Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,961 times

Advertisements

Hello...my husband and I are considering relocating to the Hill Country area in the near future. We have only been able to take a week long trip there to date but we were able to travel the entire area and loved it. We are in the medical field and the most likely places work would take us are San Antonio, New Braunfels or Kerrville. Austin is a possibility, however, we weren't huge fans of Austin so it would be at the bottom of the list. We have been living in Las Vegas, a bit too large and a bit too liberal of a city for our taste, for the past 3 years. Although we like the convenience of options for groceries, dining out and entertainment, we really miss the country life and would like to look for an option better suited to this. We are also horse lovers and would eventually like a property that would accommodate 2 horses. Does anyone have any advice for housing in these areas that would be a nice mix of country with access to amenities like concerts, dance halls etc with a bearable commute to these areas, say no more than 30 minutes or so? We would like to rent to start and aren't too concerned about acreage etc right now but would like to have access to these in the future once we are settled into work and life. Any info and advice is appreciated! It is so hard to move to an unknown place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2014, 02:52 PM

318 posts, read 567,312 times
There are a lot of great options for you around this area, but they vary quite a bit in price. I would focus on Boerne, New Braunfels and Helotes. The South Texas Medical Center with numerous hospitals, medical offices and research institutions is about 25-30 minutes from Helotes and Boerne. Kerrville and Fredericksburg could be great options as well, but are a little more remote.

For dance halls/concerts, New Braunfels has Gruene (pronounced "green") Hall, the oldest dance hall in Texas, and the Whitewater amphitheater. Live music can be heard at smaller venues as well, and it's only about 45 minutes to the live music mecca of Austin. Boerne is fairly close to Luckenbach and there are smaller venues as well, plus the Wednesday night concert series at the County Line BBQ on I-10 in San Antonio only 20-25 minutes away. Helotes has the Floore Country Store for concerts.

In general, Boerne and Fredericksburg will be the most expensive of these areas, especially for acreage horse properties. New Braunfels and Helotes will be slightly less expensive along with Kerrville. Based on your criteria, I would focus on Boerne or New Braunfels based on the amenities, proximity to everything you will want nearby and general quality of life.

Good luck!

Old 06-21-2014, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 6,961 times
Thank you for this great information. This is very helpful and we aren't familiar with some of these places so I'm definitely going to check them out online.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:15 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,624,392 times
I would look into Comfort, Center Point little further out than Boerne, New Braunfels but with in easy drive.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,136,288 times
Check out Camp Verde, Center Point, Waring, Comfort, Sisterdale, Kendalia, or Blanco.

Boerne has become like an extension of the northside of SA - suburban and overpriced.

The places I listed a just a little farther out, but are much more rural and horse-friendly.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:01 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,136,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoerneMan View Post
In general, Boerne and Fredericksburg will be the most expensive of these areas, especially for acreage horse properties. New Braunfels and Helotes will be slightly less expensive along with Kerrville.
Helotes less expensive than Boerne? My, how the times have changed...

Old 06-22-2014, 12:52 AM

671 posts, read 687,554 times
I second BoerneMan's advice!

He's offered a lot of assistance to newbies along the past few years (including me!). Do a search of his posts, and you will glean a lot of info.
Also, try some searches on the places he's mentioned here on City-Data...you'll find more specifics. Good luck!
-DD

Old 06-22-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Helotes less expensive than Boerne? My, how the times have changed...
Yes, very much so. It has been that way for an extended period of time. Boerne/Fair Oaks Ranch now has among the highest income levels and net worth of the San Antonio metro area.

As an example, a quick search of realtor.com shows 87 properties over $1M in Boerne currently with only 5 for sale in Helotes. I would estimate at least that same number in Boerne currently under construction at that level. I'm not sure if there are more than a few at that level being built in Helotes. Above the $500k level, Boerne has 285 homes for sale while Helotes has 39. Again, Boerne is also seeing much more construction at this price level also.

Over the next couple years, Boerne will likely see the addition of over 1,000 homes over $500k.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 AM

671 posts, read 687,554 times
Default prices of houses

Wow, BoerneMan, interesting stats.

Are there any new neighborhoods or developments being planned (north of Fair Oaks Ranch) or built that you know of? (houses 350K++) If so, where?

So far, I'm just aware of planned communities like Waterstone, Cordillera, Stonegate, Menger, Tapatio Springs and Kendall Pointe.

Any others out there or being planned?

In my property search, I was mildly surprised to see that overall prices and price per sq. ft. at the Dominion have dropped. Many in my price range. Some were much more affordable than Fair Oaks, with stunning architectural details to boot! (however, I'm not interested in living there.) 'Just wondered why their prices were dropping so low.
thanks, DD

Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
Wow, BoerneMan, interesting stats.

Are there any new neighborhoods or developments being planned (north of Fair Oaks Ranch) or built that you know of? (houses 350K++) If so, where?

So far, I'm just aware of planned communities like Waterstone, Cordillera, Stonegate, Menger, Tapatio Springs and Kendall Pointe.

Any others out there or being planned?

In my property search, I was mildly surprised to see that overall prices and price per sq. ft. at the Dominion have dropped. Many in my price range. Some were much more affordable than Fair Oaks, with stunning architectural details to boot! (however, I'm not interested in living there.) 'Just wondered why their prices were dropping so low.
thanks, DD
I'll let one of the real estate agent's here on CD explain the Dominion better than I can. My experience there is that there is a pretty wide gap in the interior quality of the homes that were built in the 1980's through mid-90's versus the ones built over the past 15 years and especially those built in the past five years. The newer properties (except the Toll Brothers product) tend to be very high end with artisan quality details.

As for Boerne, you didn't mention Stone Creek Ranch or Deer Meadow Estates, but both are great custom home communities in Fair Oaks. Deer Meadow is fully developed, but Stone Creek Ranch will add approximately 100 lots in the next 6-12 months. Menger Springs is opening up its last 20+ lots. Cordillera has the most available land for development and can add hundreds of additional lots ultimately. Also, the Bristow of Upper Balcones has available lots near Menger Springs.

Most of the other new neighborhoods that have either recently opened or are under construction are production homes from national or regional builders. Most of the new production neighborhoods have prices from the $400's to $600's with a couple that may have some homes in the $300's. Examples are Front Gate (open), Setterfeld Estates (open), Balcones Creek (open), Woods of Boerne (open), Esperanza (under construction - eventually over 2,000 lots), Ranch at Cibolo Creek (I think this is the name - just east of Herff Ranch - under construction, 800+ lots), Champion Heights (under construction), and the Miller tract (west of I-10 from the new Nissan dealership to Menger Springs, soon to start construction, 1,100 lots). There are several other smaller developments with 30-100 lots each.

So, yes, there are many new neighborhoods with options over $350k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio