Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times

Advertisements

Man, am I REALLY this old, or old fashion...what is wrong with this headline:

Nickelodeon is considering a special for its young audience about sex and love following the news that 16-year-old "Zoey 101" star Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant.

I hope and pray that San Antonio and some other bastions of this country remain sensible enough to boycott anything of glamorizing a 16 yr old that getting knocked up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM

925 posts, read 1,226,602 times
I see nothing wrong with educating teenagers about sex and being safe about it. Of course this isn't going to be shown in the early area or afternoon but instead at night when Nickelodeon puts on its teen shows. Kids at that age are having sex, it's good to be proactive and tell them that when they do to be safe, to wear condoms or take birth control. Also, there will probably be a message of waiting until you find someone you love. Of course that's one aspect of it all, with the real core of it having to be on safe sex.

Nothing wrong with doing that and I think "finally" someone on TV that is targeting this audience does something useful and good besides just trying to make money off them.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:06 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
I never liked my kids watching Nickelodeon and not only because it was some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. They always had some sort of an agenda that placed the kids in direct defiance towards the parents and that was never OK in my book. In our family the parents ruled and the kids did what they were supposed to. If my kids would've tried some of the things they showed on nick, they would've immediately regreted it...

as far as the latest skank with the last name spears, I'm not shocked at all.. The part that shocked me was a publisher was actually going to publish a book by the spears mom and the topic was PARENTING!! that's just pure insanity

Old 12-21-2007, 06:08 PM

269 posts, read 745,480 times
I agree! Education and parenting should not be left up to a television show!!!! Unfortunatley you will not hear too much about abstinence in mainstream media these days. Unfortunatley it would seem that these poor girls mother wanted to be their 'friend' not their parent. I'll bet the family pet gets better attention than the girls did.

imho

Old 12-21-2007, 06:18 PM

Makes me glad that all of my kiddos are grown and responsible adults for sure!

I could agree with you Insomniac IF it was a show that was touting responsiblility for your actions...but this 16 yr old would NOT be new worthy if she her last name was NOT Spears and I have no hopes at all that anything socially redeeming can come from glamorizing the fact that she got knocked up. The average 16 yr old girl is NOT a TV "Star", does NOT make her own $$$, can NOT support herself let alone a child, and has NO clue how to be a good parent.

I guess I wonder how you feel that getting attention from being 16 and pregnant can be helpful in getting the being responsible message across to the younger crowd.....

Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM

It can't and it'll just lead to more moral decay.. almost equated it to a continuation of a certain persons legacy, but then I remembered where I am

Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I never liked my kids watching Nickelodeon and not only because it was some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. They always had some sort of an agenda that placed the kids in direct defiance towards the parents and that was never OK in my book. In our family the parents ruled and the kids did what they were supposed to. If my kids would've tried some of the things they showed on nick, they would've immediately regreted it...

as far as the latest skank with the last name spears, I'm not shocked at all.. The part that shocked me was a publisher was actually going to publish a book by the spears mom and the topic was PARENTING!! that's just pure insanity
AND IT WAS ALLEGEDLY A CHRISTIAN PUBLISHING FIRM, IIRC....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
People tend to start having sex around 16 and 17. Education should already be instilled by then. Maybe if we didn't take such a hush-hush approach we wouldn't be dealing with so many unwed teen parents? Sex is going to happen, so let's stop living in denial. The "abstinence only" message freaks teens out and forces them to hide it from their parents. A 16 year old girl from my hometown ended up taking her own life when she found out she was pregnant back in August. It is sad that she felt she had to do this, and it was likely because she didn't think her parents would be accepting. Teen years are full of drama and emotion, and telling your kids they will burn in hell for having sex out of marraige only adds pressure. I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your kids, but make sure you lay all options on the table.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:56 AM

We raised 5 girls, and ONE boy...and spoke to them ALL about safe, responsible sex. We did not play stupid and KNEW that sex, urges and feeling were all part of growing up and told them so....but again, when you have this 16 yr old "Paris Hilton" type of airhead get knocked up at 16 (and quotes from her and her boyfriend were "We are in shock...we totally did not expect this") HOW is a TV show of them running from place to place on Rodeo Drive buying designer cribs and outfits going to do ANYTHING except glamorize the situation. I am sure there will be a "star studded" babyshower with Tiffany & Co rattles and such. Tell me how you feel this type of "hype" would have helped this poor child from your hometown that took her own life feel ANY better about her situation. As sad as it is, this latest version of a "reality" show would not have helped her feel better about herself or the situation. It is like saying because Hulk Hogan has a "family" show and so does "Ozzy Osborne" that THEY are role model families to emulate. Thanks, but not thanks!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:59 AM

I found this pretty funny clip on the web. It's the spears family Christmas video from National Lampoon

http://blip.tv/file/555674
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio