Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM

432 posts, read 518,876 times

Advertisements

I've not been able to find this valve on my house. Those on the water heaters are easy to find of course but I'm used to the main house shut off being external near a hose nib so that the house can be shut off and drained from the same place.

My next step is to investigate the SAWS meter and see if there is an underground shut off. Preferable one that does not require a special tool.

I have this fear of one of my plumbing projects going bad and leaking or spraying for a long time before I can find the shut off.

Any insight appreciated - thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM

4,497 posts, read 4,993,263 times
How about asking a neighbor where theirs is, most likely it will be in the same location. Just a thought.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:14 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,700,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post
I've not been able to find this valve on my house. Those on the water heaters are easy to find of course but I'm used to the main house shut off being external near a hose nib so that the house can be shut off and drained from the same place.

My next step is to investigate the SAWS meter and see if there is an underground shut off. Preferable one that does not require a special tool.

I have this fear of one of my plumbing projects going bad and leaking or spraying for a long time before I can find the shut off.

Mine is in the alley where the SAWS meter is. If your house doesn't have an alley, then I don't know where it is located.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:15 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,515,757 times
If you have a water softener (properly) installed, then code requires a water shutoff there. Both houses that we have has in San Antonio did NOT have an easily accessible water shutoff after the meter until we added a softener. There should be a shutoff before the meter, however, if nothing else.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM

923 posts, read 1,494,193 times
It is usually near the front curb, under a metal cover.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:39 PM

4,296 posts, read 7,160,879 times
The main water shutoff is usually located in a separate valve box in the ground, close to the water meter, on the customer side. Some houses don't have a customer shutoff, in those situations, you have to have a "Meter Key" ( a "T" handle, with a fitting on the other end, that is keyed to mate to the shutoff valve in the meter box). They sell meter keys at home improvement stores.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:42 PM

358 posts, read 573,324 times
It is probably wherever your water meter is. You will have a tough time shutting it off (especially if you are in a real hurry) without one of those long handled tools you can get at Home Depot. Don't get a cheap one as sometimes they will not work. If you ever need it you will be glad you spent the money for it.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 PM

432 posts, read 518,876 times
Thanks very much: All good advice (except for 'ask a neighbor' - the three I've asked had no idea...ha ha they think I'm nuts for asking such a weird question at our first meeting).

No water softener here (yet) but the pipe loop for it has no valve in it. I looked at two dozen houses before this one and this was the only one without a water softener. Got to educate myself on them.

I'll look at the underground water meter/valve this evening and go get a proper tool.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM

584 posts, read 1,187,564 times
Like others have said above ... I have a water softner and have a switch there. I also have a switch outside where the water comes to the house from SAWS which is in a box in the ground at the end of my driveway area. If you life that lid there should be a switch there.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,387,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve807 View Post

Likely at the meter. You can buy one of the tools at Home Depot for cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: