Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 5,825 times

Advertisements

I had the immense pleasure of marching in the parade last night. There were so many happy, joyful, and good people down there.

It's important for us to realize why there is even a pride celebration in the first place. In June of 1969, New York City police officers raided a bar called the "Stonewall Inn."

However, this wasn't just an ordinary raid. This was a raid specifically targeted against the LGBT community. Back then, it was taboo to be an LGBT individual and it was very rare for a person to be open about their sexuality.

Almost every time the police raided these bars, nothing happened, but that night was different. LGBT individuals fought back against the police and more than 1,000 people protested for three days.

The next year, the very first LGBT pride celebration (in the country) occurred in New York to mark the anniversary of the bar raid and to advocate for LGBT rights and equality; this is why we have LGBT celebrations across the country today.

It's a reminder of how far we have come, what we have accomplished thus far, and it reminds us how much more work there is to be done until full equality is actualized for all LGBT individuals.

To stand in solidarity with my LGBT brothers and sisters and to show support for inclusiveness and equality, I have decided to wear my "equality" shirt everyday (or some variation of an equality shirt) for the rest of my life (I do order a "newer" every once in awhile so it's not like I'll be wearing the exact same one forever).

I have worn my equality shirt all the time when I'm downtown, at Northstar Mall, thriftstores, HEB and anywhere else you can imagine. If you'd like to see pictures of me wearing it, I have attached pictures to this post.

To conclude: I wanted to share a video by Maria Aragon. I was recently browsing on YouTube and I ran across her singing "Born This Way," by Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga's outfits and music videos make me cringe at times, but there is no denying how extremely supportive she has been to the LGBT community.

Maria Aragon's video has racked up over 57 million hits. Please watch the video it's really great.

Thank you and God Bless!

Attached Thumbnails
LGBT Pride Celebration in San Antonio (June 2014)-laptop.jpg   LGBT Pride Celebration in San Antonio (June 2014)-hand-pocket.jpg   LGBT Pride Celebration in San Antonio (June 2014)-looking-down.jpg   LGBT Pride Celebration in San Antonio (June 2014)-standing.jpg   LGBT Pride Celebration in San Antonio (June 2014)-smile.jpg  

Old 07-06-2014, 09:04 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,266,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeneramirezjr View Post
I had the immense pleasure of marching in the parade last night. There were so many happy, joyful, and good people down there.

It's important for us to realize why there is even a pride celebration in the first place. In June of 1969, New York City police officers raided a bar called the "Stonewall Inn."

However, this wasn't just an ordinary raid. This was a raid specifically targeted against the LGBT community. Back then, it was taboo to be an LGBT individual and it was very rare for a person to be open about their sexuality.

Almost every time the police raided these bars, nothing happened, but that night was different. LGBT individuals fought back against the police and more than 1,000 people protested for three days.

The next year, the very first LGBT pride celebration (in the country) occurred in New York to mark the anniversary of the bar raid and to advocate for LGBT rights and equality; this is why we have LGBT celebrations across the country today.

It's a reminder of how far we have come, what we have accomplished thus far, and it reminds us how much more work there is to be done until full equality is actualized for all LGBT individuals.

To stand in solidarity with my LGBT brothers and sisters and to show support for inclusiveness and equality, I have decided to wear my "equality" shirt everyday (or some variation of an equality shirt) for the rest of my life (I do order a "newer" every once in awhile so it's not like I'll be wearing the exact same one forever).

I have worn my equality shirt all the time when I'm downtown, at Northstar Mall, thriftstores, HEB and anywhere else you can imagine. If you'd like to see pictures of me wearing it, I have attached pictures to this post.

To conclude: I wanted to share a video by Maria Aragon. I was recently browsing on YouTube and I ran across her singing "Born This Way," by Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga's outfits and music videos make me cringe at times, but there is no denying how extremely supportive she has been to the LGBT community.

Maria Aragon's video has racked up over 57 million hits. Please watch the video it's really great.

Thank you and God Bless!

Excellent. San Antonio is getting better in that regard, though. The old guard is slowly dying off. I would have to say this is one area where today's youth has it all over those of us in Gen X and beyond. Hopefully this thread won't be shut down due to ignorant posters.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:15 PM

344 posts, read 417,324 times
You only have 1 post and your profile doesn't indicate an age but your pics make you look like a young man. I am very happy you can be a young man in the world at this time. The last 10 years have seen this issue evolve at warp speed in the national debate. We owe a lot to our brothers and sisters that came before us and said it loud and said it proud. Thanks for wearing the shirt. That is your candle to making the world a brighter place.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:11 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,015,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
You only have 1 post and your profile doesn't indicate an age but your pics make you look like a young man. I am very happy you can be a young man in the world at this time. The last 10 years have seen this issue evolve at warp speed in the national debate. We owe a lot to our brothers and sisters that came before us and said it loud and said it proud. Thanks for wearing the shirt. That is your candle to making the world a brighter place.
That's right. I'm not sure if young gay people realize how rough the previous generations had it. Nobody would have ever dreamed that we'd be talking about marriage equality-ever. When they started this gay celebration several years ago, there were protesters in front of the HEB at 281 & 1604 who didn't like that HEB donated a piddly $300 in picnic merchandise to them. This guy obviously "gets it".

Old 07-06-2014, 03:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,990,495 times
S.A.
Has come a long way.
glad you were able to be yourself and have a safe celebration.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:50 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,420,139 times
Nothing like a Gay Pride Parade to celebrate the moral decay of America! Hip, hip, hooray!

http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/04/12/66.../5/622x350.jpg

http://saraforamerica.files.wordpres.../gaypride5.jpg

http://saraforamerica.files.wordpres.../gaypride3.jpg

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/13/77/17.../3/622x350.jpg

Be gay, whatever. It's your life. But don't expect me to explain these kind of antics as normal to my children, or as any type of "Civil Rights" movement, because that's a joke. Be my gay neighbor and mow your lawn and be a nice, morally upstanding guy/girl, and I'll be happy to tell my kid you're the nice neighbor next door. Just like all my other neighbors. What you do in your bedroom is your business. Don't try to get it in mine, thanks.

Last edited by elnina; 07-06-2014 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-06-2014, 04:57 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,445,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Nothing like a Gay Pride Parade to celebrate the moral decay of America! Hip, hip, hooray!

Be gay, whatever. It's your life. But don't expect me to explain these kind of antics as normal to my children, or as any type of "Civil Rights" movement, because that's a joke. Be my gay neighbor and mow your lawn and be a nice, morally upstanding guy/girl, and I'll be happy to tell my kid you're the nice neighbor next door. Just like all my other neighbors. What you do in your bedroom is your business. Don't try to get it in mine, thanks.
YAY congrats on raising the next generation of bigots. What is moral to you may not be to the next person. Pushing for equal rights under the law is a CIVIL rights issue.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,420,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
YAY congrats on raising the next generation of bigots. What is moral to you may not be to the next person. Pushing for equal rights under the law is a CIVIL rights issue.
There is nothing "prideful" about this kind of celebration. That's my point. You obviously don't know the difference between pride and decadence, so how would I expect you to know the definition of a bigot?

Do you think I could take my children to an event like this? I've been to Gay Pride parades, he*ll, I was IN one in Houston years ago. The answer is a resounding NO, and people who do are idiots if they think it's some sort of family-friendly event. You're celebrating the sexual choices of someone. You want to be proud of being gay? Fine, be proud! Why do you have to do it naked or in your underwear?

Many well-known business owners tell college graduates to dress the part they wish to eventually have.

A lesson could be learned here. Compromise goes a long way. That's not bigotry, smuboy. Wake up, grow up. It's reality.

But again, that's never been what it's about. Special treatment, not equal treatment.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:15 PM

344 posts, read 417,324 times
Thanks for the pictures! And for showing there is still a long way to go.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:21 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Pictures are from 2012 NY City Gay Pride Parade and are copyrighted. To view please click on the link (or hover over)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio