Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 11,020 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have decided that we want to move to San Antonio from Detroit, but my biggest fear is leaving all of our help behind. We have a set of 3 year old twins and a 6 week old infant. I get help from my husband's mother a lot with the kids which gives me quality time to myself as well as with my husband. I am just worried about leaving that behind and also moving across country with them. My husband and I are ready but how do we know if our entire family is ready for this move. I want to provide a better life for my kids and I know that we can do it there. So my question: Is there someone that has moved away with small kids where there is no family and how did you survive? What was you biggest issue and how did you overcome it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,964,223 times
I would stay near the family support system you have. Sorry, that's my advice which is worth about two cents. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 PM

145 posts, read 378,204 times
Military moved my husband and I, along with our 3 year old, 2 year old and 5 week old to Japan. My husband then worked a gazillion hours for the first 6 months we got there. The biggest problem was my sanity. There just weren't too many breaks. Every so often we'd get a babysitter for the oldest two and take the baby with us. Three young ones can be overwhelming for a babysitter and expensive. Not much you can do about it. You just do it till every thing calms down when the kids get older and make the best of it.

Maybe you should do a trial run where no family helps you out for a couple of weeks before you commit to the move.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:36 PM

161 posts, read 171,703 times
I would say don't move and stay where you are at. It seems the most logical choice or do what someone else said and try it out first to see if you can handle it.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:20 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,094,481 times
I don't have children or experience in your situation but how about not yet? Maybe wait until the kids are a bit older, then make the move? Best to you.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:14 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,538,213 times
We did not have any family here until our kids were 6 and 3. I also was in graduate school as well, as was my husband. Yes, it's hard. No it's not impossible.

Look into enrolling the 3 year olds into a preschool, one that is maybe mornings, 2-3 days per week. Or a Mother's Day Out. That gives you time to run errands, etc. If you are a churchgoer, investigate their nursery. Often, they are staffed by adults or high schoolers that are willing to babysit. If you go to a gym or the Y, they often have childcare as well. You may have to adjust your errands to when your husband is home. I did a lot of grocery and Target runs after 8, when the kids were in bed. Investigate mom groups, like playgroups and MOPS.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:51 PM

790 posts, read 1,877,395 times
Wait until your kids are a bit older. You didn't mention if your husband already has a job in SA or is you'd be embarking on a job search, etc. I don't have kids, but have several siblings and family members who do. One of them moved away (with three kids) to the East Coast, but they recently returned to Texas. I think they missed the bennies of being close to family (and the financial comforts, too). They are very happy to be back with family.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:25 PM

87 posts, read 219,773 times
You all act like people have never lived without their family nearby. I have 2 young girls and we have NEVER lived near family. And there are thousands (if not millions) that do it everyday-ask anyone in the military. Is it hard, yes. Is it doable...totally. As another poster said, look into preschool and Mother's Day out programs. They will save your sanity. I do grocery shopping on Sundays and hubby stays with the girls or I take one with me and the other stays home. You and your spouse have to work as a team and he will need to realize that he has to help as much as he can.

Yes, having family close by is helpful, but not 100% necessary.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:14 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,377,224 times
Default Agreed,Raising kids solo,

I did it too. Except without a partner even, wife left us, myself and three boys aged 5,6,and 12. No
big deal. I never needed to get away from them to keep my sanity. Many men might have felt trapped with
the total custody of his three children. I never felt more free.
The results of this experiment in parenthood were highly successful. This investment of time put into
these children produced a great return. I really would not be so glum about what is a great time in your life.
I suppose, looking back now , I figured that was the very best quality that time I could be having , was with my three sons. As you wrote, bettering their lives in any way possible.

By the way, originally from San Antonio,immediate family was here, I lived in the Suburbs of Detroit for all of this. San Antone is a great choice to relocate to. A great place for a new beginning, I wouln't even look back at all, particularly with regret.
So here it is, an opinion from a person who has been a resident of both cities you have written about and from a similar, former prespective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie1013 View Post
You all act like people have never lived without their family nearby. I have 2 young girls and we have NEVER lived near family. And there are thousands (if not millions) that do it everyday-ask anyone in the military. Is it hard, yes. Is it doable...totally. As another poster said, look into preschool and Mother's Day out programs. They will save your sanity. I do grocery shopping on Sundays and hubby stays with the girls or I take one with me and the other stays home. You and your spouse have to work as a team and he will need to realize that he has to help as much as he can.

Yes, having family close by is helpful, but not 100% necessary.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:49 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,609,212 times
Quote:

You all act like people have never lived without their family nearby.
I agree! After all San Antonio is circle your wagons city, what with how everyone here is so glued-and-stuck to their own families here. I was like huckster. Alone with three children here and all of my family way up in Chicago. You can find sitters through local colleges and universities and really make use of that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio