understand why people think that just because Dallas,Houston,and Austin have toll roads that SA needs them. I use the ones here in DFW all the time because I have to but they don't relieve consgestion just because you pay to drive on them, it just adds 40 bucks every month to my expenses, Houston is the same way I've driven on them as well.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:27 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,493 times
I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it; the recent push on toll roads was caused by our REPUBLICAN governors and legislature. Remember the old lie about how Rs were all about; "no new taxes, doing less with more", etc?

What they did was take the money in the highway fund, acquire the rights of way, do some engineering studies, then they took the money for construction and maintenance and PUT IT IN THE GENERAL BUDGET.

Then they said; "OMG, we don't have any money, but luckily I know some "friends (HEAVY campaign contributors) who will build the roads and maintain them".

Of course the politicians have plenty of money, they'll get the toll authority to give them toll tags so they don't have to pay.

Of course the contracts for the toll roads MAKE IT ILLEGAL for the state to build ANY COMPETING ROADS, for the next 50 to 100 years.

So if you live in SA, and you have any intention of driving north on 281, at least past 1604, either go NOW, or be prepared to PAY.

golfgod

Old 11-29-2007, 05:11 PM

30 posts, read 119,046 times
I am totally against the idea of paying for our highways....410 was a huge construction! Why is there no toll way there???
I agree, polititians will have "free tags" so what do they care....
I think we REALLY need to work on 1604 and yes we need to work on 281 N! But no tollways...
Lets make San Antonio, the great city that it is with NO tollways!

Old 11-29-2007, 06:29 PM

251 posts, read 710,083 times
If you all don't want toll roads, push you state rep. and sen. to pass an income tax law. This state can't run forever on just the sales tax and Federal grants. Look how Texas compares to other states in revenue via taxes: http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/06staxrank.html
Take into account the states' populations as well. Rather poor for the nation's second most populated.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:23 PM

679 posts, read 2,833,070 times
I read that they are going to charge .17/mile for 281, and price will escalate from there. When people start having to pay .50/mile, they won't think it's so great. Imagine having to pay that fee to get to work for a $10/hour salary. What they should do is raise the gas tax, instead.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,686 times
If you're making a $10/hour salary, you're probably not living in Stone Oak.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,941,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEsananto View Post
If you all don't want toll roads, push you state rep. and sen. to pass an income tax law. This state can't run forever on just the sales tax and Federal grants. Look how Texas compares to other states in revenue via taxes: http://www.census.gov/govs/statetax/06staxrank.html
Take into account the states' populations as well. Rather poor for the nation's second most populated.
Yes! Thats just what I want. Let Uncle Sam take even MORE of my money. So instead of having them build toll roads that only effects those who actually use the roads, you would rather they levy a state income tax to hit EVERYONE in the state? mmmmm..k

Same with increasing gas taxes. Do you think people on the southside want to pay higher gas prices in order for the state to fund more road projects on the northside?? I wouldn't.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
If you're making a $10/hour salary, you're probably not living in Stone Oak.
Your parents might be living in Stone Oak. And you might be living with them if you are in High School or going to college and trying to pay for some of your expenses with a part time job. You might be working at Bill Millers making $7/hour paying $3+ for a gallon of gas then your toll road expenses on top of that. Bill MIllers may have to increase their salaries. The price of Poorboys will need to rise as well.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM

483 posts, read 1,562,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Yes! Thats just what I want. Let Uncle Sam take even MORE of my money. So instead of having them build toll roads that only effects those who actually use the roads, you would rather they levy a state income tax to hit EVERYONE in the state? mmmmm..k

Same with increasing gas taxes. Do you think people on the southside want to pay higher gas prices in order for the state to fund more road projects on the northside?? I wouldn't.
You just got rep points from me. Why can't more people see this?? Would you really rather jack up the price of every single tank of gas you and everyone else in this state puts in their car just so you dont have to pay 17 cents per mile to drive on one road? Wow, that's got to be one of the most shortsighted things I've ever heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio