Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

1. Texas Hamburger Company. (Huebner, east of Babcock)

2. Teka Molino. (San Pedro, inside 410)

3. Carmen's Pizza (West Ave, inside 410 by the railroad tracks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 10:59 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,294,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
1. Texas Hamburger Company. (Huebner, east of Babcock)

2. Teka Molino. (San Pedro, inside 410)

3. Carmen's Pizza (West Ave, inside 410 by the railroad tracks)
Did Carment's Pizza ever have a store on Fredricksburg road? In the early 80's we used to go to a Carmen's pizza that was in a center on Fredricksburg road next to a Cleaning Ideas? I remember it was very good. My parents who are from New Jersey, used to love that place and where saddened when we went their one time and it was closed down.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Did Carment's Pizza ever have a store on Fredricksburg road? In the early 80's we used to go to a Carmen's pizza that was in a center on Fredricksburg road next to a Cleaning Ideas? I remember it was very good. My parents who are from New Jersey, used to love that place and where saddened when we went their one time and it was closed down.
It's possible. I first remember them opening around 1984 just up the street from where they are now. They were in a shopping center at 410/Jackson-Keller. The same shopping center where a Blockbuster Video is now.

They were only there for about a year before moving to the smaller place on West Ave where they still are. I don't know if any shops have occupied where they were right before that (by the Blockbuster). Most of them seem to have been vacant for a long time.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 556,046 times
Some friends took us out to a fabulous restaurant last night, located in the Stone Oak area: Cafe Paladar. It had an interesting, sophisticated menu, with an Argentinian/ Spanish motif; the servers were wonderful, and the wine list was excellent. We all loved the ambience, which had a casual, yet sophisticated decor. Some people came in casual attire; otherwise I think dressy-casual is better.

I do hope others find this restaurant, as it has only been open a year and a half, and I'd like to have it stay around. They have lunches and Sunday brunches, too.

You can check out their menu on-line.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:37 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
In Olmos Park there is Bistro Vatel and Ciao Lavanderia, which are owned by the same person. Bistro Vatel is French and Ciao Lavanderia is casual Italian. Right next to them is Shiraz, which serves Iranian and Middle Eastern food.

A Lighthouse Cafe opened up where the McCullough Walgreens used to be - I don't know if that's a chain or not, though, and I haven't stopped by there yet because I'm trying not to eat carbs!

And, finally, where Powell Cleaners was on McCullough they are building a new locally owned Italian place that looks like it's going to be really nice.

Hopefully if all goes well, that bit of McCullough will be a nice row of places to eat.

In Alamo Heights, I love L'Etoile, Fredericks, Paloma Blanca, Florios, WD Deli and that sushi place whose name I can't remember next to the AT&T building in the Boardwalk.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:39 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
I have to put a plug in for Lone Star Grill again. They are at Tezel and Guilbeau, and they serve good burgers. The people that work there are really friendly and they probably need the business. The first year is tough! I don't have any feel good stories yet, but maybe someday..........

Old 12-09-2007, 05:47 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,554,592 times
Yep, as always, I gotta put a shout out in here for Green!! Mmmmmmmm...... my fave place!!! green vegetarian cuisine - San Antonio's Only Vegetarian Restaurant I'd be depressed if it closed! But it's almost always swamped, so their gig must be catchin on!! Hooray!!

Also, love The Cove!! The Cove - Cove home page Fabulous atmosphere, great fun for all!!

Old 12-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
In Olmos Park there is Bistro Vatel and Ciao Lavanderia, which are owned by the same person. Bistro Vatel is French and Ciao Lavanderia is casual Italian. Right next to them is Shiraz, which serves Iranian and Middle Eastern food.

A Lighthouse Cafe opened up where the McCullough Walgreens used to be - I don't know if that's a chain or not, though, and I haven't stopped by there yet because I'm trying not to eat carbs!

And, finally, where Powell Cleaners was on McCullough they are building a new locally owned Italian place that looks like it's going to be really nice.

Hopefully if all goes well, that bit of McCullough will be a nice row of places to eat.

In Alamo Heights, I love L'Etoile, Fredericks, Paloma Blanca, Florios, WD Deli and that sushi place whose name I can't remember next to the AT&T building in the Boardwalk.
Lighthouse is definitely a family-owned place. The first one (I believe its the first one) has been open in Stone Oak for some time now. Great omlette's for breakfast and good salads (for the carb-concious!) and sandwichs (for the not so conscious) for lunch. My only complaint is that they also sell a lot of knicknacks and stuff, and over the years, they have added more and more inventory which has now made that place seem overly cluttered and (for me) a little uncomfortable. Hopefully, with the opening of a new location, they'll split some of that inventory and keep both places looking nice.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:00 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,672 times
Wow, that's great that it's a local operation. I'm very excited that Olmos Park is getting so many new non-chain dining options.

I also forgot to list Olmos Perk, which is a great coffee shop in the Yard shopping center. They have done really well, and recently expanded their hours and are looking into getting a beer and wine license.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:14 AM

I am disapointed no one has mentioned Tip Top Cafe and their fabulous Chicken Fried Steak and Oninon Rings! This stuff is soooo bad for you, but so dan* good tasting!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio