Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times

Advertisements

Yet another place telling Cockasian that their name is too controversial. Cockasian is a new food truck that serves Asian style chicken cooked by a white woman...a Caucasian woman. Here is a message from her Facebook about it. I totally support her and the name! What do you guys think?

Quote:
I want to take the time to thank all of you who have shown us that San Antonio is a wonderful open minded community that does not put up with politically correct BS. Yesterday I received news that I was rather surprised by. We had been booked at the HEB Arsenal downtown on April 3rd and I was informed that they no longer wanted us because they also thought our name was too controversial. I thought that after the Port SA issue that people we realize that our name is a clever play on words and if you go looking for work meanings in the Urban Dictionary you will find yourself offended by every other word out of people's mouths. Evidently even HEB, a company that I have respected and supported, leans towards political correctness. If you work at HEB or you're just a customer like me and you think that Cockasian Food Truck should have a chance to do business, please let them know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Personally I dont care what they name themselves if the food is good. That said, you cant have a name that stirs up controversy and then be surprised at the controversy. If you want to buck the system then do your thing but you have to know that you are going to lose out on some opportunities. Either accept that or toe the line. You cant do both.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 AM

336 posts, read 484,156 times
My feeling on most things at home office of HEB is negative: The worst problems in that company start there and it's trickle-down ethics from that point on

She can find ten other spots in Southtown that would gladly host her.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Set aside the notion of whether you are offended by the name and ask yourself this question: Why should HEB support a venture with a name that offends some people?

They'd be risking a boycott and negative press. Companies, especially multi-billion dollar corporations like HEB, are risk-averse. First and foremost, they want customers. Ideally, they'd like to have happy customers.

The last thing companies want is to offend anyone and they most assuredly don't want negative press or boycotts! All of those are in direct opposition to the two things I listed that companies want.

Old 03-30-2014, 02:41 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,618,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Personally I dont care what they name themselves if the food is good. That said, you cant have a name that stirs up controversy and then be surprised at the controversy. If you want to buck the system then do your thing but you have to know that you are going to lose out on some opportunities. Either accept that or toe the line. You cant do both.
Yep.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 PM

437 posts, read 639,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Set aside the notion of whether you are offended by the name and ask yourself this question: Why should HEB support a venture with a name that offends some people?

They'd be risking a boycott and negative press. Companies, especially multi-billion dollar corporations like HEB, are risk-averse. First and foremost, they want customers. Ideally, they'd like to have happy customers.

The last thing companies want is to offend anyone and they most assuredly don't want negative press or boycotts! All of those are in direct opposition to the two things I listed that companies want.
pretty much this. i dont care for the name by no means, but i dont know why the cockasian owner would be surprised at all...

Old 03-30-2014, 04:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
You don't need them...stick to your guns vs selling out and go elsewhere. They have the right to select, you have the right to go elsewhere...as disappointing as the "PC" nature of the call is, they do have the option on who to invite.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
They didn't think the name was controversial when they booked Cockasian? But now they do? Weird. I wish her all the best with her business! PC'ism is out of control and I'm glad she won't cave.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,044,642 times
Yawn. I tried this a couple of weeks ago. Wasn't that great. I guess when the food is mediocre you have to manufacture some sort of 'controversy' to try and drum up customers.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,074,500 times
When I was driving home from Corpus and as I entered downtown San Antonio there is a billboard that is for a dentist and it says something like "6 to 9 Dental, let us satisfy your oral needs" my mind went straight to the gutter on that one.

But you are right staunch, Ben stop changing your name! She can find places all over town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio