Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:48 PM

424 posts, read 609,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonio78209 View Post
Na, not really, wrong again. Seems that you have not read the post in it's entirety. High rise buildings were a only a part of my original post. There were several other points made.
No, you're right. You also brought up suburban sprawl. The same suburban sprawl you can and will find in every Texas city. San Antonio is in no way unique to the wash, rinse and repeat of suburban cookie cutter homes and grocery stores.

You also seem to think the "city" is at fault, as if they're the developers who invest or don't invest money into building downtown buildings or building cookie cutter McMansions. I read that and then at that point I realize the person who is writing and posting such nonsense isn't old enough gamble or rent a car.

You also seem to think the downtown UTSA campus is the main campus. It's one building that has about 6,000 students. You're not going to get much in the way of development geared towards a student body that small. Though, there are two or three student housing developments planned or under construction with a few blocks, so that's changing but be realistic.

Quote:
Sure, I mentioned the HDRC, they have been known to get in the way of progress downtown.
But they haven't. Please give me three true examples.

You seem to be confident in your claims, so this shouldn't be too difficult for you.

Quote:
Get off your high horse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 21,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
No, you're right. You also brought up subruban sprawl. The same suburban sprawl you can and will find in every Texas city. San Antonio is unique to cookie cutter homes.

You also seem to think the "city" is at fault, as if they're the ones investing money into the downtown buildings or the cookie cutter McMansions. At that point you realize the person who is writing and posting that nonsense isn't old enough gamble or rent a car.

But they haven't. Please give me three true examples.

You seem to be confident in your claims, so this shouldn't be too difficult for you.

Back in 2002, there were plans to build a 50 floor Sheraton Hotel where the Grand Hyatt sits. The HDRC and City Council didn't approve it because it would be taller than the Tower of the Americas (that shouldn't matter).

Well the original plans for the Grand Hyatt were changed so much, that the end result doesn't look so great. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice structure, but it's so wide.

Developers want to revamp the front of Joskes with several shops and while it's going in the right direction, the HDRC is frowning on some really cool ideas that were included that would make it unique.

The proposed redesign of the convention center looks amazing, it's a throwback to the 60's, in a good way. Well, they were involved and now the plan is on hold.

So yeah, I definitely do my research.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Back in 2002, there were plans to build a 50 floor Sheraton Hotel where the Grand Hyatt sits. The HDRC and City Council didn't approve it because it would be taller than the Tower of the Americas (that shouldn't matter).
That's wrong. It was approved and what killed it was 9/11. After 9/11, tourism declined so much, that a convention center was deemed unfeasible.

Quote:
Well the original plans for the Grand Hyatt were changed so much, that the end result doesn't look so great. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice structure, but it's so wide.
That again, wasn't the HDRC. That was a design-build project and the builder opted to go with the cheapest design.

Quote:
Developers want to revamp the front of Joskes with several shops and while it's going in the right direction, the HDRC is frowning on some really cool ideas that were included that would make it unique.
That is exactly what the HDRC is there for. Joske's is a historical building and the first design was pure crap. The second design was much better. Yes, the HDRC still denied it but in the end. the project will be better for it. HDRC effectively gave us a better project and didn't impede development.

Quote:
The proposed redesign of the convention center looks amazing, it's a throwback to the 60's, in a good way. Well, they were involved and now the plan is on hold.
Wait, what? The convention center is literally under construction as we speak. The design hasn't been changed. It is slated to open late next year.

What are you talking about?

Quote:
So yeah, I definitely do my research.
Well, whatever resources you're using, stop.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:53 AM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
While agree the HDRC unfairly gets blamed for things this is a good example of going to far IMO.

City hopes to save old Piggly Wiggly building - San Antonio Express-News

Old 03-17-2014, 08:55 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
That's wrong. It was approved and what killed it was 9/11. After 9/11, tourism declined so much, that a convention center was deemed unfeasible.

That again, wasn't the HDRC. That was a design-build project and the builder opted to go with the cheapest design.

That is exactly what the HDRC is there for. Joske's is a historical building and the first design was pure crap. The second design was much better. Yes, the HDRC still denied it but in the end. the project will be better for it. HDRC effectively gave us a better project and didn't impede development.

Wait, what? The convention center is literally under construction as we speak. The design hasn't been changed. It is slated to open late next year.

What are you talking about?

Well, whatever resources you're using, stop.
Excellent responses.

The convention center actually has posted a video showing the improvements that will be made:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmnkVIEungk

If you really look at the projects downtown designed by (or in association with) in-town architects, they are usually of a modern design language. It is the hotels designed by a hotel chain's "corporate architects" that usually look boring and brown.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
I recently read in the newspaper that many locals have said that Alamo Plaza now has a carnival type atmosphere. Ripley's and little snow cone vendors should relocate to another area. It really needs to be revamped. I love history as well and it's very possible to blend modern and historical buildings, it's done all the time in other cities and it looks great. Yeah, the Alamodome isn't really pleasing to look at, I don't understand the idea behind the design.
curious.

is SA or AH area your hometown??

Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
While agree the HDRC unfairly gets blamed for things this is a good example of going to far IMO.

City hopes to save old Piggly Wiggly building - San Antonio Express-News
That's definitely one of the problems I have with the HDRC. Their broad definition of what can be considered "historical". It can be a piece of crap shack, but if it was built in 1919 and a former mayor threw up in it, it's historical and needs saving.

Also, I dislike some of the designs and architecture they've approved in the past. Thankfully, the new design guidelines will help solve that issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dastexan View Post
Austin also has trash for traffic (I mean if you think San Antonio has had poor planning for highways, what do you think Austin exactly is? I mean they have a grand total of 0 loops around the city, not to mention that nightmare called 35) and a very highly and quite frankly both racially, economically and socially divided in their city council type structure.

The city and its citizens fought back against highway construction back in the 80's/90's.. they didn't want more ugly, massive highways cutting through the city.

I'm glad they fought against it. We already have too many with I-35, MoPac, Ben White, and 183 creating treacherous conditions for walking/biking and terrible environmental impacts. The highways also facilitated socioeconomic and racial segregration.

If only the city had developed a rail system back then we'd be in great shape. Luckily the city is currently working on an urban rail system, bus rapid transit, and better bicycle infrastructure. The city has encouraged sustainable urban developments creating environments where people can walk and bike to places. The city has its fair share of sprawl but it's on the right track with incredible growth in and around the downtown area.

What's happening San Antonio is promising.. developments like the Pearl and Blue Star are bringing renewed interest in the city's core. I hope San Antonio can work on attracting families to the area as well

Last edited by LiveUrban; 03-17-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,925,997 times
I'm with the City Council on this one. Let the other asphalt jungles have the tall buildings. It's kinda nice to look across the City and not see a bunch of steel and glass. If that's what you want, maybe you should consider moving to a city like that. Most apparently the folks from here like it just like it is. Its what makes us different from the rest.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:49 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative, but please elaborate. I follow the HDRC agendas very closely, and most of the proposals for the renovation of the Joske's space (save the last tower scheme by a different architect) have been, in my opinion, lacking in good design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio