Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM

91 posts, read 476,221 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of adopting my grandson along with my wife. Daughter has already signed papers relinquishing him over to us. Now we are at the stage of doing the criminal background checks and getting a home study done. Our lawyer explained that we wouldn't have an extensive home study because our grandson has been living with us since he was born 2 years ago. He's done plenty of "voluntary" adoptions but I'm sure he has left out plenty of details about what goes on during the actual visit. I keep telling my wife, we have nothing to worry about because we are excellent grandparents and they will not just come and take him away from us, but she is a worrier and is driving me crazy stressing over what goes on during the home study. So can someone with actual experience share what goes on during the visit, specifically ...

1) Do they make an appointment with you or just make a surprise visit?
2) Lawyer said only one day for "voluntary/open" adoption. Is this true and how many hours do they stay?
3) Do they walk through the house and look through private things like in drawers, closets, your computer?
4) Will they look in the garage or the backyard and ask about the two cars on jacks. (not accessible)
5) We also have a friendly husky mix dog in the backyard. Will they want to see current papers on her?
6) What is the conversation like, what kinds of questions do they ask?
7) Will they just want to observe interaction with our grandson, like what our daily routine is, what we feed him, activities, etc.?

I'm sure we'll have more questions before they actually come out to do the home study, but any input based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 06:05 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,413,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnSouthTX210 View Post
I'm in the process of adopting my grandson along with my wife. Daughter has already signed papers relinquishing him over to us. Now we are at the stage of doing the criminal background checks and getting a home study done. Our lawyer explained that we wouldn't have an extensive home study because our grandson has been living with us since he was born 2 years ago. He's done plenty of "voluntary" adoptions but I'm sure he has left out plenty of details about what goes on during the actual visit. I keep telling my wife, we have nothing to worry about because we are excellent grandparents and they will not just come and take him away from us, but she is a worrier and is driving me crazy stressing over what goes on during the home study. So can someone with actual experience share what goes on during the visit, specifically ...

2) Lawyer said only one day for "voluntary/open" adoption. Is this true and how many hours do they stay?
3) Do they walk through the house and look through private things like in drawers, closets, your computer?
4) Will they look in the garage or the backyard and ask about the two cars on jacks. (not accessible)
5) We also have a friendly husky mix dog in the backyard. Will they want to see current papers on her?
7) Will they just want to observe interaction with our grandson, like what our daily routine is, what we feed him, activities, etc.?

I'm sure we'll have more questions before they actually come out to do the home study, but any input based on actual experience would be greatly appreciated.
Both of my Grand Sons are adopted. Let me check with my son.
I was at the home when the social worker came later and it was simply a courtesy visit.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,507,673 times
Don't sweat it too much.
They just need to make sure you don't have a meth lab in the garage or live in filth. Since you have taken care of your grandchild since birth, it shouldn't be a problem.
Kudos to you and the wife for doing this....that alone shows the authorities what kind of people you are. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:31 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,791,397 times
It has to be tough to be a parent all over again for the 2nd time. I tip my hat to the OP for doing this for the boy.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
If they are related by blood, not a huge issue....it is those of us that adopted children not related that spent $$$$$$$ on home studies.....on the last one they told us, "Oh, it is you again"....LOL Congratulations on being the guiding light in the life of a child in need....NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING you have accomplished in life will be more meaningful!

Old 06-19-2014, 07:53 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,413,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
If they are related by blood, not a huge issue....it is those of us that adopted children not related that spent $$$$$$$ on home studies.....on the last one they told us, "Oh, it is you again"....LOL Congratulations on being the guiding light in the life of a child in need....NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING you have accomplished in life will be more meaningful!
I ca not endorse this statement any better.

On the day of my older grandson's adoption, there was a party with great celebration. Matthew was running and playing as a two year old would. He tripped and took a header coming up, unhurt, but wanting symphony nonetheless. He looked toward his mother who shrugged and said, " You are part of the family now, buck up." He dusted himself off and continued to play.

What a welcoming to the family!

Old 06-21-2014, 09:27 PM

Well I just got my copy of the order of the court appointed social worker so it should be any day now. In the letter it states that they will be calling to set up an appointment. So at least we know when they will be coming and not just popping up. I just wish I could know what happens once we invite them in.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
It has to be tough to be a parent all over again for the 2nd time. I tip my hat to the OP for doing this for the boy.
Well, we are young grandparents -40 yo, but yes it's a little harder (physically) than we realized. There are times when me and my wife's back are aching just from doing simple things with him. lol. But we can't imagine not having him here with us when we wake up in the morning or waiting here when we come home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Well this is our grandson we are adopting. He's been living in this household ever since he was born. He's 2 now. The lawyer we retained was not exactly cheap, so I can only imagine how much a traditional agency adoption would cost. How many times have you adopted? What exactly did they do during that first home study you had. I was under the impression that they come out for a whole week, 1 hour per a day, but my lawyer told me it's just one day. I guess I could just ask the social worker when they call or no?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:47 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,468,886 times
We adopted a houseful, however ours was a little "different". None of our children were related by blood, all foreign born. We had to hire 2 lawyers for each process since "foreign born" and we were stationed overseas at the time...have to make both the US and the country of processing/birth for the child happy with the legal dealings, and then immigration processing...trust me, I could write a book on the process. Long story short is they gave us such a difficult time immigrating with our kids because back when we adopted we stayed overseas for so long with the USAF. Anyway, back then, immigration visas for foreign born kids adopted by US parents were still on the "quota" system.

We ended up appealing to the First Lady, Barbara Bush, who sent our case to the State Dept, and after seeing the "dilemma" created for those that adopted children while serving the military overseas and they amended the rules to allow those children adopted by US Citizens living overseas at the time of adoption to be "waived" from the limited quota visa process. Our homestudies, adoptions, court proceedings and all processing had to be done in 2 different languages and then translated and verified by each country....fun, fun!

Our last adoption took place 26 yrs ago, so no idea what the current processing would be like.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 PM

Came back to answer my own questions so that it may be helpful to anybody else in the future. Now as all adoptions are not the same, this is what I have experienced in my case, but is probably generally what to expect here in my county.

-Social worker contacted me a week ahead to set an appointment, even sent paperwork ahead so that we could have most of it filled out by the time she came out.

-She came out on a Sunday (my choice) and stayed @ two hours.

-Walked around the house, but not really invasive. It was more like giving a tour for a friend's first visit.

-Social worker just poked her head in the garage and looked out into the patio. I think the general idea is to see if there is enough space for the child and to see if it is a safe environment.

-She did need copies of my dog's current vaccinations, not sure if specific breeds are a red flag.

-Social worker talked to us as a group, including my son who was home from college. She asked basic things such as what we liked to do, what we see in the future for the child and how do we discipline. She also interviewed us individually and ask what our childhood was like, any history of abuse and to describe the other.

-I'm sure she was observing his interaction. She did ask general questions, but it was like talking to another parent at the park while your child plays. Very laid back, even though we were still nervous. LOL.

Overall, I feel good about the social study. Now we're just waiting on her background checks and to present the report before the judge. I have no idea how long that takes, but it has been about 30 days since the home study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: