Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 11:13 AM

326 posts, read 681,720 times

Advertisements

So I've had several people inbox me saying to stay away from Judson as well as Schertz in general. I understand the Judson comments as I've heard those before. However, what is "wrong" with Schertz? We saw several homes we thought were nice and all in the high 200- mid 300 range. Part of the reason we'd like to leave MD is the cost of living. We'd LIKE to spend 300 to mid 300's for a home, if less-AWESOME. But the idea was to move and cut some cost of living expenses. However, the reasons I've received inboxed to me are things like, "Schertz is mostly working class, military families." Since when was this counted as a negative? Someone asked me if I would mind being a minority as the area is heavily hispanic/black? I've been to Schertz and don't recall feeling "out of place."

My point is- I'm totally confused by comments on this thread vs what people are "inboxing" me. We wanted to be in driving distance to Universal City, but I most likely wouldn't be driving to see my grandad during rush hour anyways. Week days are hectic with three kids and work. We had initially looked in Boerne because everyone had great things to say about it as well.

Sorry for the rant. Just slightly confused with the mix of comments.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 11:22 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapp5 View Post
So I've had several people inbox me saying to stay away from Judson as well as Schertz in general. I understand the Judson comments as I've heard those before. However, what is "wrong" with Schertz? We saw several homes we thought were nice and all in the high 200- mid 300 range. Part of the reason we'd like to leave MD is the cost of living. We'd LIKE to spend 300 to mid 300's for a home, if less-AWESOME. But the idea was to move and cut some cost of living expenses. However, the reasons I've received inboxed to me are things like, "Schertz is mostly working class, military families." Since when was this counted as a negative? Someone asked me if I would mind being a minority as the area is heavily hispanic/black? I've been to Schertz and don't recall feeling "out of place."

My point is- I'm totally confused by comments on this thread vs what people are "inboxing" me. We wanted to be in driving distance to Universal City, but I most likely wouldn't be driving to see my grandad during rush hour anyways. Week days are hectic with three kids and work. We had initially looked in Boerne because everyone had great things to say about it as well.

Thanks everyone!
Schertz is very nice and has nothing wrong with it. The only issue would be traffic on 35.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
I've lived here in Schertz since 1971 when my dad came back here and retired out at Randolph in 1975.
Nothing wrong with the area.many people like the Schertz School District and I work for them but not as a teacher. There are a lot of retired and active military here.
Schertz has a good sized public park with a pool.They have various family activities like Fourth of July,,etc.
They just built a new animal shelter and adoption center. We also have a new YMCA with family activities,plus a large library.
The school district every summer has things like tennis camp,basketball camp,etc. for kids. There is also the Buffalo Valley Youth Association.There are some baseball fields down in the park and also by the Schertz Civic Center.On Maske Road is the soccer fields.
There have always been hispanics here.Not that many blacks,,,but things have changed since of course Hurricane Katrina.Everyone seems to get along.We aren't talking Newark or Detroit or East LA or Compton here.
You can drive up to Natural Bridge Caverns and Wildlife Ranch or take the kids to New Braunfels to Schlitterbahn Waterpark or Splash Town in San Antonio.
I have friends who live in Fair Oaks Ranch and it is a drive to go into San Antonio.If you choose Schertz it isn't that far a drive to Universal City or Fort Sam Houston.
Randolph Realty or some of the other realtors in the area can tell you what houses are going for.You can also search Trulia and Zillow websites and just type in Schertz,,,,,,,,Live Oak,etc.
They show photos and give prices on houses.If you do vchoose to live in San Antonio it also shows you that as well.
As far as private schools go, in Converse is St.Monica's.Selma has Our Lady of Perpetual Help.
In the town of Comal;there is John Paull II High School,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,which I'm sure they will change to St.John Paul II since he has been canonized. There is St.Mary's Hall(episcopal) on Starcrest,,,Cornerstone on Stone Oak,and some others if looking for protestant schools.
I hope this helps out.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 PM

Thanks for all of the great information!!!

Old 05-15-2014, 07:46 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,283 times
Oh you're welcome.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:

Thanks everyone!
Did you ask the people who sent you this info?

Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Yes, and the answers were that Schertz is nice now but Universal City is declining and that will bleed into Schertz. Or, just playing up more to the "your kids will be the only white kids on sports teams". But again, I've been through Schertz as of a year ago, and I wasn't the "only white person" anywhere.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:22 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times
Quote:
Yes, and the answers were that Schertz is nice now but Universal City is declining and that will bleed into Schertz. Or, just playing up more to the "your kids will be the only white kids on sports teams". But again, I've been through Schertz as of a year ago, and I wasn't the "only white person" anywhere.
the city is 62.5% white non-hispanic...

Old 05-15-2014, 01:41 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,062,074 times
Whats wrong with being in the minority where one lives anyway?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:23 AM

Not sure there's anything "wrong" with it. I just prefer a balance or "mix" of different cultures in general. I guess I was just surprised by the remarks that were inboxed rather than posted to the thread. The example was that my kids, being white boys, would have a hard time making friends in an area like Schertz due to being the minority.
I'd think they'd make friends easily enough given the amount of military that comes and goes through the area. Isn't everyone the "new" kid at some point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio