Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM

424 posts, read 608,317 times

Advertisements

Not sure if people are aware, but Uber has launched in San Antonio today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,633,279 times
And this is different from Lyft, how? As far as regulations are concerned? They say taxi within their website.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM

336 posts, read 482,976 times
Not quite full-Uber, but it's UberX which ain't too shabby either.

Waiting for the full black car and suv service, as that would be awesome for this city.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM

487 posts, read 989,774 times
I really hope they expand to include black-car service. I've used Uber in several cities including NYC, Chicago, SF, San Diego and always have much better experience than both regular taxis (cleaner, more professional, easier payment) and limo services (cheaper, more accessible). I always ask the drivers how is the service working for them and I'm yet to find one complaining about Uber, and most complain about their previous car service companies, where corruption, favoritism seems to be the norm.

No, I don't work for Uber. I'm just a happy customer.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:05 PM

336 posts, read 482,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amexicano View Post
I really hope they expand to include black-car service. I've used Uber in several cities including NYC, Chicago, SF, San Diego and always have much better experience than both regular taxis (cleaner, more professional, easier payment) and limo services (cheaper, more accessible). I always ask the drivers how is the service working for them and I'm yet to find one complaining about Uber, and most complain about their previous car service companies, where corruption, favoritism seems to be the norm.

No, I don't work for Uber. I'm just a happy customer.

I hope so too, but in most cities it's dependent on the number of existing black cars on the road already, which here in San Antonio isn't anywhere near that of other Uber cities.

It took me ages to find a reliable towncar service (no, not the metered taxi-type) in this city. Those who do run towncars quote ridiculous rates for something as simple as airport pickup/dropoffs. My guy I have now is thankfully reasonable.

All that said, I'd love to see Uber expand into the cars and suvs. We'll see

Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM

487 posts, read 989,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staunchcharacter View Post
I hope so too, but in most cities it's dependent on the number of existing black cars on the road already, which here in San Antonio isn't anywhere near that of other Uber cities.
I think initially that's the case, but in other cities I've come across drivers who started with Uber, bringing their own new vehicles into the market. Perhaps some people here in San Antonio will jump to the opportunity.

Unfortunately I won't be able to use it here in SA as frequently as I do when I travel, but I really hope they stay. At least will bring more competition and options.

Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM

915 posts, read 1,899,730 times
Love the service. Have used in London, Chicago, and NYC with great success.

Old 06-07-2014, 03:42 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,056,366 times
Default Will this happen to Uber and Lyft drivers here in San Antonio?

In Miami, a city that's fought against ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft, cops are running a sting to catch Lyft drivers and tow their cars, the Miami Herald's Patricia Mazzei reports.
One driver, Juan Arango, picked up an undercover cop on his first ride and was pulled over shortly after dropping the passenger off. His car was then towed. The same thing happened to another Lyft driver shortly after.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/cops-m...153659605.html

Old 06-07-2014, 03:59 PM

838 posts, read 1,207,530 times
It's these kinds of police operations that make people balk and question when police departments say they're under staffed. If the police have time to mess with this kind of crap, they have more than enough resources.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,023,213 times
It wouldn't surprise me if it did happen here. Chief McManus seems insistent that the services are violating city law. The method Miami is using would be the easiest way to get those drivers off the streets.

Mayor Castro's support for the services is probably holding McManus back from stepping up his enforcement efforts. That support becomes a lot less meaningful once he goes off to his new job in DC. Whether that happens here will likely come down to how the next mayor views the services and how supportive that mayor is of the taxi drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio