Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 11:23 AM

56 posts, read 68,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What are you exactly asking? Having a College of Education does not mean that a college offers education as a major at the baccalaureate level. Because I'm typing on my phone, it's not easy for me to post a link, but TEA says that Texas universities do not offer bachelors degrees in education. I challenge you to find one bachelors program at a public university in Texas that has a major in education and leads to certification. A search on the College for Texans website comes up with zero results.
Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate. I put "minor in education" because I didn't want to type out teacher certification again, LOL. I thought it would be understood what I was referencing. Both of you are correct though, you don't actually major in "education", but universities do have "college of education" which covers the whole department and you major in your field of study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
Are you bilingual? As you know, San Antonio is/was majority Hispanic and a lot of people (kids as well) speak Spanish here. Being bilingual definitely helped my wife. Are you prepared to sub for a year or more? Tutor?
My wife subbed and tutored (Spanish) for 2 years before she was hired FT. Elementary level.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:46 AM

I am not bilingual and I took French in high school. I know, I know, probably not the best idea considering where I live, but I wasn't planning on staying either. I want to start applying for subbing jobs when I complete my associates next spring and I've already looked into tutoring opportunities. I still have a day job that's very flexible (family company) so I should be able to handle it financially if the initial start is slow.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:47 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
What do you think people learn who get a Bachelor of Science in Education? They don't "major" in education. Just like someone doesn't "major" in just engineering or business. Those are all much too broad of a term for today. But, ones major will be Interdisciplinary Studies, Health, Kinesiology, Infancy and Childhood Studies, Youth and Community Studies, etc. All of these majors directly relate to education and teaching, and you will take a ton of classes to help prepare you as an educator. All these majors lead to certification if you choose to get certified the traditional route while still in school. Are you being dense on purpose?
You're the one being dense. People do major in business administration and electrical engineering. I majored in social science which is very broad like interdisciplinary studies or multidisciplinary studies. Multidisciplinary studies is even broader than education. All I said is that there are no bachelor's degrees in education at public universities in Texas, and you had to question that for some reason. The statement is true. If you know there are no bachelor's degrees in education, then why would you question my statement? That makes absolutely no sense. You either major in something specific like mathematics or history, or you major in something broader like interdisciplinary studies or multidisciplinary studies and choose the certification track. Interdisciplinary studies is popular for aspiring elementary teachers and a more focused major like chemistry is preferred for secondary education. Yes, you can become certified the traditional way while majoring in something specific.
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics With Teacher Certification: Degrees and Majors: College of Arts and Sciences: Texas A&M University-San Antonio

Do you notice how that is not a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art in Education? Texas only offers teacher certification tracks, not BS or BA degrees in education.

There are bachelor's degrees in education in other states. People who are not from Texas, and sometimes people who are, are often confused by the fact that Texas does not offer bachelor's degrees in education because other states do. That is why I wanted to make it clear that one cannot major in education. In other states, you can major in education, special education, elementary education, career and technical education, or secondary education. You specialize if you want by choosing a minor/concentration/emphasis in history, math, physics, language arts, etc.
Elementary Education, B.S. Ed. @ UNM College of Education
Elementary Teaching Degree - Bachelor Degree Elementary Education, Elementary Education Degree, College Degree Elementary Education
Early Care and Education
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with (ESOL) (Florida State-Approved for Certification) | Fischler School
EWU | Bachelor of Arts in Education

Last edited by L210; 07-17-2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 01:18 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny82 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to start a debate. I put "minor in education" because I didn't want to type out teacher certification again, LOL. I thought it would be understood what I was referencing. Both of you are correct though, you don't actually major in "education", but universities do have "college of education" which covers the whole department and you major in your field of study.
You were clear to me. I know how to make an inference.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
You were clear to me. I know how to make an inference.
You obviously don't know what it means to say "there are no majors in education." That statement is clear as day. No inference is needed. Anyway, since I regularly participate in the education forum where people live in states where there ARE majors in education, I don't make inferences that can lead to mistakes.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
You're the one being dense. People do major in business administration and electrical engineering. I majored in social science which is very broad like interdisciplinary studies or multidisciplinary studies. Multidisciplinary studies is even broader than education. All I said is that there are no bachelor's degrees in education at public universities in Texas, and you had to question that for some reason. The statement is true. If you know there are no bachelor's degrees in education, then why would you question my statement? That makes absolutely no sense. You either major in something specific like mathematics or history, or you major in something broader like interdisciplinary studies or multidisciplinary studies and choose the certification track. Interdisciplinary studies is popular for aspiring elementary teachers and a more focused major like chemistry is preferred for secondary education. Yes, you can become certified the traditional way while majoring in something specific.
Bachelor of Science in Mathematics With Teacher Certification: Degrees and Majors: College of Arts and Sciences: Texas A&M University-San Antonio

Do you notice how that is not a Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Art in Education? Texas only offers teacher certification tracks, not BS or BA degrees in education.

There are bachelor's degrees in education in other states. People who are not from Texas, and sometimes people who are, are often confused by the fact that Texas does not offer bachelor's degrees in education because other states do. That is why I wanted to make it clear that one cannot major in education. In other states, you can major in education, special education, elementary education, career and technical education, or secondary education. You specialize if you want by choosing a minor/concentration/emphasis in history, math, physics, language arts, etc.
Elementary Education, B.S. Ed. @ UNM College of Education
Elementary Teaching Degree - Bachelor Degree Elementary Education, Elementary Education Degree, College Degree Elementary Education
Early Care and Education
Bachelor of Science in Elementary Education with (ESOL) (Florida State-Approved for Certification) | Fischler School
EWU | Bachelor of Arts in Education
UGH! Forget it. I guess you don't know how make inferences. If you graduate from a college of education, your diploma will read Bachelor of Science in Education. Obviously you will major in one of the programs offered under that school. Way to nitpick.

I'm done hijacking the thread. A mod can delete all our nonsense.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
UGH! Forget it. I guess you don't know how make inferences. If you graduate from a college of education, your diploma will read Bachelor of Science in Education. Obviously you will major in one of the programs offered under that school. Way to nitpick.
You're the one who is nitpicking in an illogical manner, and I guess you don't know how to comprehend straightforward statments. My original statement was "no public school in Texas offers education as a major at the baccalaureate level." You came back with a statement talking about College of Education which made no sense in reference to what you were responding to. I never said that public schools in Texas don't have a College of Education. Why start an argument over a true statement?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
You obviously don't know what it means to say "there are no majors in education." That statement is clear as day. No inference is needed. Anyway, since I regularly participate in the education forum where people live in states where there ARE majors in education, I don't make inferences that can lead to mistakes.
Actually, one could infer from that statement that Texas colleges offer no majors in any education studies.......but they do, it's just not called "education"; it's a specific field of study. I was able to understand what you actually meant though and corrected myself. Thank you for enlightening us on the proper terminology in your obvious superior knowledge of education.

Back on track now? What about teaching at the college level? I know you need a Masters or Ph.D and I imagine they want you to have classroom experience already, right?

Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You really need to know a principal or someone in HR OP. I'm an elementary teacher and a lot of new teachers have a masters degree now. In many states now you need a masters degree to become a teacher. You will be going up against new grads from UT Austin, A&M, etc. A lot of rural and urban districts are hard to get teaching jobs at now because they hire a lot of Teach For America people. Like Irish said, look at special ed, bilingual, and ESL. There isn't even a shortage of high school math and science teachers anymore.

You might be better off becoming a copy writer/editor and working for yourself.
NEISD says they have a shortage of math and science teachers.

Quote:
NEISD will only consider ACP teacher candidates* for the following “critical needs” shortage areas to complete field experience/clinical teaching requirements.

Math
Science
Special Education
Languages Other than English
Bilingual/English as a Second Language (All Level)
Technology Applications
Computer Science
Health Science Technology
Family Consumer Science Education
Technology Education
Deaf Hard of Hearing
North East Independent School District

It looks like NISD still has a shortage if they're willing to accept ACP candidates in math and science and not in other areas like English and social studies.
Quote:
Northside will consider for hire persons who successfully complete program requirements in alternative certification programs (ACP) ONLY in the following areas: Special Education, Bilingual Education, Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education.
Jobs | Northside ISD Human Resources
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio