Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 11:34 PM

424 posts, read 610,042 times

Advertisements

San Antonio is home to the largest bat colony in the world. With that said, hardly ever. Atleast I don't., You may see them but they hardly ever interact with humans. They're too busy eating insects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 05:19 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default Yep,

Millions of bats reside here along with millions of humans. Without interaction.
The closest you will come to a bat will a Louisville Slugger at a Little League Game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unintentionallyfunny View Post
San Antonio is home to the largest bat colony in the world. With that said, hardly ever. Atleast I don't., You may see them but they hardly ever interact with humans. They're too busy eating insects.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:54 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,218 times
It's common to see them at dusk. Look up towards the street lights, they'll be swooping around for the insects in the light. Maybe 2 or 3 of them is all. They don't/won't bother you though.

NOW, if you have a terra cotta roof.... that's a different story. We used to have that at our business, every evening, thousands of bats pour out of the tiles for their nightly run, and yeah, you'd get nearly swarmed as they poured out.
They'd get inside the building and we'd try to usher them out, but they never caused any harm.

It's illegal to harm certain species, so we never attempted any sort of pest control and just let them be. Eventually, the building facade was updated and with that, went the tiles. The bat colony moved to roost elsewhere.

BTW, you'll want to stay out of the large number of caves in the area and state parks. Flush with both spiders and bats.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:09 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,392,627 times
Default Wow,

Never knew this about terra cotta roofs. Have seen them around street lamps.
I had one swoop near me one time at Big Bend park as I was lying on a picnic bench there.
Perhaps after an insect I did not see. Perhaps saved me from a mosquito bite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
It's common to see them at dusk. Look up towards the street lights, they'll be swooping around for the insects in the light. Maybe 2 or 3 of them is all. They don't/won't bother you though.

NOW, if you have a terra cotta roof.... that's a different story. We used to have that at our business, every evening, thousands of bats pour out of the tiles for their nightly run, and yeah, you'd get nearly swarmed as they poured out.
They'd get inside the building and we'd try to usher them out, but they never caused any harm.

It's illegal to harm certain species, so we never attempted any sort of pest control and just let them be. Eventually, the building facade was updated and with that, went the tiles. The bat colony moved to roost elsewhere.

BTW, you'll want to stay out of the large number of caves in the area and state parks. Flush with both spiders and bats.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 AM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
If you see them they look like pudgy birds. Like others said dusk is the best/worst time to see them. They are out around Spring-early Fall so winter you will not see them. You may catch a few flying around the neighborhood every once in a while. Of the 20 something years I have lived here I remember seeing one or two bats flying around in the summer when I was younger.

As someone else mentioned, you will see them in caves, so avoid those. There are some spots in downtown SA where they hang out and come out at dusk. There are even bat watching parties in the summer, it is pretty cool to see them fly out.

There is a very distinctive bat smell that once you smell once you will never forget. Again, of living in SA for twenty something years there are just a few places where I have smelled that smell, and that's in the downtown are or near the zoo as well as a few bridges near the Leon Creek Greenway.

You'll be fine .They just want to eat bugs and go to bed.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:27 AM

302 posts, read 1,156,218 times
Wingspan, maybe 5"

They'll occasionally swoop down to face level chasing bugs. Very musky smell.. damp/dirty-ish, and you'll smell slight ammonia too in close enough proximity to a colony. Always hate when I accidentally enter a cave I didn't expect to be there ... no, that won't be a problem.

You've really got very little to worry about. Stay away from bat colonies, they'll stay away from you.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-21-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2015, 09:38 AM

136 posts, read 225,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattle axis View Post
I've seen them flying around in the early evening around street lamp height in my neighborhood. You can tell if it's a bat by their flight pattern. They tend to flutter around while birds have a more purposeful flight pattern.

Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
We have loads of bats, but then a number of neighbors have bat houses. They eat mosquitoes. Love them!

We're relatively close to the river, which may be a factor.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,498 times
I've been seeing a few a night flying around my backyard here in the south west side. They're harmless and pretty cool actually.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:30 PM

66 posts, read 166,479 times
I can't believe someone is scared of bats! There are millions of them that fly out at dusk every night for most of the year except for Winter when they go back to Mexico. I live in the city and can see hundreds if not thousands flying around feeding every night.
There are a lot more things to worry about than bats here, they are harmless and beneficial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio