Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 12:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,231 times

Advertisements

Deep Forest- check your new bill. I had that same fee last month with super low water usage. This month my bill is $1.71-no I didn't forget a number. I'm wondering if they made an error last month and have adjusted for it. Of course I'm afraid to call in case they decide to add some zeros!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:57 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Deep Forest- check your new bill. I had that same fee last month with super low water usage. This month my bill is $1.71-no I didn't forget a number. I'm wondering if they made an error last month and have adjusted for it. Of course I'm afraid to call in case they decide to add some zeros!
You're wise not to call. Your new bill may be the error.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:33 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
Is it possible someone was using or stealing the water between April 2-19? For example, construction or perhaps a neighbor using it?
Next to my house they are doing new construction and I made sure I had the outside faucet locked (I bought a faucet lock at Lowe's) so that it is not accessible while I'm at work, etc.
Maybe that happened to you? Good luck, I hope this gets fixed for you.
I suppose anything was possible from April 2-19. I can't prove or disprove anything, since we were in a different state during that time.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I suppose anything was possible from April 2-19. I can't prove or disprove anything, since we were in a different state during that time.
If your sprinkler system was on during this time, your bill isn't out of line. My bill easily will hit $360 in the summer with my system on and that includes watering only within my assigned day of the week and strict compliance with the time limits. Water is expensive in San Antonio. That is why I have done more xeriscaping every year.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,668,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
If your sprinkler system was on during this time, your bill isn't out of line. My bill easily will hit $360 in the summer with my system on and that includes watering only within my assigned day of the week and strict compliance with the time limits. Water is expensive in San Antonio. That is why I have done more xeriscaping every year.
Wow, I have never dealt with water bills that high! We just moved to SA from Lake Charles, Louisiana, and I got spoiled by ridiculously low water bills there. Even with our sprinkler system, our bill rarely went over $25. During the unseasonably cold winter we just had, with temps in the low 20s on a few occasions, the sprinkler system busted a pipe and flooded the backyard. Whopping bill that month? 42 bucks!

I think I can tolerate a brown lawn more easily than I can tolerate a $300-400/month water bill!

Old 05-16-2014, 04:10 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,191,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post

No, it wasn't an error in the billing. They're charging me for water I COULD have used, not what I used. Can you say scam ??

Old 05-17-2014, 07:24 AM

861 posts, read 864,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Wow, I have never dealt with water bills that high! We just moved to SA from Lake Charles, Louisiana, and I got spoiled by ridiculously low water bills there. Even with our sprinkler system, our bill rarely went over $25. During the unseasonably cold winter we just had, with temps in the low 20s on a few occasions, the sprinkler system busted a pipe and flooded the backyard. Whopping bill that month? 42 bucks!

I think I can tolerate a brown lawn more easily than I can tolerate a $300-400/month water bill!
Wow, you were spoiled with cheap water. Water is more scarce here and $300-400/month is the going rate to keep a modest lawn green. Yearly rate increases have already been approved and will probably go higher as population increases.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:27 AM

243 posts, read 333,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuero View Post
Wow, you were spoiled with cheap water. Water is more scarce here and $300-400/month is the going rate to keep a modest lawn green. Yearly rate increases have already been approved and will probably go higher as population increases.
Sounds like you may be wasting more than you are using. My lawn is right at a quarter of an acre typical for a corner lot in my neighborhood and I water with an in ground sprinkler system front and back yard once a week and have the normal usage inside my home as anyone else and my bill has never been over $90. For $300-$400 a month I have to ask what do you call a modest lawn?

Old 05-17-2014, 12:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,545,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geargrinder70 View Post
Sounds like you may be wasting more than you are using. My lawn is right at a quarter of an acre typical for a corner lot in my neighborhood and I water with an in ground sprinkler system front and back yard once a week and have the normal usage inside my home as anyone else and my bill has never been over $90. For $300-$400 a month I have to ask what do you call a modest lawn?
And SAWS is your source of water? My yard is a third acre, irrigated front and back. I peak at $360 in summer, while observing the current water restrictions. God bless your broken water meter!

Old 05-17-2014, 01:04 PM

243 posts, read 333,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybolt View Post
And SAWS is your source of water? My yard is a third acre, irrigated front and back. I peak at $360 in summer, while observing the current water restrictions. God bless your broken water meter!
Yes I'm with SAWS and the meter is brand new and working. They replaced it a few months back just because it was scheduled to be changed. I've been here in this house for 14 years now and my bill has been pretty regular. I do try and conserve as much as I can. Also I read my meter every month also just to keep them honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio