Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 AM

10 posts, read 21,652 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Texas in 15 years - but will be visiting again soon. Part of me is considering a move to S.A. in 2011. It depends on many things, including this upcoming trip. But, I am wanting to know more about how to actually go about this - from anyone who has moved there from Overseas. I also want to hear more about the Good & Bad points of moving to S.A. from anyone who lives there - It would be a huge thing to do - so I can't make my decision lightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,825,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireisabel View Post
I haven't been to Texas in 15 years - but will be visiting again soon. Part of me is considering a move to S.A. in 2011. It depends on many things, including this upcoming trip. But, I am wanting to know more about how to actually go about this - from anyone who has moved there from Overseas. I also want to hear more about the Good & Bad points of moving to S.A. from anyone who lives there - It would be a huge thing to do - so I can't make my decision lightly.
Here is a huge thread that is full of information. Take your time and read through. Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Do you speak Spanish?

Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Can't help with moving issues because I've always been here!

Hopefully members here can answer any specific questions. Have a great upcoming visit!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 AM

Thank you for the replies. I will check that thread out.
I know a little Spanish - but learning Spanish has always been on my To-do list for a long time regardless.

Herbrocks - I've googled about moving to S.A. & read mainly negative remarks around the net. That is why I came to this forum - I thought I might find some people who are more positive towards S.A. What can you tell me about San Antonio from your personal opinion? I would also like to hear about the positives & negatives of S.A. from people who have always lived there.
I cannot wait to finally come back & be on Texas Soil again soon.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:37 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Your zip code is 78102 in Australia? What's that about?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:44 AM

lol - oh in my Profile? That is my "honorary" Zip code! I lived there in 1994 as an Exchange Student. I consider that will always be a 2nd home to me!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM

Amazing that the Exchange program even found Beeville on the map! Glad you enjoyed your stay there....SA is a bit larger with much more shopping, dining, and houses. Many people will probably try to steer you towards Austin, since you're young and single. I won't....I think SA would be fast-paced enough for you after enjoying what Beeville has to offer. Good luck on your trip and keep us posted on the potential move!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,094,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claireisabel View Post
Thank you for the replies. I will check that thread out.
I know a little Spanish - but learning Spanish has always been on my To-do list for a long time regardless.

Herbrocks - I've googled about moving to S.A. & read mainly negative remarks around the net. That is why I came to this forum - I thought I might find some people who are more positive towards S.A. What can you tell me about San Antonio from your personal opinion? I would also like to hear about the positives & negatives of S.A. from people who have always lived there.
I cannot wait to finally come back & be on Texas Soil again soon.

All I can say on a general basis is some people's negatives about the city are positives for others, and the other way around too. I do think many people agree there is "something", not easily defined, that keeps people here and brings others back. Spend much time here and you will be "infected" too!

As for Spanish, I don't know why FCF feels the need to include that in EVERY SINGLE POST, but you don't need to know Spanish to live here, unless you plan to work in a kitchen at a Mexican restaurant. However, if you like languages, it would certainly enrich your Texas experience.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM

Sapphire - lol - well it was actually an Unofficial Exchange that was between my penfriend & I. She came & stayed with me for a while in '92 & then I went to TX in '94. Because her Mom was a Teacher, She arranged that I was able to attend School there. I LOVED SA - I visited many times. It was also the Airport that I arrived & left from. I am NOT that young. lol. Trust me, I prefer SA over Austin. Noone will manage to sway me on that. I visited all over Tx & SA was the city I liked most out of all the Major Cities. I am surprised you know about Beeville - do you know people there?

Herbrocks - I know that it infected me back in 1994. But I still can't put my finger exactly on why I liked it so much. I am currently finishing off Post Graduate Studies in Teaching English to ESL Students, so I guess Spanish would be a help if I want work in that field. I am glad to hear that you can survive without knowing it fluently though.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Well, Beeville is really not THAT far from SA. I used to travel to every nook and cranny of South Texas for a job I had once......Beeville was actually a roaring metropolis compared to places like Tow (sounds like cow) and our very own San Diego (smells like cow).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio