Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM

12 posts, read 78,446 times

Advertisements

Hello, all! My fiancée just received a great job in San Antonio as a Quality & Aerospace Engineer, and we plan on moving in together in September. We are in our early 20s with good credit, and I'm a software engineer, if that is useful to anyone. So, my fiancée is already in Texas with family, but I'm in California and, naturally, I don't know much about the state. Anyway, we don't want to buy a house yet (student loans), so we're hoping to find a decent apartment in the area 78238 or the areas surrounding, which I believe is Inner West Side and Far West Side. I'm stuck with the researching (heh), so I'd like to know what we're getting ourselves into.

Basically, I'd like to know the average prices of a few things along with what to expect ahead of time (ie. electric vs gas, water, etc)

Ideally, we want a 2 bedroom apartment because we're nerds like no other, meaning, one room for sleep and one for our copious amounts of technological gadgetry. I would expect the A/C blowing at medium for two reasons: our tech and because I've never experienced central air before (which I was told is a standard in Texas). To summarize - at least one of the 5+ computers and laptops would be on 24/7, A/C would probably be set at 70 year round, we use lighting like normal people (everything is off when it is not in use) and assuming the apartment would have electric stoves, that's the only way we would prepare food since we have a disdain for microwaving.

I'd also like to know how water and sewage is usually paid (if at all), and if the price of electricity is different depending on the season (it is the same all year where I am currently). Lastly, I'd like to know if fresh fruits and vegetables are more expensive in Texas than California, which I'm expecting already, but would appreciate more insight on as we'll be on a pretty tight budget for the first year or so, according to my calculations. Let me know if I need to clarify or go into details about anything.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to help a few kids out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:18 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Apartment prices are going to vary depending on whether you want a newer complex or an older one, the area, and if you need washer/dryer connections. 5 years ago, I paid $750 for a 2 bed 2 bath on the north side in an older, rundown complex. My electric bill was about $80 in the winter and $200 to $250 in the summer, with the thermostat set on 67 in the winter and 76 in the summer, computer left on most of the time, average amount of cooking. Water, trash and sewage are paid to the apartment complex and are usually determined by the sq footage of your apartment, mine was $40/month. An older apartment will be cheaper than a newer one but the AC unit may be older too and that's what makes the electric bill so high. Sometimes the air conditioners just don't work right and some complexes are not good about fixing them. We had one apartment where the AC didn't work and it was so hot that when I tried to cook, sweat ran off of me and made my floor slippery, and my kids got rashes from the heat all the time. We had to move because the complex wouldn't fix it. That's one thing about San Antonio, working central air is a necessity for the summers here.

People have different views on the different parts of town...some of 78238 may be a little rough for your liking. I personally would look at Bandara/1604 or the complexes along highway 151, or 1604/Military as long as you don't need the absolute cheapest place you can find. Most of those complexes are newer and in better repair, which means better air conditioners and (probably) a lower electric bill. Also get renter's insurance wherever you live, to protect against loss from fire or theft.

About fruit and vegetable prices, I don't know how they compare to California, but here are the prices I usually see on the things I buy often: A head of leaf lettuce is usually $1.58, a cucumber is 58 cents, summer squash or eggplant $1.69/lb, kale or spinach $1.69/bunch, cilantro 28 cents a bunch. Fruit prices vary depending on the season and I buy whatever's in season. The price of cauliflower varies, sometimes I can find it for a dollar and sometimes it's $3. I also shop for veggies at the 99 cent only store and La Michoacana even though the things they have are kind of random sometimes.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:04 PM

12 posts, read 78,446 times
Thank you for your information, Hedgehog_Mom. I will definitely look into the areas you suggested because I wasn't even aware the zipcode mentioned was in a rough neighborhood. I appreciate you taking the time to inform me of the vegetables since we're sort of retentive about that, heh. I'm glad that sewage and water is done roughly the same way out there as it is here - the reason I ask about it is because we lived in an area that charged a surprise $100-$250 sporadically (sometimes every 1, 3 or 6 months). We definitely want to avoid that hassle again. At any rate, we appreciate the very useful information.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
78238 isn't like ghetto in anyway. It's not unsafe in that sense but there may be some people around that give you a weird vibe, depending on exactly where you are. The area also includes the suburb of Leon Valley so search for that within the forum and online. City-data does have a good rundown of zipcodes that may interest you. For your age range and interests, I would recommend the area around 410/151 toward Westover Hills. I would stay away from living right off of Ingram or Potranco though. Those areas don't rub me the right way in the way that 78238 may not rub others the right way. I feel like there are lots of rental homes in the area that attracts neighbors that aren't the best at times.

Since you mentioned 78238, I will mention that Leon Valley does have a Farmers Market. We have a small, but relatively good, network of producers and farmers. I buy vegetables there every once in a while (I haven't been in ages).

For apartments, there are lots of newer apartments right off of 151 in that area. Since they are new they could be a bit pricier (say $1000?). Like HedgehogMom mentioned, it really depends on how new the property is. In the end it is none of our decisions on where you would like to live. So take my opinion with a grain of salt (and I really hope it doesn't start a war of the far west side/west side/northwest side people).

I do not live in the same area as you are looking and have a small apartment (452 sq ft) and pay about $50 a month right now and about $60 in the summer with about $100 in the winter. Water/waste/sewage is about $30 a month. That is paid directly to my complex.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: