Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,360 times

Advertisements

I am looking into buying a house in Windcrest, Texas. I have heard about the foundation problems there. Does anybody know how these foundation problems are being fixed and what the cost is? Does the entire foundation have to be torn out? Please let me know what your experience has been.
Any other information you might have on problems in that area will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dustbuster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,120,287 times
The cost and complexity of the fix for a foundation problem depends on the severity of the problem. You might be able to fix a foundation problem with a bit of watering, or it may involve tens of thousands of dollars in work. It takes a professional to tell you which kind of problem you have. Here are a few links to local foundation-repair companies that have good information on their sites.

Arredondo Group Engineering & Construction, Foundation Repair Division
Olshan Foundation
Du-West Foundation : Home

Old 06-22-2008, 09:54 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,056 times
In 18 years here I've never heard of foundation problems in the Windcrest area. I have heard of problems further East (south of Randolph AFB). In this area, foundation problems are usually associated with clay-type soil and the fact it will contract away from the house during dry periods unless you keep the area around the foundation moist (not soaked).

Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
How do you do that? The home inspector commented on that when I bought, but I don't really understand how to do this. Burying a couple of drip irrigation lines? Does this require a lot of water?

Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
How do you do that? The home inspector commented on that when I bought, but I don't really understand how to do this. Burying a couple of drip irrigation lines? Does this require a lot of water?
According to the builder's manual that came with my home, using a soaker hose a couple of feet from the entire foundation for a few hours once a week should suffice.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times
Is it buried, or on the ground? What does the ground look like after it's done?

Old 06-23-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Is it buried, or on the ground? What does the ground look like after it's done?
It just lays on the ground. Since there's grass everywhere that the hose lies, it's hard to discern a difference in how the soil looks, but the grass feels spongy (not marshy, because that would be a sign that things are too wet) afterwards.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM

On top of the ground is OK. I actually just water by hand around the foundation once a week. Of course, I no longer live on clay, so it is not much of a worry anymore. My old house sat on clay and during the hot summer months I would get 2-3" wide fissures that are very deep in the yard. Clay will hold up the foundation if it remains firm with some water. But when it drys, it pulls away from the foundation, and that is when the house will settle faster and can cause cracks and other foundation problems.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:28 PM

109 posts, read 387,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
In 18 years here I've never heard of foundation problems in the Windcrest area. I have heard of problems further East (south of Randolph AFB). In this area, foundation problems are usually associated with clay-type soil and the fact it will contract away from the house during dry periods unless you keep the area around the foundation moist (not soaked).
I lived in the Windcrest area for 25 years and I am pretty sure that alot of the houses there have foundation problems. In fact, my best friend has a house right near the Windcrest pool and has huge cracks going through her living room tile, up the fireplace and along the ceiling.

An architect friend of mine explained to me that alot of houses in the area (not specifically Windcrest but Northeast in general) were built on top of landfills. Apparently as debris is breaking down, pockets are created and the land shifts causing foundation issues. Whether this is accurate or not, I am not sure.

My experience has been that almost every house that I have either visited or lived in in that area has had foundation problems. With the exception being the streets directly around Camelot Elementary.

Just my experience with my 'old stomp'n grounds'

Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi711 View Post
I lived in the Windcrest area for 25 years and I am pretty sure that alot of the houses there have foundation problems. In fact, my best friend has a house right near the Windcrest pool and has huge cracks going through her living room tile, up the fireplace and along the ceiling.

An architect friend of mine explained to me that alot of houses in the area (not specifically Windcrest but Northeast in general) were built on top of landfills. Apparently as debris is breaking down, pockets are created and the land shifts causing foundation issues. Whether this is accurate or not, I am not sure.

My experience has been that almost every house that I have either visited or lived in in that area has had foundation problems. With the exception being the streets directly around Camelot Elementary.

Just my experience with my 'old stomp'n grounds'
Landfills? Who would have known. I've heard of other landfills, but not at Windcrest. That definitely could make a difference, especially if it was created a long time ago and they didn't layer the trash with soil. Thanks yodi711.
BTW: IMO, Windcrest has the best Christmas decorations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio