Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:55 PM

472 posts, read 1,070,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Cano's Mexican Food Restaurant on Vance Jackson @ Mink.

Mr Dunderbak's Bavarian Pantry at North Star Mall.

Delta Catfish Company on San Pedro.

I always had a great time at Shakey's Pizza, and for good fast food fish, there was First Mate
Their Matey Burger was huge,...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,562,458 times
Anyone remember Farrals (sp?) Fine Foods on Roosevelt a little north of Riverside Golf Course? Not sure when they closed but we used to eat there once a week when I was growing up in the 60"s. I remember they had pretty good steaks and sea food.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:41 PM

443 posts, read 948,921 times
Valerio's on Broadway across from USAA, now the AT&T corporate offices. -Died in the 80s.

Delta Catfish on San Pedro. -Died in the 70s

Catfish Parlour off Blanco (You can still find one in Southeast Austin) -area was underdeveloped and they couldn't weather it until SA moved north. Died in the 80s.

Meatballs at Brookhollow and elsewhere -died in the 80s. Darn good lasagne at a darn good price. Must have been mismanaged, as they were usually packed.

Vienna Meine Struße -Died in the early 90s? Not sure of the spelling either. Excellent, excellent German food; even if you're just going for the cliched Wiener Schnitzel. Potato dumplings were to die for. A husband and wife operated it off of Ira Lee before you hit Austin Hwy.

There was a fish and chips place off Broadway around where Good Time Charlies is in the early 70s. Absolutely the best I've ever had, even served them in newpaper.

The Bean Pot on Austin Hwy -Died early to middle 80s.

First Mate off Pecan Valley Drive -'cause of Cap'n Gus

Zuider Zee on San Pedro - (Zuilder Zee?) Died late 70s. Seafood.

Christi's on Broadway - Died in the 80s, a very slow death.

Night Hawk - Saw Chris Marrou there once. Dead by the 80s.

Villa Italia off San Pedro - Italian, died in the 80s. Just 'cause Joe Anthony would feed me until I was ready to puke.

....and a host of other places which have came and went, much like my memory.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:44 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
Valerio's on Broadway across from USAA, now the AT&T corporate offices. -Died in the 80s.

Delta Catfish on San Pedro. -Died in the 70s

Catfish Parlour off Blanco (You can still find one in Southeast Austin) -area was underdeveloped and they couldn't weather it until SA moved north. Died in the 80s.

Meatballs at Brookhollow and elsewhere -died in the 80s. Darn good lasagne at a darn good price. Must have been mismanaged, as they were usually packed.

Vienna Meine Struße -Died in the early 90s? Not sure of the spelling either. Excellent, excellent German food; even if you're just going for the cliched Wiener Schnitzel. Potato dumplings were to die for. A husband and wife operated it off of Ira Lee before you hit Austin Hwy.

There was a fish and chips place off Broadway around where Good Time Charlies is in the early 70s. Absolutely the best I've ever had, even served them in newpaper.

The Bean Pot on Austin Hwy -Died early to middle 80s.

First Mate off Pecan Valley Drive -'cause of Cap'n Gus

Zuider Zee on San Pedro - (Zuilder Zee?) Died late 70s. Seafood.

Christi's on Broadway - Died in the 80s, a very slow death.

Night Hawk - Saw Chris Marrou there once. Dead by the 80s.

Villa Italia off San Pedro - Italian, died in the 80s. Just 'cause Joe Anthony would feed me until I was ready to puke.

....and a host of other places which have came and went, much like my memory.
Where was catfish parlour at on Blanco I think I remember eating there once but was small and don't remember where it was.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:59 PM

443 posts, read 948,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Where was catfish parlour at on Blanco I think I remember eating there once but was small and don't remember where it was.
17776 Blanco Rd., between the Sonic and car wash. There was an Italian restaurant there for a number of years afterwards, and it's been a couple different Mexican restaurant incarnations since. Yelp shows that it is currently La Tequilera Del Patron.

Like Delta Catfish, they had all-you-can-eat specials. Thursdays were their spicy catfish, so that was my day to visit. Great beans, the hush puppies were not round, but elongated like fingers, and the catfish had a hard, crisp breading that left the inside moist. The slaw was great too. Last time I ate at their Ben White location in Austin, it hadn't changed.

They were just too early. It was the last restaurant you came to beyond the Longhorn Cafe. After it closed, it sat empty for years until Baccone's Italian Restaurant, which had been further south on Blanco, moved there.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,401,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion View Post
17776 Blanco Rd., between the Sonic and car wash. There was an Italian restaurant there for a number of years afterwards, and it's been a couple different Mexican restaurant incarnations since. Yelp shows that it is currently La Tequilera Del Patron.

Like Delta Catfish, they had all-you-can-eat specials. Thursdays were their spicy catfish, so that was my day to visit. Great beans, the hush puppies were not round, but elongated like fingers, and the catfish had a hard, crisp breading that left the inside moist. The slaw was great too. Last time I ate at their Ben White location in Austin, it hadn't changed.

They were just too early. It was the last restaurant you came to beyond the Longhorn Cafe. After it closed, it sat empty for years until Baccone's Italian Restaurant, which had been further south on Blanco, moved there.
Thanks, ok now I remember yes back in the day where there was nothing at all out there. I live down the street and it sure has changed the last 15 years.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:01 AM

265 posts, read 530,983 times
Before it was the ill-fated new, now defuct home of Kasbeer's, before it was Cafe San Antone, the haunted church restaurant located in the basement of the theater at 1150 S. Alamo had excellent food.

I don't even know if the restaurant had a name, but it was a long established underground success. Food was served buffet-style and the deserts and pastries were second to none. Once the owner (Marcie) sold out, and the pastry Chef (Dennis) left, things were never the same again.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,782,862 times
Casbeers on Blanco was a favorite lunch haunt. They had some of the best chile and enchiladas in town. WE'd also play pool at lunch along with a brewski or two. Great memories from the old Casbeers.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:46 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,469,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Casbeers on Blanco was a favorite lunch haunt. They had some of the best chile and enchiladas in town. WE'd also play pool at lunch along with a brewski or two. Great memories from the old Casbeers.
Absolutely!
My dad used to take us there back in the 70's for their enchiladas and a big red.....best enchiladas ever. Tons of onions and served with bread and crackers.
The old geezers playing pool and dominoes in the back added to the ambiance of the place....hole in the wall with great food. All gone now.....sigh.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:25 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,302,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Tee-Pee Steak house on Austin Hwy, Steak and Ale on 410 and that is about it for me.....great meals with consistent service....how DID they fail???!?!?!?!?
Loved the Tee Pee, best and biggest steak in town and those homemade flaky biscuits for dipping were delish!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio