Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justiciability View Post
One more thing, I just looked at your profile and saw that your zip code is 78154 - Schertz. I realize that is northeast of San Antonio but I wouldn't consider it the "northeast side". It's too far out there.

Brother... come closer to downtown before you make any generalizations. Schertz is not the place for you. I grew up in the Judson district so I'm very familiar with that whole area. Trust me, the urban core makes a difference.
I totally agree.

I'm a mid 30's white guy with a family. I live in Schertz and can attest that there is nothing social going on here. Actually there isn't much going on period. We spend a fair bit of our time in New Braunfels since it has a much better "local flavor" than the Schertz/Cibolo/Selma area. If we're not in NB then we're usually at the Pearl or somewhere off Broadway. If I was single, I would be looking to the live in the Pearl Brewery area or directly in downtown.

Sorry that you're having trouble with the dating scene though. Keep being open to finding someone and projecting confidence. It only takes one, and I hope you run into her, man. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 09:20 AM

21 posts, read 27,287 times
I have got to agree with the assessments others have made about the difficulty overall with social circles here in SA. I just moved here in November with my wife from PA where I was born and raised. We're white, mid 30's, highly educated, and no kids. To say between work requirements, not being any of the "3 M's" and our socioeconomic situation, it's been very difficult for us to meet anyone here, outside of work acquaintances. We are fortunate that we have each other granted, but can sympathize on where you're coming from. Definitely get that "friendly but don't really want to know you" vibe.
I would definitely take some of the advise here and move to a different part of the city if that is what you want to do. Unfortunately it's not an option for us.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:59 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits00 View Post
I have got to agree with the assessments others have made about the difficulty overall with social circles here in SA. I just moved here in November with my wife from PA where I was born and raised. We're white, mid 30's, highly educated, and no kids. To say between work requirements, not being any of the "3 M's" and our socioeconomic situation, it's been very difficult for us to meet anyone here, outside of work acquaintances. We are fortunate that we have each other granted, but can sympathize on where you're coming from. Definitely get that "friendly but don't really want to know you" vibe.
I would definitely take some of the advise here and move to a different part of the city if that is what you want to do. Unfortunately it's not an option for us.

If you can't find anyone to mingle with in the white educated areas then one would have to wonder. Have you tried Stone Oak, Alamo Heights area, or Southtown?

I'm also another person not of the three M's and I don;t have a hard time meeting people with similar interest but I do go out a lot. I would think work would be the first place to start considering you are probably surround by people of similar backgrounds and capabilities.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 AM

330 posts, read 587,625 times
For what it's worth, I am from SA and 1/2 Mexican descent, and I felt isolated and unhappy living in Schertz. We were luckily just renting out there while we looked for a house. It was a good experience in that it solidified what we didn't want. We live in Tobin Hill now, and it's way more our speed.

I don't want to come across as too critical of Schertz. Schertz is great for some people, and there's nothing inherently wrong with it...but it doesn't qualify as living IN San Antonio, IMO. If all I had to judge SA was my time in Schertz, I'd want to move too.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:13 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
LOL at the "Three Ms." This is the first place I've heard that.

FWIW - I'm sort of medical-ly associated, but I interact with very few medical types. If I do know medical types, I've met them in the community rather than at work related events. I socialized with a couple of work mates when I first arrived, but that was it. At this point I count more artists among my social circle than medical people.

I'm half Mexican, but again, that really hasn't influenced any relationships I've made. I'm not from here, arrived in my early 30s. Mostly I made friends through the community - in my neighborhood, playing soccer and ultimate.

I agree those Ms are the three major groups in the city, but I'm not sure one's social circle need be limited if they're not part of those groups. Location had a much greater impact on my social life than anything.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:10 PM

785 posts, read 954,088 times
I don't stay in Schertz all the time. I interact with people at work and head downtown on the weekend. I am pretty active anyways.

I just meant my overall experience of living here and I've been here for two and a half years. I've lived in other metro areas as well. It appears the Pearl area is different though.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:29 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,555,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaste View Post
I don't stay in Schertz all the time. I interact with people at work and head downtown on the weekend. I am pretty active anyways.

I just meant my overall experience of living here and I've been here for two and a half years. I've lived in other metro areas as well. It appears the Pearl area is different though.
It's not that the Pearl or Southtown are the be all and end all to social life in town. But, it's the daily stuff - walking home, passing Friendly Spot, stopping in for a few minutes to say hi to the staff, chatting with another, etc etc. And so on for most places around here. it's when it becomes part of your life rather than a destination that it's easier for social life to pick up.

Now, that said, expect many casual friendships. It takes a lot more, and a lot longer, to develop deeper friendships, but everyone starts somewhere.

Back when I moved here though, there was very little in Southtown, so that wasn't a factor in the early 00s.

Do you play any sports? Are you willing to try? That was probably the biggest factor for me in the early days. I wasn't particularly good, but found rec leagues to join and met people.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,264 times
Have you tried meet up? There are all sorts of clubs to meet people while socializing. Now, there aren't any in the area specifically for black men but who's to say you can't start one up and reach out to others? I did find one for black women in the area and I would encourage you to look at the scheduled events they have coming up and attend; this way you can market yourself and something may come of it.

Black Women of San Antonio (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup

BTw.. what on earth are you doing living in the Schertz area?

Old 04-01-2014, 01:16 PM

785 posts, read 954,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Have you tried meet up? There are all sorts of clubs to meet people while socializing. Now, there aren't any in the area specifically for black men but who's to say you can't start one up and reach out to others? I did find one for black women in the area and I would encourage you to look at the scheduled events they have coming up and attend; this way you can market yourself and something may come of it.

Closer to my job, but I don't mind going downtown.

Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's not that the Pearl or Southtown are the be all and end all to social life in town. But, it's the daily stuff - walking home, passing Friendly Spot, stopping in for a few minutes to say hi to the staff, chatting with another, etc etc. And so on for most places around here. it's when it becomes part of your life rather than a destination that it's easier for social life to pick up.

Now, that said, expect many casual friendships. It takes a lot more, and a lot longer, to develop deeper friendships, but everyone starts somewhere.

Back when I moved here though, there was very little in Southtown, so that wasn't a factor in the early 00s.

Do you play any sports? Are you willing to try? That was probably the biggest factor for me in the early days. I wasn't particularly good, but found rec leagues to join and met people.
I lift weights but I also do MMA so I know a few people in that social circle, but those groups are different ya know.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post

There are Meetup groups for black professionals. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm not trying to only hang around black people. I like hanging around a wide variety of people. It sounds like the OP might be the same way. But, I guess it couldn't hurt to try these groups in addition to others.
SA Single Black Professionals (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup
Black Professionals San Antonio (San Antonio, TX) - Meetup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio