Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Happily and proudly zero. Not the point. I don't have to breed to have an opinion about children or parenting.
No you don't however your views on this particular matter are way off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 07:23 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzrd View Post
I know I said I was done but I still don't get why some of you, especially those without kids are so butt hurt that some parents kept their kids home. Why do you think you are sooo right? Why do you think you can and should tell other people what they can and can't do with their children to keep them safe? Do you have a problem with parents telling their kids not to talk to strangers? How about not getting in a stranger's car? Looking both ways before crossing the street? Playing with fire? Playing with guns? All this talk but guess what? It's done. We did it. There's nothing you can do or say to change it. So all of your collective stupid opinions and rhetoric mean absolutely nothing. It's done. We, I did it. Get over it or continue to be upset about it, either way there's nothing you can do about it.
We're all perfect parents until we have children. Maybe I would've thought of sending my imaginary children to school if I didn't have any. Funny how someone mentioned homeschooling our 'precious snowflakes' because I do homeschool my children. It has nothing to do with safety issues but I do get peace of mind when things like this happen. Still, had my children been in public school, they would've stayed home.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:39 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,776,563 times
Can I get a discount on my property taxes every time a parent decides to keep their kids home? I would like to think the $5,500 I pay per year is used to educate kids, not just keep schools open while half of the kids go to chick-fil-a.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:09 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
You guys just don't get it, your kids (if you have them) are yours, and my kids are mine. You raise your kids how you want and I'll raise mine how I want.
I could spend a lot of time poking holes in your theories about why it was bad for us to keep our kids home, but it's a waste of my time.
There will probably be a billion lessens that we will teach our kids in their lifetimes and this one probably doesn't matter anyway.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM

303 posts, read 365,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prim8 View Post
You guys just don't get it, your kids (if you have them) are yours, and my kids are mine. You raise your kids how you want and I'll raise mine how I want.
I could spend a lot of time poking holes in your theories about why it was bad for us to keep our kids home, but it's a waste of my time.
There will probably be a billion lessens that we will teach our kids in their lifetimes and this one probably doesn't matter anyway.
If you are so confident in your decision to keep your precious snowflakes home, then why do you feel the need vehemently defend your actions? Why not just be confident in your decisions and move on?

I know why, as a previous poster pointed out, I'd bet you are embarrassed that you got caught up in all the panic and anxiety over what probably was some middle school kid who sent out an email to a few schools as a hoax.

Think about that for a second, you made a pretty hasty decision to pull your kids from school over something that probably happens 100's of times a year. Some sniveling 14 year old is probably laughing like crazy over the hysteria. You fell right into the trap....

Old 04-27-2014, 11:12 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,767 times
Nice straw man arguments.
I'm not going to engage in a debate with you. Fact is, what I do with my children is none of your concern. My children are healthy, well behaved, smart, well cared for, well fed, and happy.

People need to stop worrying about other people so much and work on straightening out their own houses.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
And at the end of the day. ..."Districts do have the option to ask the state for waivers for the money lost on Thursday. "

Pretty sure that the waiver requests are being typed up and sent on Monday.
Source? I googled the sentence quoted and the only result was a link to this thread.

Old 04-27-2014, 01:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,801,375 times
Student absences cost schools more than $1.4 million | Northside Independent School District

As a parent, taxpayer in NISD, and an elementary school teacher I find this thread comical! The banter is priceless. I only had 11 students in my class out of 28. Best day ever!!! And before anyone makes a comment about $$$ your property taxes do not pay my salary. The state does. Keep up the banter know-it-alls!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Black Irish View Post
As a parent, taxpayer in NISD, and an elementary school teacher I find this thread comical! The banter is priceless. I only had 11 students in my class out of 28. Best day ever!!! And before anyone makes a comment about $$$ your property taxes do not pay my salary. The state does. Keep up the banter know-it-alls!
Despite being so well-informed, you left out an important contribution to the discussion that would make us uninformed outsiders better informed.

Did your kids go to school on Thursday? And why did you make the choice you made on that?

Old 04-27-2014, 02:00 PM

172 posts, read 238,562 times
Look I'm not saying that any parent who kept their kids home is a bad parent, I may not agree with you that you did it, but I know as parents we all do what we think is best for our kids. What I am noticing though is the pure anger that comes out of people when another person or parent disagrees with something they did. In this situation the parents who had their kids go to school don't appear to be nearly as angry or defensive as the parents who didn't send their kids.

Parents, I am one, need to understand that there is no one right way to raise a kid, but we each have our own opinions of it, which doesn't mean other ways are wrong, but just different.

My view, as I stated in another post, is simply that I feel like keeping my kid out of school because of a very obvious hoax just sends the wrong message to her that she needs to fear the world and be a victim to the bullies of it, and I haven't seen a good statement yet of what good thing a child would learn from keeping them home, I've only seen statements of how it kept the parents calmer. There may be a good lesson or message out there, but I haven't seen it, I just see teaching your kids to be afraid. If there is something good that was learned I would like to know what it is so I can factor it in on future decisions for the next time someone makes a threat like this, and believe me based on all the hysteria and news around this one, there will be another one.

I hope I'm not coming across as condescending as that's not what my tone is like while writing this post. It's really just MY OPINION, all it is, and you can still have YOUR OPINION without insulting mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio