Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:44 AM

72 posts, read 214,306 times

Advertisements

I suggest Mission Ranch apartments on Babcock and Huebner. It's gated. It's two blocks from the Medical Center and close to the freeway. I just moved in a month ago. I had to reserve it 3 months in advance. That's how in demand they are. I was referred by a female co-worker. She had nothing but good to say about this apartment complex. And she was right. I pay $879 for a one bed room 792 sq feet. I know that is expensive for San Antonio. But the price is one of the things that attracted me.

You see price and cost is a barrier that weeds out ghetto trash. Just take a look at the customers that shop at Target vs. Walmart. My theory was correct. It is safe and quiet here. No thugs loitering in the parking lot late at night. It is a pet friendly apartment so you will see people walking their dogs in the wee hours in the morning. Everyone is respectful and courteous and honors the quiet hours after 10 p.m. At least in my building that is. It is also diverse. There are a lot of nurses and some military that live here. I know medical workers get a $25 dollar discount per month on rent for a year and maybe UTSA students do too.

All my neighbors are Mexican and they are polite, quiet, and respectful. The one's that do have kids the parents keep them in check. They are not running around outside where you can hear them. Everyone picks up after themselves. There isn't litter on the ground. Throw out the stereotypes when it comes to other races when you live here. Here is why.

If someone is paying $879 and up for an apartment in San Antonio it tells you two things about them:

1. They have a good paying job to be able to afford the high rent. If they have a good paying job that means they earned it through school or working their way up in their company. So you know they are decent people. They have to have manners and people skills if they got their good paying job through an interview or through promotion.

2. They are willing to pay high rent to get away from Section 8 ghetto trash so they must not be Section 8 ghetto trash themselves. (You're monthly gross income has to be at least 3 times the monthly rent amount in order to qualify for these apartments. They check pay stubs before they finalize the application)

Black, white, or purple you know they are not ghetto trash if they can afford high rent. I lived in some ghetto apartments during college because it was all I could afford so I know all about Section 8 neighbors. The worst neighbors you can have!

Management is awesome. Maintenance responds in a timely manner. There is a dive bar (Vegas Bar) down the block. Right next to it is a Kwik Wash Laundromat that is open 24 hrs. There is also a HEB grocery store down the block. LA Fitness down the block and a 24 hr Gold's Gym in the Medical Center two blocks away. You can bike to these places.

There are a couple of people moving out so you better check them out now if you are in the area. An added bonus. It's pool season. Hotties at the pool side after 3 p.m.

Last edited by Shane505; 07-24-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane505 View Post

If someone is paying $879 and up for an apartment in San Antonio it tells you two things about them:
It tell's me they arnt very smart when it comes to money. That's more then my mortgage payment.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM

72 posts, read 214,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
It tell's me they arnt very smart when it comes to money. That's more then my mortgage payment.
Very true! I dated a girl that lived at the Can Plant at the Pearl. $1400 a month for an 800 sq ft. studio. Yeah the fancy restaurants were literally outside the apartment complex and the River Walk was only 800 feet away but still not worth it in my opinion. Her finances were a mess. She literally lived pay check to pay check. She made more money than me but it's not how much you make. It's how much you keep.

But I don't plan on staying in San Antonio for more than a year and a half. I'm sure everyone who pays a lot for rent doesn't plan on doing so for too long.

Last edited by Shane505; 07-24-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 12:40 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Not choosing to buy a home when you can afford one is a personal choice. It doesn't make one person bad over another. Maybe they are trying to decide what part of the city they want to live in (lots of posters suggest that to prospective San Antonians). Maybe based on where they want to live they can't find a home. I was looking in the Westover Hills area and found rent was about $800 something. You could rent a home in that area but it was well above the $800 for a home. Living within means is a good thing. Maybe the yard is too much to deal with. Maybe they don't want to deal with home repairs that pop up out of nowhere. Some people don't know what's available in terms of financing or working with a small down payment. Their credit may be fine but it's just a hassle to deal with. Others don't deal with credit period and use cash for everything.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:57 PM

658 posts, read 721,889 times
Quote:
I pay $879 for a one bed room 792 sq feet. I know that is expensive for San Antonio. But the price is one of the things that attracted me.

You see price and cost is a barrier that weeds out ghetto trash. Just take a look at the customers that shop at Target vs. Walmart.

Throw out the stereotypes when it comes to other races when you live here.

1. They have a good paying job to be able to afford the high rent. If they have a good paying job that means they earned it through school or working their way up in their company. So you know they are decent people. They have to have manners and people skills if they got their good paying job through an interview or through promotion.

2. They are willing to pay high rent to get away from Section 8 ghetto trash so they must not be Section 8 ghetto trash themselves. (You're monthly gross income has to be at least 3 times the monthly rent amount in order to qualify for these apartments. They check pay stubs before they finalize the application)

Black, white, or purple you know they are not ghetto trash if they can afford high rent.

It's pool season. Hotties at the pool side after 3 p.m.
I think this poster must be young. When you're young, you see things differently, especially when it comes to money. There's really no difference between who shops at Target and WalMart. People shop there. All kinds. Some people (me included), shop at BOTH (horror! How can you tell if I'm ghetto trash if I confuse everyone with my diverse shopping habits?)

OK let's talk about "decent people." I just read about Bernard Ebbers, the bigwig who plead guilty to fraud and conspiracy in an 11 billon dollar accounting scandal. He has a Bachelor's degree and had a good job but is considered by CNBC to be the "fifth-worst CEO in American history and TIMEnamed him the tenth most corrupt CEO of all time. So can we just stop assuming that people are "decent" based on going to school or working at a company? It means very little.

You're paying $1.10 per square foot. What you're doing is making your landlord rich.

Also not everyone on Section 8 is "ghetto trash." You're talking about people here. I read an article just today about a man who worked hard his whole life only to have an accident destroy his leg and he ended up in a shelter. Would you say he's "ghetto trash"? Some people have had homes and lost them due to circumstances beyond their control.

I'm in San Antonio ATM looking for an apartment and I'm looking for the cheap stuff not because I'm "ghetto trash" but because I am still paying a mortgage on my 3 bedroom house in a Canadian suburb, TYVM.

The whole stereotyping and strange desperation to be seen as "better" than others is appalling.

"you know they are not ghetto trash if they can afford high rent."

*sigh*

" It's pool season. Hotties at the pool side after 3 p.m. "

At least you've got your priorities straight!

Old 09-11-2014, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 3,619 times
Well said

Old 09-11-2014, 05:52 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Very true! I dated a girl that lived at the Can Plant at the Pearl. $1400 a month for an 800 sq ft. studio. Yeah the fancy restaurants were literally outside the apartment complex and the River Walk was only 800 feet away but still not worth it in my opinion. Her finances were a mess. She literally lived pay check to pay check. She made more money than me but it's not how much you make. It's how much you keep.
But it didn't need to be "worth it" to you. It was worth it *to her.* Now, if she couldn't actually afford that rent, then it's not a wise financial decision, but some people are willing to sacrifice in other areas of their life for location.

Yeah, I could get a house twice the size in the 'burbs for what my house is worth now (tho not what I paid for it), but then I wouldn't have everything I want (almost), including a great school for my kids, within a short walk, which is a priority for me.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,197 times
Looking for a two or three bedroom apartment in or near Medical Center, price range, we can afford $1500 a month. Has anyone here tried the Vintage and how was it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio