Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 03:08 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtea View Post
Thought so.

You have NO idea what it is like being a parent.
Until you become one and realize what love really is, your opinion means squat.
I concur
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 05:35 PM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
Well, I have two children, and I think that those parents that chose to keep their kids home from school probably kept them home on the one day their children would be the most safe. Monday will probably be their most dangerous day at school - just think, maybe the guy was faking everyone out and plans on executing his plan on Monday when no one suspects he would. Parents, you might not want to send your kids to school for the rest of the year, since *something* might happen.

I wonder what parents would do if a threat was emailed to the districts once a week? Keep your kids home from school once a week? What is the litmus test that you'll use going forward?

If you kept your kids out of school on Thursday, you should really consider home schooling your children. Obviously, our schools and public safety officials aren't competent enough to protect your precious snowflakes.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:50 PM

172 posts, read 238,600 times
I have a daughter in kindergarten and I for one am happy that my daughter went to school on Thursday. When these threats are made they are never intended to happen, think about all the shootings that have happened, did anyone send out a letter threatening they were going to do it and then do it? Nope. People who are going to do something are going to just do it, no warning, no indicators, nothing. Thursday was probably the safest I have ever seen my daughters school, a SAPD officer, NEISD officer, and 3 watchdogs on the parameter watching the school, it was great.

What's disturbing for me is just the pure amount of terror and anxiety other parents had that pulled about 40% of the student attendance from the schools. When we teach our kids that they need to fear someone who is making a threat, we teach them that if someone threatens them, they need to just roll over and cave. I'm a 31 year old father, who the last thing I want is to teach my daughter that if someone threatens you, do whatever they say. I'd rather have a daughter who stands up for herself and is confident who she is, not someone who will be a target of bullying, which ultimately is what we teach our kids when we allow someone to change our behavior because of their spineless and worthless threat. We teach them to be the victim, and honestly there are way too many victims in the world today.

Like rrbcfy said, any other day of the school year where there isn't a threat and therefore not a higher police presence at the schools is when it is more likely for something to happen. We need to raise our kids to not be victims, we need to raise them to be leaders, and all this showed me is how many parents are terrified of the world and teaching their kids to be victims.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:07 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
Well, I have two children, and I think that those parents that chose to keep their kids home from school probably kept them home on the one day their children would be the most safe. Monday will probably be their most dangerous day at school - just think, maybe the guy was faking everyone out and plans on executing his plan on Monday when no one suspects he would. Parents, you might not want to send your kids to school for the rest of the year, since *something* might happen.

I wonder what parents would do if a threat was emailed to the districts once a week? Keep your kids home from school once a week? What is the litmus test that you'll use going forward?

If you kept your kids out of school on Thursday, you should really consider home schooling your children. Obviously, our schools and public safety officials aren't competent enough to protect your precious snowflakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
I have a daughter in kindergarten and I for one am happy that my daughter went to school on Thursday. When these threats are made they are never intended to happen, think about all the shootings that have happened, did anyone send out a letter threatening they were going to do it and then do it? Nope. People who are going to do something are going to just do it, no warning, no indicators, nothing. Thursday was probably the safest I have ever seen my daughters school, a SAPD officer, NEISD officer, and 3 watchdogs on the parameter watching the school, it was great.

What's disturbing for me is just the pure amount of terror and anxiety other parents had that pulled about 40% of the student attendance from the schools. When we teach our kids that they need to fear someone who is making a threat, we teach them that if someone threatens them, they need to just roll over and cave. I'm a 31 year old father, who the last thing I want is to teach my daughter that if someone threatens you, do whatever they say. I'd rather have a daughter who stands up for herself and is confident who she is, not someone who will be a target of bullying, which ultimately is what we teach our kids when we allow someone to change our behavior because of their spineless and worthless threat. We teach them to be the victim, and honestly there are way too many victims in the world today.

Like rrbcfy said, any other day of the school year where there isn't a threat and therefore not a higher police presence at the schools is when it is more likely for something to happen. We need to raise our kids to not be victims, we need to raise them to be leaders, and all this showed me is how many parents are terrified of the world and teaching their kids to be victims.
I'm not a parent; I'm just someone who teaches criminal justice. These were mostly my thoughts.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 PM

303 posts, read 365,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMorris82 View Post
We need to raise our kids to not be victims, we need to raise them to be leaders, and all this showed me is how many parents are terrified of the world and teaching their kids to be victims.
This right here.

Best post in the thread without a doubt. If we don't follow the above mantra, then we send a terrible message to our children.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
" The coward dies a thousand deaths, the brave , but one."

Does anyone know how many bomb threats are made per week against the airlines?

Several. If all were acted upon,out air travel would go into chaos. The airlines and intelligence take each one and act appropriately.

The SAPD stated the threat was nonexistent and half the parents still chose not to send their children to school.

Part of the NISD bond proposal is to further insulate the parents from their children. What happens when the "AUTHORITIES" decide to lock down a school and vaccinate all their charges against the will of the parents for the "Benefit of the Whole"? -----Or some other seemingly farfetched idea?

Think it cannot happen?

We already have authorities declaring martial law and the citizenry complied.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:01 PM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
I know I said I was done but I still don't get why some of you, especially those without kids are so butt hurt that some parents kept their kids home. Why do you think you are sooo right? Why do you think you can and should tell other people what they can and can't do with their children to keep them safe? Do you have a problem with parents telling their kids not to talk to strangers? How about not getting in a stranger's car? Looking both ways before crossing the street? Playing with fire? Playing with guns? All this talk but guess what? It's done. We did it. There's nothing you can do or say to change it. So all of your collective stupid opinions and rhetoric mean absolutely nothing. It's done. We, I did it. Get over it or continue to be upset about it, either way there's nothing you can do about it.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
And at the end of the day. ..."Districts do have the option to ask the state for waivers for the money lost on Thursday. "

Pretty sure that the waiver requests are being typed up and sent on Monday.

And someone on this thread has some pretty repulsive mommy issues. Sad.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:58 AM

948 posts, read 1,842,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And at the end of the day. ..."Districts do have the option to ask the state for waivers for the money lost on Thursday. "

I love you. Unless you're talking about me

Old 04-27-2014, 07:14 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio