Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:12 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,993 times

Advertisements

Having lived in so CA for the last 40 years then up and moving half way across the country I certainly expected life to be a little different for us! I don't know how in the world anyone can live in one place for a week and proclaim it is ANYTHING let alone say "it has the rudest people". Adjustment periods are necessary when making this kind of move so give it some time. If the residents of SA are anything like the people that have posted here in this thread then I have to say you are in for running into a lot of mighty fine folks around town. Kudos to the SA peeps as I can confidently say that had this topic, with this title, been posted in many other state forums here on City-Data the responses would not have been nearly this cordial. That right there should give the OP a good sign that SA just might be A-O-K after all.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 599,445 times
Default Welcome to SATX!

I lived in Hawaii, Vegas, and San Antonio is where my wife and I decided to raise our two boys. Like any other place SA has pockets of good and bad areas. I did lots of research prior to relocating my family here, and even happier now that they'll be graduating from Reagan High in the future after NEISD (North East Independent School District, San Antonio, Texas USA) approved the new boundary for the new LBJ High School. We lived in the Stone Oak area as well.

BTW, you came to the right place at CDSA. Most of the people here are friendly and helpful. Hope you'll have better experience from here on.

Below are some links:

Current Developments posted by 210/Imsomniac
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...an-update.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ng-thread.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...reet-luau.html

San Antonio Developments Information

HI2V$SA

Old 12-07-2007, 04:19 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HI2VegasNowSA View Post
I lived in Hawaii, Vegas, and San Antonio is where my wife and I decided to raise our two boys. Like any other place SA has pockets of good and bad areas. I did lots of research prior to relocating my family here, and even happier now that they'll be graduating from Reagan High in the future after NEISD (North East Independent School District, San Antonio, Texas USA) approved the new boundary for the new LBJ High School. We lived in the Stone Oak area as well.

BTW, you came to the right place at CDSA. Most of the people here are friendly and helpful. Hope you'll have better experience from here on.

Below are some links:

Current Developments posted by 210/Imsomniac
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...an-update.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ng-thread.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...reet-luau.html

San Antonio Developments Information

HI2V$SA

HEY YOU! WELCOME BACK...WE MISSED YOU!!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM

162 posts, read 599,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
HEY YOU! WELCOME BACK...WE MISSED YOU!!!!!
PAKA,
Mahalo for the warm welcome! Thank you very much for you and Mr. Paka's help. I did not pursue the position in Houston so I can stay home with the Ohana and coach my boys' basketball team, and they'll be playing for the championship tomorrow.

Last edited by HI2VegasNowSA; 12-07-2007 at 04:26 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 PM

486 posts, read 1,113,951 times
Just wanted to add my welcome as well as another military wife, Air Force here, been here a year and a few months and I can remember how hard it was still is sometimes. I live on the NE Side not far from Randolph AFB so Im just north of you. Im always happy to help someone find their way around town or just to visit to help with the homesickness. Feel free to message me anytime.

P.s I love shopping and I can navigate just about anywhere here- the drivers dont scare me

Old 12-07-2007, 05:21 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,322 times
Man, when I read the first post of this thread, I thought to myself. Oh geeze, another one of these people who is just here to simply base the city. I mean, saying there were no "nice parts" in SA. Then I kept reading and it became obvious that californiaismyhome is speaking about the city from an ignorant (not using the word in a insulting way) point of view. From someone who relocated from Sacramento to a area of San Antonio that can be rough (not ghetto by the least), though that'll change with what's going on at Windsor Park Mall and Fort Sam. California, I suggest if you dislike the area you are in you should move (easier said than done, I know) to another location in SA. There are many nice and really nice areas of San Antonio. You probably just haven't explored them yet. If you need any help, please PM me.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:35 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,322 times
California, San Antonio is a very big place, in your 1 week here, you've probably experienced 1/10,000th of it.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:17 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
I will admit that when we first moved to San Antonio in 1999, I wasn't too thrilled about being here. We just came off a four year tour in Germany which was a dream come true. And my previous experiences in San Antonio were not pleasant (USAF basic training in 1981 and AFROTC field training in 1987). I also had a offer to go fly in the UK, but the unit I was going to here refused to let me loose to go do that. So you can see my overall opinion of the place wasn't very high to start with!

But in the three years that we lived here, we got out and started to see the town and local community, and the more I saw the more I liked. Then we got stationed in Belgium and I was happy to be back in Europe, but I did miss Texas (especially when scraping several inches of ice off my car!). When the time came to come back to the States, I knew I had to go someplace we liked as I would be retiring and settling down. I discussed it with the wife and we both agreed that San Antonio had the most to offer. So we came back in 2005 and have loved it ever since.

I spend nearly a quarter of a century in uniform, and I have to say that even in the worse places I was I could always find something that interested me. Honestly, I will say I never had a bad assignment. Even living in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, or Sarajevo, or Slovakia, all places had their good points along with their bad. The key is to concentrate on the good, and make the most of it.

At your first opportunity, try to get downtown and see the Riverwalk and the Alamo. Yes, many claim those are tourist traps but I think they both represent what this town has to offer. Then do a little research online to find other things that interest you here. There are plenty of historical locations, such as the Mission Trail, or amusement parks (SeaWorld, Six Flags, etc). Go to ITT on base and see what kind of discounts they offer, or check out the Ft Sam MWR web site ( http://www.fortsamhoustonmwr.com/default2.asp - broken link). Check out some of the cool shopping centers around town, such as La Cantera. You don’t have to spend money to enjoy yourself, just walk around and window shop. Heck, even Ft Sam has things to do, go find the Quad and feed the animals, or check out the Post museums. And close by are the Botanical Gardens if you want someplace tranquil to just relax and walk around.

Once you get out more you will find that San Antonians are friendly people, as are most Texans by nature. But remember this town has experienced rapid growth over the past 10 years, and a lot of people are not originally from here. Unfortunately, some have brought their bad manners with them; but once you meet some real Texans (which include folks who move here and adopt the Texas mindset to heart), you will see the difference!

Welcome to San Antonio, I hope you get a chance to see the town and enjoy what it and the surrounding community has to offer!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-07-2007, 06:38 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,605,007 times
I moved here from England and think the people here are really friendly and helpful. Don't know where you are living ???

Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,028 times
Default Sorry

As a native Texan who has lived in San Antonio, I can't say I've experienced rudeness. I've been all over this country and I've found rude people in just about every place I've been - including California. I'll never forget one time while in LA, we stopped to ask someone directions and they looked at us like we had 5 heads. They wouldn't even answer us.

I have relocated several times and sometimes, when you're new to a place, a defense mechanism kicks in where you find fault with everything in the new place. Why? Because it's different from what you are used to. I'll bet if you start expecting to find nice people, you'll find them everywhere. Just put on a big smile and say hi, and they'll say hi back.

Good luck to you. Don't judge us too hard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio