Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Too many links to list, so please check this:
Tornado warning in San Antonio what's to do - Google Search

or read this:
How to Make a Tornado Survival Plan - KABB - Fox San Antonio - News, Sports, Weather, Traffic - San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Oh really, wonderboy? And where did YOU get YOUR meteorology degree? It used to be that a tornado had to be touched down, sighted, SEEN WITH ACTUAL EYES...it's not that way anymore apparently...now it's "well, we saw a 'cloud wall' on the doppler, and that prompted us to escalate this to a Warning..." which is supposed to be due to "advances in technology" but it unfortunately, like MOST weather-related broadcasting these days, brings a CHICKEN LITTLE approach to forecasting.

I'll say it again, as many times as I da*n well please, and if you don't like it, you know what you can do. I grew up living with REAL tornado warnings. When one was issued you dropped EVERYTHING and went to your closet or bathroom. I was the ONLY one that got up from the restaurant where we were today, paid the bill, left and went home. Everyone's NWS alerts were going off at the same time and everyone ignored them except me. Now I know why.

"Conditions were favorable" does not and SHOULD not equate a Tornado Warning. That's a WATCH.

People need to get off their high horses around here.
And how many people lost their lives needlessly? I actually studied meteorology with meteorologist Ron Jackson out of Dallas, so yeah I can say with some authority you outdated uninformed opinion actually kills people. I will stay on my high horse because it saves lives. Btw I was watching the NWS NEXRAD feed and could see a hook echo, so I wouldn't be surprised if they found evidence of a tornado.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:15 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone Read View Post
Absolutely right. A tornado warning is serious.

But absent having a tornado shelter, which I don't, what do you do or where do you go?
Go to a first floor bathroom or interior closet. Stay away from windows, don't not attempt to leave and shelter in place. Even if you are out dining or shopping stay there, you are much safer there than on the road.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:31 PM

102 posts, read 188,226 times
If the Doppler radar indicates rotation within the storm, that substantially increases the chances of a tornado forming, therefore a warning is issued. Once a tornado has touched down, average lead time before it hits a specific area is 13 minutes. Meteorologists try to increase this lead time to save lives. To bash them for doing this is idiotic. It's better safe than sorry. Tornadoes are very difficult to predict. So if a warning is issued I suggest you take it seriously.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:43 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
I'd much rather they warn people that a tornado might happen than wait till they see one; If there are people in the path of where it formed getting injured or worse with no warning because they have to wait until someone sees it.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM

229 posts, read 473,856 times
Quote:
Oh really, wonderboy? And where did YOU get YOUR meteorology degree? It used to be that a tornado had to be touched down, sighted, SEEN WITH ACTUAL EYES...it's not that way anymore apparently...now it's "well, we saw a 'cloud wall' on the doppler, and that prompted us to escalate this to a Warning..." which is supposed to be due to "advances in technology" but it unfortunately, like MOST weather-related broadcasting these days, brings a CHICKEN LITTLE approach to forecasting.

I'll say it again, as many times as I da*n well please, and if you don't like it, you know what you can do. I grew up living with REAL tornado warnings. When one was issued you dropped EVERYTHING and went to your closet or bathroom. I was the ONLY one that got up from the restaurant where we were today, paid the bill, left and went home. Everyone's NWS alerts were going off at the same time and everyone ignored them except me. Now I know why.

"Conditions were favorable" does not and SHOULD not equate a Tornado Warning. That's a WATCH.

Wow...haven't seen you so riled up on CD before...maybe you need a break.

There is an old adage...BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. If you think the warning is baseless (in your opinion), then go right ahead and ignore it. The fact of the matter is that warnings have come a VERY long way in the last 15 years...there's lots of information out there, you can do the research.

I have to assume if they *didn't* issue the warning, and your glass house got blown in, you'd be the first one here raising absolute HELL about the NWS not issuing a warning.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:50 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Quote:

If they waited until AFTER the tornado touched down before they issued a warning, there would be no point to issue a warning would there? Can you picture yourself sitting in rubble, followed by an emergency alert on your cell phone? Doesn't make sense, does it? Sorry you had to cut your meal short.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
Wow...haven't seen you so riled up on CD before...maybe you need a break.

There is an old adage...BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY. If you think the warning is baseless (in your opinion), then go right ahead and ignore it. The fact of the matter is that warnings have come a VERY long way in the last 15 years...there's lots of information out there, you can do the research.

I have to assume if they *didn't* issue the warning, and your glass house got blown in, you'd be the first one here raising absolute HELL about the NWS not issuing a warning.
No, I don't need a break. Thanks for your fake/sarcastic concern. I'm just sick of people spouting/parroting what they THINK they know about EVERY single subject in this town on this forum. Know-it-alls that have to shoot everybody else down for having a DIFFERENT OPINION (yes, remember those?? OPINIONS!). My post and its frustrations has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether a tornado would blow my house in and whether I'd be bit*hing about it. That's a totally ridiculous assumption, and is a distraction to the actual problem here. Especially in light of the OBVIOUS where I mentioned that I was the ONLY one to leave the restaurant where I was and no one else seemed to care. Seriously, think about that.

Even Steve Browne, head meteorologist for KSAT-12, says the warning/watch system is broken, confusing, and not effective. He posted as much on his facebook page this very morning. I'm not the only person that got pissed off yesterday; just look at KSAT's page and you'll see others share the same sentiment.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM

4,434 posts, read 5,348,331 times
FYI Steve Brownie just posted that system is flawed on his FB page but for different reasons.

My only issues is the trigger happy warnings that we have occasionally. Kens 5 was measuring the "shear marker" live on air. While that storm was rotating the air was blowing 24 MPH toward the radar and 23 MPH away. That must have been one hell of a tornado at 47 MPH...

The final issue with yesterdays warning was it was way to cut way to far East an San Antonio was never at risk.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:01 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,778,122 times
Is this thread about tornado warnings or flipping out if the masses don't agree with your opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio