Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:51 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what type of area this was like during the late 70's? Especially near the Pecan Valley and Southcross area. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
That intersection has not changed much since the late 70's. On the southwest quadrant was I believe a filling station which is now a tobacco shop. For many years the Valley View Pharmacy was on that hill next to the doctors offices but the insurance company's ran him out of business. The northwest quadrant has been a small strip center with the main tenants being the Beauty Shop and The Trap Bar. The Trap Bar is one on the oldest, one owner, bars in the city. Same owner for over 35 years. The northeast quadrant of course is the Pecan Valley Golf course which has been there since the 60's I would guess. The southeat quadrant has probably undergone the most change. For as long as I can remember there was a Lone Star Ice House. When they went out of business the building was taken over but a music store, Texas Music. Texas Music was there for well over 10 years but has closed. The building has been torn down. I don't know what is in store for that corner next.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:04 PM

469 posts, read 1,156,144 times
Yes it was an Exxon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
On the southwest quadrant was I believe a filling station which is now a tobacco shop.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM

44 posts, read 192,159 times
I grew up near here, also. I can remember the hill before the apartments or the center were on it. It was all wooded. I had always heard that there was a house up there, but I never saw it. Someone mentioned previously on this thread that it was "Mrs. Burke's" home. I'm assuming that was E.J. "Jimmy" Burke's wife. E.J. Burke developed much of that area - the "Burke Homes" sign was near this intersection for years.

The area originally was a ranch owned by Mr. Palfrey, for whom the street was named. He did business with my dad for years, long after the area was developed. The story I heard was that he had a very nice home in the area we called "the woods" (southeast siders will no where I am talking about). My dad said that when he sold out, he completely gutted the house for everything of value. I'm not sure exactly where the house was - I didn't generally venture too far into the woods. There were a few caves in there and it was a fun but scary area for a kid.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:24 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,590,076 times
Great info Brian. Would that house have been east of the creek? I have heard talk of a house east of the creek that is abandoned. There is a grave there as well. I haven't seen it though myself.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Great info Brian. Would that house have been east of the creek? I have heard talk of a house east of the creek that is abandoned. There is a grave there as well. I haven't seen it though myself.
I've heard two different places mentioned as the location of the house. The first was in the woods at the intersection of Killarney and Fairlawn. I find that one hard to believe, as there's a big drop-off almost immediately behind that that goes down to the golf course and the creek.

The other location, which I think is more likely, is somewhere in the woods that all of the "nice" houses (relative term) that are behind Rogers Junior High butt up against - on the other side of the hill. Hope that makes sense. It would roughly be delineated by Loop 13 on the south and Killarney on the north. I'm not sure of the street names for the east and west boundary.

And, yes, to answer your question, that would be east of Salado Creek.

I'm not sure where Mr. Palfrey is buried, but I can't imagine that would be his grave.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:19 PM

469 posts, read 1,156,144 times
I used to live on East Palfrey and always wondered where the name came from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The area originally was a ranch owned by Mr. Palfrey, for whom the street was named. He did business with my dad for years, long after the area was developed. The story I heard was that he had a very nice home in the area we called "the woods" (southeast siders will no where I am talking about). My dad said that when he sold out, he completely gutted the house for everything of value. I'm not sure exactly where the house was - I didn't generally venture too far into the woods. There were a few caves in there and it was a fun but scary area for a kid.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
I grew up near here, also. I can remember the hill before the apartments or the center were on it.
Are you referring to the Summer View apartments? When were they built?

Overall, I'm mainly curious about the relative safety of the area, both now and 30 years ago.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Are you referring to the Summer View apartments? When were they built?

Overall, I'm mainly curious about the relative safety of the area, both now and 30 years ago.
I don't know the current name of the apartments. They are on the hill behind the center someone else mentioned that's at the northwest corner of Pecan Valley and Southcross. The apartments are actually on Southcross.

As far as the safety, I can only answer from 30 years ago. It was fine...we used to go on vacation almost the whole month of June, with no locks other than the one on the door knob. We were NEVER burglarized. I grew up in a non central air house. The house had wood screen windows that could have easily been torn (in fact, we'd do that if we got locked out of the house). We'd lock the windows if we would be gone for several days, but a crook could easily break a window and get in - there were no additional locks on the windows, and no alarm system in those days!

That area still has a fair number of people that have been in their homes for years, from my understanding. Of course, with the great flight to the north that happened in the 60s and beyond, it's certainly changed a lot.

Hope someone else can give more info on how it is now.

Old 12-11-2007, 09:29 PM

174 posts, read 505,169 times
My grandparents used to live on the other side of 37, behind Inez Foster Elementary. I used to spend my summers all over that area. We played baseball at the school almost every day. It was a safe and nice place to live with good neighbors and lots of kids. I remember walking almost daily up to the Piggly Wiggly next to 37 and sometimes a little further up towards Southcross to a larger Handy Andy. There was an ummm.... First Mate?? fish stand on the same side of the road as Handy Andy we'd drop in for fried fish. This was in the early '70s though.

Things sure have changed since I used to ride go-carts at McCreless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio