Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,349 times

Advertisements

The Landings at Brooks City Base, not The Landing up north. I love the look of this apartment and the units seem to go really fast. The amenities seem great and the staff has been awesome in getting me a place there. I called the SA PD and was lucky enough to get the substation that is pretty much right across the street and the officer I spoke with did a check and everything seems great with the property. It's comforting to know that there's a stations so close by.

My concern lies with the surrounding area. I've heard some nasty things about southside, gangs and whatnot. I looked up some crime maps and they're not too encouraging either, but so few areas of SA are. I will be commuting to Fort Sam daily from there and the commute time isn't a concern as I'm pretty used to a 20 minute commute anyway.

Do my concerns hold water?

Thanks.

Last edited by kski; 05-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,019 times
Yes, I don't think too many posters here will tell you to voluntarily move to the Southside. Not only is crime higher, there are just far fewer amenities; one mall, no bookstore, no nice grocery stores, the better hospitals are on the northside ect...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:15 PM

9,853 posts, read 13,719,600 times
It is an up and coming area and is going through lots of redevelopment. You will be a bit closer to downtown and there are some nice "active" things to do in the area. You are pretty close to Mission reach and to the downtown area. There are lots of restaurants in the area and shopping is more prevelant than I had thought when I went down there a few weeks ago. Traffic was kind of rough since it was lunch time though.

Since it is an area in transition, yes, there are some areas that aren't the best. But if you're set on that area I wouldn't shy away from it for just that reason.

As far as your commute, I would look a bit closer to Fort Sam. There are some newer complexes in that area that may fit within the same type of feel as the Landing. Not to mention you would be closer to things like the Quarry and even to the northside to get to 410 and everything off of there.

And honestly, I would go and visit myself (I don't know if you have or not) to get a feel of the area. I would not have a problem living there, but I also have a pretty high tolerance for not the best of areas.

Good luck!

Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 PM

Thank you so much for responding so quickly.

Unfortunately, I can't visit prior to the move but I'm not moving a lot of stuff anyway, so a hotel is doable for a short time, money is tight until I get down there and start the school. I've never had to find an apartment for myself before. Base housing first, then we went through an awesome realtor for a house when we moved after that. So researching areas is new and alien to me.

My wife will not be joining me this time, she's staying home. It's easier than moving everything this way and she gets to stay with her family.

I don't like the thought of putting a deposit on a place just to put another one someplace else a few days later and flush the money to the landings. And I do like what I've seen of the landings, their amenities and units, and personnel. The whole look of the place is cool to me. It's just what I've heard of the surroundings are bugging me now. I can defend myself, if you catch my drift, I would just really prefer not to have to.

What I really need to know is it enjoyable to live there? Are the areas around it just shady or are they actually dangerous? Crime is everywhere, where I live now my truck has been broken into twice, and it's a small town. I just want to make it through my year long class, with some peace and relaxation, while earning no extra holes in my person and not putting any extra in anyone else.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:26 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,937 times
It's perfectly fine. It's boring, IMO, but it's fine. "The Southside" covers an enormous area. There are pockets that are problematic, much that is fine. it's generally a working class area, lower-middle income but properties are well maintained. The Base has had a lot of development lately so loads of new shops - all box store chains and whatnot, and right, no bookstore, but grocery, walmart type stuff, chain restaurants etc. Pretty much what you find on the NW/W area like Alamo Ranch. Very similar, IMO, but development in the Brooks area is more recent, coupled with a more densely populated/older residential community around it. Safety wise the only thing I'd worry about walking around would be cars, not crime.

The apartments are what was formerly a military base, so most of the buildings nearby are new (with a few historic buildings nearby - I'm not sure if all areas are open now). I'm in the area frequently, and used to work on base before it was totally opened up (i.e. before the apartments went in), and never ever felt hesitant or unsafe.

I would have chosen an area closer to downtown or to Ft Sam, myself, just because I like to live in a walkable area and have a more diverse array of options (i.e. not chains), but when I need HEB or Target or Lowe's or Ross, that's where I go.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:30 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Yes, I don't think too many posters here will tell you to voluntarily move to the Southside. Not only is crime higher, there are just far fewer amenities; one mall, no bookstore, no nice grocery stores, the better hospitals are on the northside ect...
Within less than a mile of The Landings is HEB, Target, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Depot, along with assorted other chain stuff. You can probably see the brand-spanking new Mission Trails Baptist Hospital from the Landings (on a par with all in the Baptist System on the north side, and better than NC Baptist for sure).

And also within a mile is the Mission Reach which now goes all the way to Mission Espada, if you want some nature.

The HEB there is similar to Wurzbach HEB, though it's always packed....

Old 05-16-2014, 01:42 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,446,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Within less than a mile of The Landings is HEB, Target, Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Depot, along with assorted other chain stuff. You can probably see the brand-spanking new Mission Trails Baptist Hospital from the Landings (on a par with all in the Baptist System on the north side, and better than NC Baptist for sure).

And also within a mile is the Mission Reach which now goes all the way to Mission Espada, if you want some nature.

This is coming from someone from multiple family members in medical fields, but the baptist system is the last one we would use.
I stand by what I say, the southside can't hold a candle to what the Northside offers.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:44 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,356,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post

That is being expanded with a while new tower going in.

I think what Sumboy meant is other than Brooks City Base Landing that area is really lacking (with the exception of Mexican food and tire/muffler shops) decent shopping.

While some of the development has the same stores as the Alamo Ranch area it is definitely NOT on par with Alamo Ranch.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Thank you much to all of you for the responses. I really do appreciate the help.

To muddy the waters a bit more, I just received a call from Cenizo Flats and they also have an opening on the exact day I need it. Much closer to Fort Sam. What do you all think of that area and facility? I had one guy that just came back from Fort Sam say Wurzbach isn't so hot either. Thoughts?

Old 05-16-2014, 01:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,356,286 times
You will be way closer to Fort Sam with a 5 minute commute. You will have a grocery store, Wal-Mart, Lowes, and more two miles away.

You will see more diversity of people in that area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio