Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,382 times

Advertisements

we are a newlywed couple we moved from indianapolis
we want to find fun places to go like hiking places, parks, shopping, bars...
is there any hiking place? or bike trail areas?
thanks in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Bike Trails
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

Hiking Trails
City of San Antonio | Official Web Site - Parks & Recreation Department

Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colette90 View Post
we are a newlywed couple we moved from indianapolis
we want to find fun places to go like hiking places, parks, shopping, bars...
is there any hiking place? or bike trail areas?
thanks in advance!!!!!
Welcome to San Antonio...welcome to Texas! My sister lives in Indy with her husband, it's a nice town.

Here in SA, there's Greenways for hiking and biking. Not sure what side of town you're on, but definitely check out the links Bo posted. There's so many awesome places to go hiking. Don't forget to add Lost Maples to your bucket list in November to see the maples turn and go hiking--it's a beautiful place.

Government Canyon is a great place to go exploring...and right here in SA!

Medina River, Guadalupe River, San Marcos River...all great...

Canyon Lake is nice, and hopefully, soon, we'll see Medina Lake full again but right now it's too low.

This town is full of fun places to eat, drink etc...check out the thread on "Restaurant You Last Ate At" and "New Restaurants Opening/Closing"...those are always informative.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
Consider visiting the McNay Art Museum on North New Braunfels.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Check out when and where all the festivals, fairs, concerts are held.
This city knows how to throw a party!!!
Hill country venues, caverns, new braunfels is not far, sea world.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:43 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
San Antonio. The Saga is amazing and a must see by everyone. It is spectacular! We took Uber to main plaza.

Main Plaza

Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 PM

702 posts, read 726,810 times
Go to the Alamo Drafthouse.

Go to La Gloria at the Pearl and walk down the river through the museum reach section. It's nice.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
OMG! So much it is not unreal going on in SA.....check out the MYSA.COM calendar of events for all kinds of things going on in the city! Also, we bought a book called "Day trips from SA" that you might want to consider!

Day Trips from San Antonio: Getaways Less Than Two Hours Away (Day Trips Series): Paris Permenter, John Bigley: 9780762705429: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM

206 posts, read 464,658 times
Yes, Go to the Drafthouse! Especially for their special events. They've got Quote-Alongs for your favorite movies, Sing-Alongs for musicals or just random 90's or 80's videos, they do Rocky Horror, and have pancake breakfasts. Who wouldn't want to catch a noonish viewing of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure? The Drafthouse has spoiled me for any other theater.
San Antonio | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

Here are some other links to the going's on around here. You've got to watch some live music (and I don't mean spend your life savings on whatever comes through the AT&T center...not that there's anything wrong with that) listen to the San Antonio Symphony (STAR WARS is coming back May 2015!!!) and visit the San Antonio Missions. And go to some Spurs Games (or watch parties), go to Schlitterbahn, and check out Natural Bridge Caverns. If you're into sports you can join a rec league with Parks and Rec.

SA Current Music Page

Pollstar Concerts

The Cove's Live Music Schedule

Sam's Burger Joint Music Schedule

Floores Music Schedule

SA Symphony Schedule 2014 - 2015

The Majestic and Empire Theatres

San Antonio Missions National Parks

Schlitterbahn

Natural Bridge Caverns

Parks and Rec

These are just my favorite haunts, so YMMV.

There are lots of foodies here, and lots of craft beer as well. I'll let the foodies do their thing, but some places to get some good Texas beer are:

Big Hops

The Cove

Freetail Brewing Company

Ranger Creek

Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM

48 posts, read 62,522 times
At the risk of being accused of self-promoting, I did just write an article in my blog about some of the "highlights":

Things to do in San Antonio, Texas | My Real Estate San Antonio

I need to add on Bars and Restaurants. If you guys don't mind, I'm going to add some of the recommendations in posts above

I'd also recommend checking out a calendar of events... there's ALWAYS something going on:

Visit San Antonio, Texas | Explore San Antonio things to Do, Attractions, Events, River Walk & More
San Antonio Events & Entertainment in San Antonio - mySanAntonio.com
SA Events Calendar On-line - San Antonio Events
San Antonio Current | Events Calendar, Restaurants, Clubs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio