Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:46 PM

265 posts, read 1,188,109 times

Advertisements

As you may know from previous posts, I am looking for preschool in SA...one that offers 1/2 days, a couple times a week to get 3 & 4 year old kids acquainted to an organized classroom setting, while offering exposure to kindergarten concepts and "the laws of the jungle" (i.e. manners, hygiene, peer sharing, patience, respect for adults, etc).

In the Midwest, school districts offer this type of part-time program for around $1000 a year. Private/parochial also offer part-time preschool.

From what I am gathering in my research, San Antonio area public school districts only offer it if you meet certain risk factors (low income, etc.) The parochial schools only offer it full days, 5 days a week, mostly just for 4 year olds (not younger), for around $5000 a year and it's geared at working parents who need childcare. Anyone else is basically a daycare center, offering what they call "preschool" to parents who need a guilt-free way to unload their kid during the week. again, essentially childcare.

My Realtor tells me that only 10-20% of kids go to any kind of preschool before starting in San Antonio's full-day kindergarten at age 5. Most kids stay home with mom until that age.

But what about early childhood education, kindergarten prep & basic preschool instruction (letters, numbers, writing words, and the other "laws of the jungle" type lessons I mentioned earlier). I know these should all be modeled & taught at home but I'd like to see it reinforced outside of the home a couple times a week by a licensed EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATOR. Right now, my daughter is in a program in Michigan that meets twice weekly for 2 hours. I don't use it as daycare, I am often in class with her.

So I ask..Is there anything like this in San Antonio, or is it the general perception that only working moms send their kids to preschool because it is just a fancy name for daycare??? And do 80-90% of families really keep their kids home and out of a classroom until kindergarten?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,787,569 times
"""""""So I ask..Is there anything like this in San Antonio, or is it the general perception that only working moms send their kids to preschool because it is just a fancy name for daycare??? And do 80-90% of families really keep their kids home and out of a classroom until kindergarten?"""""""

I don't know the percentages, but almost all of the families we know that have small children, mom stays at home until at least Kindergarten. This includes our family. In fact, I left it up to my wife whether she wants to work even after kindergarten...her decision should be interesting.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 12-19-2007 at 10:03 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 01:50 AM

2 posts, read 12,460 times
Everyone I know - whether they work or not - send their children to the exact type of pre-school you are talking about. The school districts do not offer them, but there are many private/christian based churches that offer half day programs for 2-5 days a week. My son went to St. Thomas Episcopal and University United Methodist. Both are excellent programs.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 AM

1,532 posts, read 3,687,446 times
I am going to look at a pre-school today at a church. You can choose how often you send your child (it's open 5 days a week, but I'm going to send him 2). Of course the school day is from 9-2 and no, I don't feel guilty...even being a stay at home mom. I know that in that time frame, he is going to be socializing with other kids, listening to other adults, learning things that would be challenging for me to teach him, and I am going to get a much needed mama break. It isn't a day care because they have lesson plans and they actually work with the kids on numbers, letters, writing their name, etc. The cost is variable depending on what days we decide to send him (from $160 up). I came from Ohio where my son was attending a preschool program TWR from 9-11:30. I've tried to find something similar down here, and there just isn't a program designed like that. I didn't want my son to fall behind or not get socialized so I am starting to come around and feel more comfortable with how their pre-school runs down here. If you need any more information, please feel free to message me privately! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:11 AM

37 posts, read 191,745 times
There are many "preschools" to choose from in SA (not daycare). There are also a lot of Mother's Day Out programs in area churches that follow a curriculum and have a classroom protocal just like regular school. I sent my 4 year old to an MDO program which I highly recommend. It was 2 days a week from 9-2. They learned everything from recognizing/writing letters & numbers, writing their name, learning classroom etiquette, sharing, standing in line, etc. They also had music classes and special programs throughout the year. I do stay home with my daughter and I feel that this was more than adequate preperation for kindergarten. She has had no problem transitioning into a regular class setting this year. She was also far more advanced than some of the other kids in the class as well, and I do credit the preschool for that. You just have to look around town. Depending on the area of town you live in, I'm sure there are programs that fit your standard. Some that come to mind are University United Methodist (very popular), Acorn School in Alamo Heights, Community Bible Church, and Parkhills Baptist Church. There is also a program at Country Home. I know there are many more out there.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:38 AM

99 posts, read 393,363 times
My son goes to a preschool. We were able to choose from 1 to 5 days a week. It took getting used to though because in Florida, preschools were from 9-12. But here, he goes from 9-2:30.

Anyway, he is in it 3 days a week. I will tell you what, though. I don't work and I mainly put him in preschool for the socialization.

Remember when we were kids and we'd be outside all day with friends? I remember at age 4 being told by my mom to go outside and play. There were always kids outside playing.

But the kids aren't outside playing anymore. I can't imagine telling my son to go outside and play . So, I think preschools are a way for him to play with other kids and get some socialization. And, most moms I know that have preschool age kids do send them. At least a few days a week.

The particular school I found is one that is a private school through 12th grade. They happen to start at preschool age.

Anyway, good luck with finding something suitable!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,524,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbromkel1996 View Post
Everyone I know - whether they work or not - send their children to the exact type of pre-school you are talking about. The school districts do not offer them, but there are many private/christian based churches that offer half day programs for 2-5 days a week. My son went to St. Thomas Episcopal and University United Methodist. Both are excellent programs.

My kids also went to St. Thomas. I know of MANY excellent pre-schools that offer part-time. In fact, pre-school is generally geared towards a 3 hour per day curriculum. Now, they may be more concentrated in certain areas. Where I live, it seems that most of the kids attend some sort of pre-school. This has nothing to do with staying home or not.

Many times I have posted on this forum when people suggest daycares as pre-school.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 PM

39 posts, read 293,614 times
University Baptist WEE school has a preschool program. You can choose 2 days or 4 days. The school day is 9-2:30. My son goes there, and we're very happy with it. I've also heard Oak Hills Church has a good preschool program. Good luck!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM

265 posts, read 1,188,109 times
Thanks! I am going to look at the schools you recommended. I have no sense of where they are, but we're looking to live near USAA...Castle Hills, Shavano Park or a little further out (Northwest). If anyone has names of preschools out that way, feel free to direct message me. I figure I need to be registering soon!

Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,524,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motown mary View Post
Thanks! I am going to look at the schools you recommended. I have no sense of where they are, but we're looking to live near USAA...Castle Hills, Shavano Park or a little further out (Northwest). If anyone has names of preschools out that way, feel free to direct message me. I figure I need to be registering soon!
On that side of town: University United Methodist, ST Francis (Episcopal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio