Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Now go get a radar detector.. All four of our cars have them and they save you a LOT. They're not perfect, but about 99% of the cops around here drive with their radar on 24/7, so you "see" them from at least a mile away..
Why not just mind the rules of the road, maybe?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:42 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,753 times
Quote:
Why not just mind the rules of the road, maybe?
That's kind of what I was going to say. Does it really present a good message to teenage drivers, who have a dangerous sense of bravado to begin with, to tell them, hey, speeding is perfectly acceptable so long as you don't get caught?

Old 12-16-2007, 06:29 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
Ha ha, I figured I'd take some heat for the radar detector comment.. they are 100% legal in Texas though, except on bases.
I guess I'm just not ignorant enough to believe my kids will never speed and I only hope they aren't as crazy as I was. I used to always push the limits of cars and I'm talking Vette's, BMW's, and even a Ferrari.. I do tell them that they don't have the experience to speed and remind them that two or more tons of steel at 60+ MPH really hurts.. however, nobody is perfect, especially 19 year old boys.. He does know he's screwed if he gets another ticket though. Definitely off the insurance and will have to get a second job just to get some on his own.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:06 AM

20 posts, read 113,189 times
All of the responses from the other posters are correct. You are ENTITLED to be allowed defensive driving once a year for most moving violations. You did not relate what the offense was or if it was even a moving violation / possibly a "no insurance" ticket, which is really a big fine. For an insurance ticket there is no deferred adjudication or defensive driving, and it is a suspended license for a subsequent conviction. Regardless of the violation, I recommend you address it immediately because ignoring it will result in additional fees such as a state levy, arrest warrant fee, and possible denied renewal of your license. The court clerks are usually very helpful to those who approach like a gentleman (lady) and can help over the phone. The cheapest quick fix is to pay the fine only. The cheapest and most responsible way in the long run is to take defensive driving. You will still pay the fine but a conviction will not appear on your record, thus keeping your insurance rates at their lowest for your age. Good luck. I hope it works out.

Last edited by mark3253; 12-16-2007 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: I left out important info.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,323 times
The OP seems to be surprized that they got a ticket that they cannot afford. Fines are not designed to be affordable. That would defeat the purpose. Fines are supposed to hurt you where it hurts the most. In your wallet. If you don't want to spend all of your money on traffic fines then start driving like you are supposed to. I don't think that some DD course is going to teach you that. You are supposed to know how to drive before they issue you a licence. The way I see some people driving on the freeways today makes me think they should be fined, have their car impounded and be forced to ride the bus for about 6 months. To me it doesn't seem equitable that someone can have a few beers and have a blood alcohol content above .08% and have their life turned upside down for years. But your can get pulled over and ticketed for driving like a complete idiot risking the lives of everyone around you and all you have to do is go to the comedy club for a DD course. Not that I condone drunk driving because I definatly do not but it just seems like the laws are kind of lopsided.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:51 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
That's kind of what I was going to say. Does it really present a good message to teenage drivers, who have a dangerous sense of bravado to begin with, to tell them, hey, speeding is perfectly acceptable so long as you don't get caught?
You must not have kids.

Of course you tell them not to speed. You also hope they aren't having sex, but do you want them caught without a condom? You want them to be responsible with money, but do you let them get a checking account and become overdrawn so they learn responsibility? I could go on and on, but why? One day you may have kids of your own.......................don't wanna scare you.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
Once again, very well put sapphire. Maybe one day they'll invent that don't do it button implant and all kids will be perfect angels, but until then... I'm pretty happy with mine. by the time I was my sons age I had already had my license suspended and by the time I was my daughters age I already had a family.. Not saying I regret any of it, but I definitely followed the "Go for it" motto long before Nike started advertising it...

Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Ha ha, I figured I'd take some heat for the radar detector comment.. they are 100% legal in Texas though, except on bases.
I guess I'm just not ignorant enough to believe my kids will never speed and I only hope they aren't as crazy as I was. I used to always push the limits of cars and I'm talking Vette's, BMW's, and even a Ferrari.. I do tell them that they don't have the experience to speed and remind them that two or more tons of steel at 60+ MPH really hurts.. however, nobody is perfect, especially 19 year old boys.. He does know he's screwed if he gets another ticket though. Definitely off the insurance and will have to get a second job just to get some on his own.

But does your insurance company know you have it?
Most carriers I've worked for will not cover a vehicle with a radar detector and, if a radar detector is added later their policies actually exclude coverage for any claims (for some obvious reasons)....
And police officers DO note the presence of them on their completed reports, which means, we - the adjusters, will find out about it and coverage for that accident would be, of course, excluded - and.................... the insured will probably be immediately dropped altogether....
when they attempt to secure insurance elsewhere, the new carrier WILL find out about your radar detector, and you'll only be able to get insurance at about 400% of what you previously paid..... and yes, you can remove it prior to a physical inpsection by the new carrier, but...... we will know about it anyway......

Last edited by PopsGuysRule; 12-16-2007 at 01:17 PM..

Old 12-16-2007, 02:20 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,753 times
Quote:
You must not have kids.

Of course you tell them not to speed. You also hope they aren't having sex, but do you want them caught without a condom? You want them to be responsible with money, but do you let them get a checking account and become overdrawn so they learn responsibility? I could go on and on, but why? One day you may have kids of your own.......................don't wanna scare you.
I think that's a false syllogism. A radar detector doesn't protect you from anything but getting caught breaking a law. It allows you to avoid the consequences of your actions.

A condom promotes safe sex. A radar detector doesn't promote safe driving, it promotes driving however you feel like and then warns you in time to slow down and pretend you've been following the rules in order to avoid punishment.

I very much resent your snide comment about my having or not having children. I had a baby. He was stillborn. Thank you for reminding me that I will never have the opportunity to teach him about responsible driving.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:38 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I think that's a false syllogism. A radar detector doesn't protect you from anything but getting caught breaking a law. It allows you to avoid the consequences of your actions.

A condom promotes safe sex. A radar detector doesn't promote safe driving, it promotes driving however you feel like and then warns you in time to slow down and pretend you've been following the rules in order to avoid punishment.

I very much resent your snide comment about my having or not having children. I had a baby. He was stillborn. Thank you for reminding me that I will never have the opportunity to teach him about responsible driving.
A condom "allows you to avoid the consequences of your actions", hopefully, as well. A condom can not promote safe sex because there is no such thing, except in a totally 100% monogamous relationship.

The comment about "you must not have kids" was followed by a smiley, not intended to be rude or snide. If you want to take what is said on a message board to heart then so be it. I'm sorry you had a stillborn child. There must not be anything more painful than that.

You've tried "correcting" me before, and if you'd like I can do a search for that particular comment. I understand that you are in law school, and that's very admirable, but this is a message board, not one of your classes. Lighten up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio