Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooomed View Post
When you talk about SA football, the Raiders would have all the support of San Antonio to Austin, Corpus and all of the lower valley. Don't forget there's this big country just to the south of Texas (Mexico) which would bring in fans from all over!
Can you guarantee this?

I think the more likely scenario is this: "I've been a Cowboys fan since I was this tall. My daddy was a fan and my granddaddy was a fan. I ain't givin' up on my Cowboys!"

A new team would have to win more than it loses, for several years, to pry fans from their beloved teams, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 06:37 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,939 times
Right, you are going to get fans, but you're certainly not going to get them all.
You'll have people who would stay Cowboys fans. Some would probably stay Texans fans. Then you'd have all the people who picked their team when they were a certain age because they were good at the time, or the underdogs at the time.
Then you'll have all the people who moved here from somewhere else and still support their hometown team.

If there's ever a new NFL team here, you most certainly wouldn't get all the people here to switch allegiances.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:31 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
It's probably foolish to sink a lot of money into a sport that could possibly be outlawed in the not too distant future or at least regulated and changed so much that many people would lose interest. The new helmet technology is the latest attempt to make everything OK. It will prove to be pretty useless in solving the real problem which is brain dammage not skull damage. It's kind of like the tobacco companies trying to divert attention away from the health effects by instituting filters and low tar and low nicotine cigarettes. The tobacco industry is still around but I wouldn't buy stock in it.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:43 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
I received this survey a few days ago. Anyone else?

SAN ANTONIO — For those of you who think that outside chance of the Oakland Raiders relocating to the Alamo City is dead – think again.
Mike Sawaya, director of Convention, Sports, and Entertainment Facilities for the city, told the San Antonio Express-News the city has teamed with the Oakland Raiders to hire a sports industry consultant that's in the process of polling local residents about a potential relocation.
An email poll has already circulated among some 50,000 people who have attended events at the Alamodome, asking questions about the purchase of season tickets, ticket prices and other issues.
The research is being jointed funded by the city and the Raiders.

City, Raiders fund poll to gauge San Antonio's support of NFL team - San Antonio Express-News

Old 10-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I got one. I submitted it.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

69 posts, read 99,575 times
Who is conducting this poll? Where do I sign my name?. I have been wishing San Antonio would get a NFL team when the Alamodome went up. It was supposed to be a way of saying look at us we have a stadium all we need is an NFL team. One million dollars was spent hiring a consulting agency to propose our city to the NFL. Needless to say we ended up with a multi-million dollar dome which is now being put to more usage thanks to UTSA. Los Angeles wants possibly two NFL teams the only problem is California's economy is already suffering not to mention they have a water shortage and barely recovering from foreclosed homes. The last thing Los Angeles needs is another NFL team.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:52 PM

1,647 posts, read 2,063,318 times
ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis met with a delegation of officials from San Antonio on Friday to talk about a potential move for his franchise.
Former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros and other city officials traveled to the Bay Area for the meeting, which comes about four months after Davis and other team officials had met with the group in San Antonio.
[+] EnlargeKirby Lee/USA TODAY SportsRaiders owner Mark Davis continued his meetings with San Antonio officials Friday.

"We're going to present San Antonio's strengths and assets in the most persuasive way possible," Cisneros told the San Antonio Express-News before the meeting. "We have a very, very good opportunity to set it forth in a way the Raiders can digest."
Team officials declined to comment on the meeting.

Oakland Raiders meet with San Antonio officials to discuss a potential move - ESPN

Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,728 times
why didn't I get this survey. I'm all for it. found a new facebook page on the Raiders in SA. hope it takes off

https://www.facebook.com/pages/San-A...88316431455449

Old 11-07-2014, 09:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
SAN ANTONIO — Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis and two top lieutenants met recently with several San Antonio officials to discuss the potential of moving his NFL team from the Bay Area to the Alamo City, local leaders involved in the talks confirmed Tuesday.
On the weekend of July 18, Davis met with the officials, including Henry Cisneros, then-Mayor Julián Castro, City Manager Sheryl Sculley, Mario Hernandez of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, and both Richard Perez and David McGee, the president and chairman of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, respectively.
Late Tuesday, after the Express-News published a version of this story on its websites, Sculley issued a memo to the City Council.
“I was asked to meet two weeks ago with the owner of the Oakland Raiders, Mark Davis, and members of his staff. Mr. Davis has expressed interest in a possible relocation of his NFL team to San Antonio and we are engaged in preliminary due diligence,” she wrote. “The agenda for this visit included a tour of the Alamodome and meetings with local business leaders.”

Oakland Raiders owner in talks with SA to relocate NFL team - San Antonio Express-News
I sure hope that they don't bring this team, make us pay for their stadium and raise our taxes on the rich owners' behalf.

Old 11-07-2014, 09:27 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho-Villa View Post
How about adding a small tax to rental cars and hotels? I've seen other cities do this.
These taxes were already raised several years ago. SA doesn't need more taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio