Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

I am taking a new job in San Antonio straight out of college. Ill be moving there with my fiance who will be going for her masters. We both like the characteristics of the college neighborhoods/areas we live in near Minneapolis... coffee shops, cafes, bars, live music, people out and about. I need some advice on neighborhoods to look at.

Also, any thoughts on living inbetween SA and Austin so I can work in SA area (outside sales territory) and she could attend UT-Austin?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 08:55 AM

129 posts, read 399,720 times
Southtown is about it. Maybe check out Monte Vista too.

For between SA & Austin - there is San Marcos (college town) though I've never spent time there, so not sure what the scene is like.

Sounds like the scene you're looking for is in Austin, not really SA.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:01 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,270 times
I would agree that you are more suited to Austin is your fiance will be at Texas. It's a great town for the younger, hip, outdoorsy types. SA is great too, just more family oriented, much slower pace, and not an easy commute to UT.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM

107 posts, read 412,719 times
If you really like the urban feel of Minneapolis, you probably want to avoid any kind of Austin/SA commute and most of the area between have become freeway dominated chain store cities. The are few but great apartments downtown but your best bet is immediate north central area starting around Trinity University (Monte Vista, Manchke Park, River Road, Tobin Hill, Olmos Park, and Alta Vista) radiating outwards. The neighborhoods all have a great historic character, but the amenities are as convenient as other great urban neighborhoods. Southtown (king william, lavaca, bluestar) is the youngest area overall, but it's tough to find a good place because it's so popular. The city is on the move, though while not like Austin in the ways you describe Minneapolis, is just as fun to see evolve. You can find many people who think the same.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:02 AM

454 posts, read 505,202 times
Southtown, although I'm not sure I'd call it 'young' - it's got a lot of artists/urban types, cafes, etc but no one I know is under 30

SA doesn't have any place that has that real college community feel except maybe the N St Mary's strip, which is not quite the same. I wouldn't try to commute between Austin and SA.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 18,238 times
Look at New Braunfels, Selma, Cibolo, Schertz and San MArcos Tx. they are town (cities) between SanAntonio and Austin. But, the traffic on Ih 35 is horrible. So good luck on the commute. I work as a REALTOR in San Antonio and the pricess in the places I told you are affordable. Good Luck

Old 12-07-2007, 08:48 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,315,120 times
Maybe you can talk your new employer into letting you relocate to Austin. SA does not have what you are looking for. It is very laid back and family oriented.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 3,581 times
Default Driving time estimates during peak and off-peak hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMANZ View Post
Look at New Braunfels, Selma, Cibolo, Schertz and San MArcos Tx. they are town (cities) between SanAntonio and Austin. But, the traffic on Ih 35 is horrible. So good luck on the commute. I work as a REALTOR in San Antonio and the pricess in the places I told you are affordable. Good Luck
So Google maps says that from San Marcos to Downtown San Antonio is a 55min drive. San Marcos to UT-Austin is 40min drive. I'm sure this isn't realistic during traffic but could you or someone give me some peak and off-peak driving time estimates? Thanks as always.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:49 AM
AKN

2 posts, read 2,600 times
Default can you help plz

I studied in england and am looking to move to texas to start a new life.I graduate in electrical & electronics engineering.Can you pls advice how getting a job is like there and is it very competitive.
Are their enuf jobs for fresh graduate engineers? and how quickly can u get the job.
Thanks and would be looking 4ward 2 ur help in deciding.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
That's actually pretty accurate. Of course, an accident on 35 will snarl up the traffic pretty good, but they've done a lot of work recently to widen the roads.

I know that when I was in college (long ago), I was going to Southwest Texas (now Texas State) in SM, but I had a killer, paying, internship in SA. I chose to live in SA and commute for school 3 days a week. From my driveway to campus was 45 minutes. Traffic has gotten a little heavier since then, but the roads have been widened too, so it's about the same. I was living on the North Side, so I'd add another 5-10 minutes of driving to get downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio