Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 05:23 AM

173 posts, read 617,321 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if anyone visits this site. What are your thoughts on Zillow's accuracy for S.A.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 05:33 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,025,045 times
Looks accurate for my house, and there's a beautiful overhead shot of my house and car in the (gasp!) driveway, and my oak tree is stunningly red/brown! Cool picture.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
Yep, I've used it before and information-wise I find it is a bit low. I suspect it uses tax records based on the last sale of the property. for our house it shows a value that is under what we paid over two years ago, and I know our home has increased in value. The actual value is closer to the high end of the listed value range.

And the imagery is simply Windows Live Local, it is not unique to Willow.com, simply the aerial imagery program that is tied to that web site. I actually used it to get our HOA to fix a water leak along the main road in our community...it showed up on the imagery!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 AM

314 posts, read 2,539,544 times
I like zillow. I used it to research approx. values of neighborhoods that I was interested in. I also like the make me move feature. You can claim your house, add pictures, and without putting it on the market, you can set a price that would make you consider moving. People interested in buying it can contact you.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:26 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,744,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquajox View Post
I like zillow. I used it to research approx. values of neighborhoods that I was interested in. I also like the make me move feature. You can claim your house, add pictures, and without putting it on the market, you can set a price that would make you consider moving. People interested in buying it can contact you.
And it works. I have my house listed on the make me move feature and have gotten emails and lots of traffic to my listing...and it isn't even on the market. No offers though.

A friend listed his house for sale on Zillow here in San Antonio and sold it - with no realtor involved. Not bad.

The values are low though. My home is listed for about 15% less than the market value based on price/square feet in my neighborhood. I agree - I think it is using tax values and since I have lived in my house for over six years it has been a while since the last sale.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:18 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,363 times
You might want to try this site as well.

Cyberhomes.com

It's similar to Zillow...but at least it gives you an additional option as opposed to using just one site.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:48 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,451 times
What an interesting site! My home is lower than those surrounding me, which is odd - but we've lived here the longest and have homestead so our taxes might be lower. I updated it, they said I had 2.5 baths, we have 2.75 I need to find a pic or take one. I did see that my house was estimated much higher earlier though

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
HORRIBLY INACCURATE! There's a lot that determines choosing true market value for a home. Zillow and other sites take a big snapshot of a market and average things out. Running true comparables is pretty detailed. Zillow can't tell you if you have granite, a pool, a deck, and other things that add and detract from your home. It also can't tell you if two sales in your neighborhood were foreclosures, thus pulling your price down. It can't tell you if the guy next door sold his house to a family member for cash and it was 20,000 overpriced, thus raising your values. There are way too many variables.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:01 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,908 times
It doesn't depict accurate sales information.

It does a crappy job in showing comparables.

You can add things to it though (I have a deck and added it in zillow).

I think it gives you a ball park value figure but just like the realtor stated in order to get a true sales price you need to add up all particulars of the house, area, etc. I don't think zillow does a good job of that.

Also, zillow isn't going to tell you if the place two doors down is a crack house. Someone who has been selling houses in the area would probably know that.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:05 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,677 times
I have used it. I listed my home when it was for sale and actually received an inquiry or two. I think their zestimates are very low as well but it kind of gives you a view into particular neighborhoods that would otherwise take a while to investigate. Its just one of several tools. My home sold for $20,000.00 more than they had estimated its value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio