Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 11:26 AM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times

Advertisements

I work p/t and really set my own schedule... basically I'm a stay at home mom. Now that my little girl is 3 months old, I'm getting much braver and would like to do more things with her.
We went to Baby Time at the public library this morning. It was a lot of fun and I think we'll try and go once a week. I have also done the Mommy & Me Yoga at Destination Maternity, however, it sorta interferes with my work schedule. I'm going to try a Stroller Strides class and a Gymboree Class... but Gymboree is expensive... we might join when dd is older and would get more out of it.

What else is there to do around town with a baby? Once she's a toddler, it will be much easier, I know.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 01:21 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Hi Lauren! Look at alamomama.com. It's a great site and will give you info on stuff for moms and kids around town. Also, have you thought of joining a playgroup or moms group? I'm in a group called MOMS club and I love it! There's also MOPS. Even though she is young, at least it would get you out and about with other moms and her around other babies/kids. The libraries have programs, I know some moms join groups at meetup.com, there's also kindermusik that starts with newborn and up. Also, if you look at mommyandme.com sometimes they will give some events and things to do. That's all that I can think of right now. Hope it helps a little!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
hey lauren --- i did stroller strides with my son for about 5months --- i liked it alot and it was a really good workout --- you really feel it on those hills while your pushing the stroller, especially when the kiddos starting putting on weight...

the only reason i stopped was because i thought it was a little pricey for only 3x a week ... and at the time i was going they did not have a backup plan for rainy days or really cold days...so on those days you just had no class, even though you had paid for them... --- my son is now 2yrs 9months so alot could have changed by now, but i did enjoy the class itself...after the walking excercise you have a stretching time with your baby...i used to always pull my son out of his stroller and involve him as much as i could i the stretches...put him on my tummy or on my legs...but not many people did this ... my son loved it though...

there is another stroller walking type class that meets in brack and is a little cheaper...i don't know much about this class but i do know it was bigger and met more frequently...

hope this info helps...

Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times
Try a playgroup from Meetup.com - if you are also looking for some adult interaction!

Storytimes at the library or bookstores are all great. The Zoo also offers classes in their education center (called Buggy Babies I think) every now and then. Just going to the zoo is a great thing to do, my kids have loved it since they were very little.

I actually think it's easier with a baby! They can still stay in the stroller or car seat or a sling while you can talk to other adults or enjoy the event yourself. Once they are a toddler you have to chase them everywhere!

Old 07-15-2014, 11:24 AM

13 posts, read 31,705 times
Default More mommy and me activities (some free)

I'm so sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I thought an update would help some of us moms out there!

San Antonio Parks & Recreation has a free program called Fitness in the Parks, throughout the city. Completely free. Through them, you can take Stroller Strides on Tuesdays for free at the Phil Hardberger location only. There is one Saturday per month which is also free. Additionally, through Fitness in the Parks, there are also mommy and me classes at McAllister Park and at their headquarters. Lastly, some family classes where the entire family can join (yoga, etc.).

A fee-based class called Little Gym touts that it helps babies and children to reach their milestones. 4 months and up. You can try a free trial class. I did this, but there was only one instructor for something like 25 babies in the room and their caregivers. It was a little to daunting for me, because some of the moves were advanced for a first-timer who needed a lot of assistance.

I love the free Baby Time class at various San Antonio Public Library locations, offered once a week. The morning time is very popular, so you should really try to register the last Friday before the next month of class online. Registration starts at 10 a.m. that day. The afternoon class, which is around 1, does not require registration but if it's full, will require a standby. You just need to get there 15 minutes prior, if standby. During the summer, enroll your entire family (baby included) in the reading program. The Listeners, aka babies who can't actually read, get their pick of a free book. The Adults, aka Mom and Dad, get a voucher to get a book from the library's booktique. There are some old books in there and some children's books.

Then, there are free admission days at the museums and one of them has a mommy and me day (admission required, though).

Twig Bookstore and Barnes & Noble also have free reading activities.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:52 AM

13 posts, read 31,705 times
Default More mommy and me activities (some free)

I submitted the post too fast! Stroller Strides now has a back-up plan for inclement weather. They actually meet at North Star Mall during those days. It is not recommended that you use your umbrella stroller for this class. And, if you have one, bring a yoga or exercise mat, too. They supply the resistance bands. It's a great workout that's free if you do it via the Fitness in the Parks program. The rest of the week, do a DVD once baby is asleep or meet up with a fellow mom in her neighborhood or yours, for a stroll.

Another parent-child activity that is fee-based is a swim class. Aqua Tots, San Antonio Swim Academy (Gold's Gym) and Jewish Community Center (non-members, too) offer it, among others. Even some HOAs offer it at their community pool. I would definitely inquire about the teacher-child ratio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio