Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 05:03 PM

8 posts, read 24,857 times

Advertisements

The Pulte homes in Iron Mountain Ranch - any ideas on those homes? are they well built? We went to check some out that are for sale and for one we saw there was a electricity box in the backyard - is that normal - what about resale value if there is an electricity box on your propert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Utility boxes are normal since new neighborhoods have buried utilities. The builders have to put them somewhere.

I have lived in a Pulte home for 5 years. Pulte is a production builder. They are very attentive to quality issues after the sale. I would use them again.

To take full advantage of Pulte's 1-year warranty, I paid to have a second home inspection done at 11 months. The inspector found a few minor issues that Pulte fixed promptly under what was left of the warranty. The value of the fixes probably didn't exceed the cost of the inspection, but it gave me peace of mind.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:49 PM

8 posts, read 24,857 times
Thanks for the reply - what about the easement which has to be 12ft - is that taking up a chunk of the backyard - I am not sure how the rules work for that

Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,599,214 times
well it doens't take up any more of your property than nothing. That may sound silly, but it is what I meant. The easement means you can't put permanent structures there unless you want to have them removed at your cost if needed.

That isn't to say that you can't put a swing set or something there, because you use your easement just like you use the rest of your yard.

The utility box is always present in the newer homes with underground utilities. Some people get lucky and don't have the big box (me), but I get blessed enough to have two telephone and cable housing units in each corner. Whatever. No one will think less of your home when searching for it in resale, because eveything built right now has it.

Pulte, in my mind, is a "better" production builder. Their homes are better quality than the low end guys, but don't quite rise to the highland homes type builders. We have been in a Pulte home the last 5 years, currently in our second.

I know tons of people that work for Pulte and tons that used to. I can say that most people that work for them now - or that have worked them in the past - would buy one of their homes. It isn't like they are selling crap that they wouldn't even buy if they had to. In fact, two of my best friends were laid off from Pulte when things started to slow about ayear ago. What did they do last month? Bought a Pulte. I think that should say something about them as a builder.

I am sure some people on here have had bad experiences or know someone who has. Do your own due diligence on whatever home you decide on and have an inspector come out and give it a thorough inspection. Make sure it checks out. Of course, this advice doesn't apply to Pulte only. I think anyone looking at any house should do this to save themselves a lot of time, money, and headaches in the end.

Good luck hunting.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cows View Post
Thanks for the reply - what about the easement which has to be 12ft - is that taking up a chunk of the backyard - I am not sure how the rules work for that
You shouldn't put anything in the easement area that can't be easily removed or that you don't want to have removed. In the event that the underground utility cables need to have work done on them, the utility companies must be able to dig up the area within the easement where they are buried.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:11 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,392 times
Planting flowers has been a pain with the easement that I have in my backyard. I went so far as to have all the lines marked (and of course they did them wrong so I nailed the neighbors cable line, during a Spurs game) but really it's no biggie. I've nailed my own sprinkler lines so the fact that there are cable easements in my backyard really doesn't make much of a difference to me. I've planted things in front of the ugly boxes so they aren't such an eyesore but other than that you really aren't going to be able to avoid them in the new housing developments.

Old 12-09-2007, 08:27 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
My boss bought a Pulte home (high $200's) more than 4 years ago. He had a lot of small finish problems, but they fixed them. Of course, it helps if you're "persistent" about getting them repaired in a timely manner. Everyone has utility easements where everything is underground. Some or more luckier than others if they don't have the big green box. My neighbor has one and his yard is small. Ours is very long and we only have a small cable tube. After you move in you can call a number to have someone come out and mark where the utility lines are located; but be careful, as stated below, sometimes they can make a mistake.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,561,627 times
Great idea to have a second ispection at 10-11 months! I would have never thought of this! Thanks!!!! We also have a Pulte home and have been well pleased with any minor repairs we have had to have done. They even fixed a few boo-boos that we did ourselves when moving in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio