Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:52 PM

27 posts, read 26,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
There's hardly any anti-toll road arguments in actual meetings because hardly anyone shows up to protest them.
The the meeting was held on a Thursday at 1pm. Then they proceeded to speak for hours, before they would allow the public to comment. Do you listen to talk radio at all? Its anti toll road 24 hours a day. I'm against them since we've already paid for these roads once. I've been places where toll roads have been implemented, they simply stop maintaining the non-toll roads and force you drive on tolled road. That said, I'm sorry I missed the HOA meeting for Alamo Ranch, I was out of town. Sounds like Chico did not address any short term solutions to our traffic problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 02:45 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercone View Post
Forgive me if I choose not to believe one word in your reply, but my facts are buttressed by the evidence. The diatribe you posted, well, I'll let others draw their own conclusions.

The politically operative term here is TENTATIVE. "Tentatively", the rate will be $0.17 a mile. Since it will undoubtedly come as a shocking surprise to you that the Alamo RMA IS a GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY (more on this below), they are NOT locked into any price they set AND NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING is "set in stone."

Please show me the "CONTRACT" that was signed GUARANTEEING that citizens would NOT pay more than 17 cents a mail to travel the new 281 toll road when it is completed. I think we could all benefit from seeing this GUARANTEED "SET IN STONE" -- "IRON CLAD" contract. The only thing we are GUARANTEED is that we will pay a minimum of 17 cents a mile, if not more, and it will be much more. By the time it is complete, the Alamo RMA will be able to charge whatever you are willing to pay. They can do it and you gave them the power.

The 17 cent a mile was a teaser rate designed to suck in the confidences of the unsophisticated and the desperate into their corner for the purposes of increasing toll road support.

The same 'banana republic' atmosphere and meetings used to TENTATIVELY set the suggested 17 cent a mile rate will be reconvened to increase the rates in the future as outlined in my previous post.

Lastly, the latest from the Alamo RMA's own website contravenes your posted assertions:

-Financial Issues
--How much will the tolls be?
---Exact amounts have yet to be determined. All efforts will be made to ensure rates produce a fair, reliable, and affordable tolled lane system.

---Toll rates have not yet been set

--Who decides how much the tolls will be and when they will increase?

---While national averages are discussed in different forums, they are strictly national averages and, again, no rates have been set for any part of the potential tolled lane system in Bexar County.

DELUXE LINK >> http://www.alamorma.org/faqs.html

From the ALAMO RMA's own website(link provided below & emphasis provided is mine):
"The Alamo Regional Mobility Authority (Alamo RMA) is an independent GOVERNMENTAL AGENCY created by the Texas Transportation Commission and the Bexar County Commissioners Court in December 2003, to accelerate needed transportation projects in Bexar County."

DELUXE LINK >> http://www.alamorma.org/overview.html

Hold it, there's even more in case your thirst for knowledge is still unquenched:

"Under Chapter 370 of the Texas Statutes, an Regional Mobility Authority can be formed by one or more counties. The Texas Legislature first authorized the creation of Regional Mobility Authorities in 2001 with passage of Senate Bill 342.

A Regional Mobility Authority is authorized to finance, design, construct, operate, maintain and expand a wide range of transportation facilities and services. Potential projects include highways (tolled or untolled), ferries, airports, bikeways, and intermodal hubs. Projects can be financed using a wide range of methods, including the sale of tax-exempt revenue bonds, private equity, public grants, government loans, and revenue generated from existing transportation facilities. A Regional Mobility Authority can acquire or condemn property for projects, enter into public private partnerships, and set rates for the use of transportation facilities."

I anxiously wait to see your post supporting your "FACTS." In trying to maintain an atmosphere of holiday joy in this forum, I'll accept your sardonic misdescription of me as an unintended compliment to the obvious superior knowledge I posess concerning this subject matter.

In closing, let's not forget the toll road supporter's prayer:
"I need the government in my life and the government accepts me. I willing to pay more for government even if it is bad government. My money is the government's money. I would not have anything if it were not for my government."
I'll make this concise and to the point.

Please don't red-bold old statements from a site that woefully in need of an update and try to pass it off as the truth. Toll rates for 281 have been set.

Quote:
The Metropolitan Planning Organization, an intergovernmental board that until a couple of years ago was familiar mostly to policymakers and road industry officials, voted 12-4 to approve rates for the proposed U.S. 281 tollway.
Like I said and you confirmed in that post, the Alamo RMA isn't part of the "government" so your conspiracy theories once again fall short.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:47 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTeq View Post
The the meeting was held on a Thursday at 1pm. Then they proceeded to speak for hours, before they would allow the public to comment. Do you listen to talk radio at all? Its anti toll road 24 hours a day. I'm against them since we've already paid for these roads once. I've been places where toll roads have been implemented, they simply stop maintaining the non-toll roads and force you drive on tolled road. That said, I'm sorry I missed the HOA meeting for Alamo Ranch, I was out of town. Sounds like Chico did not address any short term solutions to our traffic problems.
I never said there wasn't anti-toll road sentiment being voiced but it's a bit sad that the anti-groups try to be so thunderous and intimidating as well as claim to be the voice of San Antonians when they can't get many people to show up at meetings are denounce the tolls. I guess people can actually see through their charades.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:36 PM

27 posts, read 26,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
I never said there wasn't anti-toll road sentiment being voiced but it's a bit sad that the anti-groups try to be so thunderous and intimidating as well as claim to be the voice of San Antonians when they can't get many people to show up at meetings are denounce the tolls. I guess people can actually see through their charades.
By implying that no one shows up at the toll road meetings, you insinuate that there wasn't a strong out cry. The toll road supporters are the only ones who have the power to name the date and time of the meetings. Don't you think it's a little shady to hold the meetings in the afternoon when everyone is working. In fact everything about toll roads stinks. They know that the voters would defeat it, so they appoint a quasi governmental agency that answers to no one but the big construction companies that are just salivating about all the cost overruns they will be able to charge.

Texas needs to be very careful in the next few years. As more transplants arrive (I'm one of them) some are demanding more government services. But someone has to pay for toll roads, immaculate school buildings etc.. Did anyone catch the recent news that Governor Arnold may be calling a fiscal emergency in California, because they can no longer afford all of the programs they've created? (http://www.nbc11.com/news/14858065/detail.html)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio