Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM

39 posts, read 91,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
......a few pictures would confirm it for me.

I did take pictures and the reason I don't post them is because I took them with my iPhone 3G which I was using as a backup at that time and those early phones don't have flash. The pictures are really hard to tell what I'm looking at so I was not able to get some good shots due to that circumstance. Sorry if you chose not to believe me, that's your choice. I'd definitely like to post pics had I had a phone with a flash, which I didn't. Perhaps someone would like to head out to Brooke's City Base and discover another bunker and post pics to confirm this guy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I've explored most of old Brooks field. There are many mysterious buildings and sites. Tunnels ....? I doubt it. Certainly possible though. Fallout shelters ...wouldn't surprise me. I have a great many pictures I may post later. I found the Centrifuge but was not allowed access. Chased up a jack rabbit last time out there. Looks like Chernobyl but many things are going on.
It's just a dead place and the bunker I was in seemed to be a fallout shelter considering how thick the compound was and how I could not get a signal with my phone. I'm sure the walls were at least 6ft thick if not thicker. I also think there are tunnels that connected these shelters. They had to be as there had to be access to different areas in the case of a bombing during the cold war era. That's just my assumption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:42 PM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_ View Post

I did take pictures and the reason I don't post them is because I took them with my iPhone 3G

..........right. you did take pictures but you don't post them because you took them with your iPhone

Old 09-27-2012, 09:14 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,137,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks_ View Post
I did take pictures and the reason I don't post them is because I took them with my iPhone 3G which I was using as a backup at that time and those early phones don't have flash. The pictures are really hard to tell what I'm looking at so I was not able to get some good shots due to that circumstance. Sorry if you chose not to believe me, that's your choice. I'd definitely like to post pics had I had a phone with a flash, which I didn't. Perhaps someone would like to head out to Brooke's City Base and discover another bunker and post pics to confirm this guy??
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
..........right. you did take pictures but you don't post them because you took them with your iPhone
Wait, whut? You had protective goggles & rubber gloves in your car, but took a camera phone with no flash???

Old 09-27-2012, 12:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
BTW, that was a golf course and also picnic areas across the front of Brooks Field. It's Brooks and not Brookes .... Named after Sydney A Brooks
There are tunnels for the creek which runs through Brooks from north of Military Drive.
Google Maps

Google Maps

There are at least a couple places such as this....

Google Maps

Obviously made for trucks to load or unload cargo.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,452 times
Quote:
Those two bolded phrases are in conflict. I have no doubt it was a creepy place to work. Tunnels? Maybe so! To best of my knowledge the hospital dates back to 1892.
Too long ago, I couldn't remember if it was 1872 or 92, you're right, '72 sounds too early.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:10 PM

4,132 posts, read 7,193,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
Wait, whut? You had protective goggles & rubber gloves in your car, but took a camera phone with no flash???
Short and to the point......

Old 10-01-2012, 11:09 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,810,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapulin1016 View Post
Too long ago, I couldn't remember if it was 1872 or 92, you're right, '72 sounds too early.
I once knew the daughter of the groundskeeper (mid 60's). They lived across the street (S.Presa) from the hospital. I looked up the dates again. But, I'd remembered from reading a couple years or so ago it was nearer to the end of 1800's.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:26 AM

847 posts, read 2,231,404 times
Quote:
I once knew the daughter of the groundskeeper (mid 60's). They lived across the street (S.Presa) from the hospital. I looked up the dates again. But, I'd remembered from reading a couple years or so ago it was nearer to the end of 1800's.
appears to be 1892.......................
The Texas Department of State Health Services - San Antonio State Hospital
also mentioned here (under A Brief History)
Hot Wells

Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 8,072 times
Default cave on cave lane

The cave on Cave Lane and Nacogodoches is called the Robber Baron Cave and is now permanently closed but you can go there now and walk around, picnic on the picnic tables and read about the cave. It is free and open to the public.
My next door neighbor who was in her 50s in 1960, told me how when she was young you could go in it and that it was lit up (lights were installed in the 20s) and there was even a skeleton in one of the rooms. (There is a picture of this on the net.) There was a refreshment stand (pic available) but due to the depression it was not profitable to keep it open.
Anyways the cave is there and has been for many years. Do a search for the Robber Baron Cave, San Antonio, TX for more info.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:51 PM

263 posts, read 480,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrklady View Post
The cave on Cave Lane and Nacogodoches is called the Robber Baron Cave and is now permanently closed but you can go there now and walk around, picnic on the picnic tables and read about the cave. It is free and open to the public.
My next door neighbor who was in her 50s in 1960, told me how when she was young you could go in it and that it was lit up (lights were installed in the 20s) and there was even a skeleton in one of the rooms. (There is a picture of this on the net.) There was a refreshment stand (pic available) but due to the depression it was not profitable to keep it open.
Anyways the cave is there and has been for many years. Do a search for the Robber Baron Cave, San Antonio, TX for more info.
Thanks for the info.I see it all the time when I drive by cause I live in the area.Thanks again. A.Soliz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio