Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
No one sent us an email saying they were going to crash into our car or that they were going to do a home invasion on us, so your post is just a straw man.
No one sent you an email about someone shooting your child either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 08:43 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I'm a member of society and it's very much up to society how children are raised. I very much disagree with how you are rasing your child, just how I disagree with any parent who kept their child at home for no reason yesterday. How you raise your child effects me, maybe not to day, but 10 years down the line it does.
Keeping my child home from school after an email threat of violence, especially after Sandy Hook and other school shootings, gives you absolutely no idea how I raise my child. I'm offended that you would say that. You have no idea who I am or how I raise my child. If it was up to society how children are raised, we would never have bad people would we? Society doesn't raise children, parents do. As a parent, I have a right and an obligation to do all I can to keep my child safe. Why is that so hard to get? Do you think about the things you say before you say them? It's easy to sit back after nothing happened and pass judgement. What IF something had happened? You would be calling for the parents heads that sent their kids to school even after a warning. Either way, I'm done. I did what I did and I would do it again, whether you like it or not, whether you think it's right or wrong and that's the end of it.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 AM

303 posts, read 365,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
Keeping my child home from school after an email threat of violence, especially after Sandy Hook and other school shootings, gives you absolutely no idea how I raise my child. I'm offended that you would say that. You have no idea who I am or how I raise my child. If it was up to society how children are raised, we would never have bad people would we? Society doesn't raise children, parents do. As a parent, I have a right and an obligation to do all I can to keep my child safe. Why is that so hard to get? Do you think about the things you say before you say them? It's easy to sit back after nothing happened and pass judgement. What IF something had happened? You would be calling for the parents heads that sent their kids to school even after a warning. Either way, I'm done. I did what I did and I would do it again, whether you like it or not, whether you think it's right or wrong and that's the end of it.
This just goes to show that the person that sent the hoax email threat won. He won.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
All I see is cowardice. If something had happened it would have been a terrible tragedy, but you cannot control things that happen in this life. To change your lifestyle because of one email is completely insane. It's either a complete lack of humility or a incredibly stupid act of bravado to think for a second that you can "protect" your child in the way you and other parents that didn't send their children's to school on Friday. You very determination and protests against those that have called you out show that you are subconsciously embarrassed by your own behavior.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,246,115 times
Quote:
What IF something had happened?

If if's and but's where candy and nuts it would be Christmas ever day. Police investigated the "threat" and discovered it was a hoax. Nothing happened, just like they said it wouldn't.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:11 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
Someone actually thinking society's downfall is due to kids missing a day of school over a threat but not a parade is actually more crazy than many things. Leave people alone. Their kid/ their choice or does choice not matter when they don't make the choices you make?

Old 04-26-2014, 12:15 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
Quote:
No one sent you an email about someone shooting your child either.
You're right, except they sent an email to someone saying they were going to do harm to kids at an elementary school.

The you guys and the school board can whine all you want about the parents who didn't send their kids to school.
It doesn't change the facts:
They were made aware of a threat of violence to children. They rightly made the parents aware of that threat.
They never said why they believed the threat isn't credible. They have a known conflict of interest because they want kids in school so they can get money.

Sure, there is danger everywhere and part of my job as a parent is to weigh the risks of certain things. Could my kid get hurt playing soccer? Sure, but I believe the benefits outweigh the risks.
I didn't believe the benefit of sending my child to school for one day outweighed the risk of him getting hurt. Is it a possibility every day? Sure, but we were actually threatened this week. I have to take that seriously.

I made a choice, you don't think it's the right one, but you aren't the parent of my kid. My wife and I am, and we would do the same thing again.
Quote:
All I see is cowardice. If something had happened it would have been a terrible tragedy, but you cannot control things that happen in this life. To change your lifestyle because of one email is completely insane. It's either a complete lack of humility or a incredibly stupid act of bravado to think for a second that you can "protect" your child in the way you and other parents that didn't send their children's to school on Friday. You very determination and protests against those that have called you out show that you are subconsciously embarrassed by your own behavior.
No one changed their lifestyle, they assessed the risk and chose whether to keep their kid home or not for that day or that week.
We can't protect our children all the time, but I'm constantly weighing the risks versus the rewards. The reward of one school days learning, where they were probably going to go over the same crap they went over on Monday anyway wasn't worth the risk of him getting hurt or the nervous breakdown that might have happened had we forced him to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Someone actually thinking society's downfall is due to kids missing a day of school over a threat but not a parade is actually more crazy than many things. Leave people alone. Their kid/ their choice or does choice not matter when they don't make the choices you make?
That's probably the thing. The same people complaining about us keeping our kids home from school are probably the same ones complaining about there being so many fast food places making people fat. Or about other peoples reproductive choices. If they don't like your choice, they're not happy just to stay out of it, they want to get into your business and force you to do things the way they want. Freedom be damned.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:30 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
I'm a member of society and it's very much up to society how children are raised. I very much disagree with how you are rasing your child, just how I disagree with any parent who kept their child at home for no reason yesterday. How you raise your child effects me, maybe not to day, but 10 years down the line it does.
How many children do you have?

Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
How many children do you have?
Happily and proudly zero. Not the point. I don't have to breed to have an opinion about children or parenting.

Old 04-26-2014, 03:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Quote:
Happily and proudly zero. Not the point. I don't have to breed to have an opinion about children or parenting.
Thought so.

You have NO idea what it is like being a parent.
Until you become one and realize what love really is, your opinion means squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio