Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I can't walk 10-feet downtown without somebody begging me for money.
Are you serious? Do you have some sort of flashing light on your back that says "Ask me for money!" lol I ask because I used to walk from the Weston Centre to the Bank of America Plaza every night and that's a route basically in the heart of the homeless population and I can only think of three times I was approached and asked for any change I could give. That was three times in four months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2007, 11:26 PM

925 posts, read 1,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm_03 View Post
Typical San Antonio...I don't know why everyone is afraid of tall buildings here. I remember when they were going to build the Sheraton Hotel..it was going to be really tall, but that never went through.
Yes, thanks to 9/11. The loss of funding by the developer had to do with the decline in travel and hotel business following the attacks.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Are you serious? Do you have some sort of flashing light on your back that says "Ask me for money!" lol I ask because I used to walk from the Weston Centre to the Bank of America Plaza every night and that's a route basically in the heart of the homeless population and I can only think of three times I was approached and asked for any change I could give. That was three times in four months.
Not at all! I am a college student and fit the image well. I don't look wealthy by any means. I usually park in the $1.50 parking near the Red Roof Inn and walk to the River Walk. It may just be that area is a haven for beggers. Last time a guy was trying to convince me he only needed money for a new drivers license so he could go home. He conveniently said he had paperwork to prove that he had lost it. I usually visit in the later afternoon when there are many tourists out. They look freaked out sometimes when these people approach them. Heck, I get freaked out!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:06 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,244,975 times
I wonder if being a college student gives you the "I won't say no" appearance, meaning that you are easy money to them?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:11 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,249 times
Well they would be wrong. College students tend to have little (if any) money on them. Most of the time it is the parents money anyways. I don't know many that have jobs, and those that do work fewer than 10 hours a week. At least I have found this to be true among those I go to school with.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:14 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Not at all! I am a college student and fit the image well. I don't look wealthy by any means. I usually park in the $1.50 parking near the Red Roof Inn and walk to the River Walk. It may just be that area is a haven for beggers. Last time a guy was trying to convince me he only needed money for a new drivers license so he could go home. He conveniently said he had paperwork to prove that he had lost it. I usually visit in the later afternoon when there are many tourists out. They look freaked out sometimes when these people approach them. Heck, I get freaked out!

It must the way you look no offense. Im a tall but very skinny guy and walk around downtown at least twice a week and have never been asked for money. Trust me no one is afraid of my apperence. I do not want to toot my own horn but i usually have a Lacoste or Abercrombie polo on and look 12 yet have never been harassed for money. I get more uncomfortable at Wal-Mart with then dam bell ringers.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:27 AM

83 posts, read 235,484 times
wow, ok, i i cant believe some of things i am reading i do agree downtown isnt perfect and can do for a nice facelift and things, maybe alot of things added to it, but please give credit when due i have lived in downtown san antonio for the past 20 years and love it. maybe because i have been taught to respect people and not to look down upon people but seeing a homeless person here and there has never bothered me. yes i will agree some parts of downtown seem to have an extra amount of homeless people i.e. my friend has referred to travis park as hobo park, but still on nice days i like to walk my dog to travis park and while i may get asked for money, never have i felt in danger or insecure about being there in fact i have become friends with some of the people, in fact twice i have heard crazy stories of peoples lives (wether they were true or not may be a good question) As for san antonio being dead at night i dont see why one would say that sure it isnt 6th street but i thank God its not but i have been around past 1:30 and see many people dressed to go out either going home barely starting to party.
i recently brought my friend down here to check it out. he is originally from dfw but has lived in austin for the past couple of years. he is studying to be an urban planner and was very excited to see san antonio. when he came down he was in aww explaining how he was not aware how urban san antonio was. he said how he had heard san antonio was pretty and cool but wasnt expecting it to be like that!!! (i was so happy to here this haha) oh and we walked all over downtown from the vidorra to the vistana and from the library to southtown. we actually were only at the riverwalk for about 30 minutes.
well... with that said i think san antonio is amazing i believe it has an insane amount of potential to be the city its always wanted to be but i realize this will take time but i am very excited to see san antonio slowly grow in height density and beauty so for now adios ill be wondering through downtown : )

Old 12-23-2007, 01:45 AM

138 posts, read 451,536 times
Why does SA need new buildings downtown? I guess I just hate the 'throw away' attitude of America- let's use the buildings for a few years, then close'em up/board the windows/attract the homeless so they can curl up in their cardboard boxes on the sidewalk. I was in the downtown area quite a bit when a family member lived in the Cadillac Loft - we walked all around downtown many, many times, when walking the dogs. I was so disgusted with the buildings that once were beautiful, ornate structures, now with crap, ****, homeless people in the entrances'/sidewalks- either sleeping or gathering in quite large groups. Why don't companies use these buildings- if they were occupied, with decent businesses, the areas would become better. There would not be the need to clutter up the downtown with more junk/expensive/tax hiking buildings that are built by todays poor standards. There are many cities in the east coast area that are cleaning up the older business neighborhoods- either for new business or loft homes. People can walk to work, eat within walking distance, go to the theater. Good public transportation is available, making it more and more feasible for people to cut back to one car, or non at all. The impact of using less energy/materials on structures already existing is hudge! Of course there is major remodeling to be done, so it gives jobs to contractors/workers. Why is SA so backwards? I have to agree with some of you- I have lived in several large cities, but never have I been approached by so many beggers as in SA. I used to be scammed by them- thinking I was helping out a person a little, so I'd hand over $10 or whatever I had. Then one time I saw a girl who I had just given money to run back to a truck that was much newer/better than the one I drive! Then I started watching some of the people that I gave money to in the parking lots of stores- usually Wal-Mart, Costco or other large stores. I saw people go back to better vehicles, have a beer or such in the vehicle, or, if I would offer to go buy them a meal and bring it right back to them, they didn't want that- they only wanted money. There are regulars who are begging at the exits/entrances of I10, DeZavala, Huebner, or the next few exits south. I have quit giving anything. Never have I been approached by so many beggers. If you can ask: 'can you give me some money', you can also ask: 'would you like large fries with your hamburger, sir?'

Old 12-23-2007, 04:54 AM

546 posts, read 3,104,705 times
I've always wondered why the coppers aren't more hardass with the beggers? I mean, this IS a town based on tourism, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen frightened-as-hell tourists hightail it back to the RiverWalk after venturing blindly about downtown and running into the dreaded panhandlers. Hopefully, the Travellers Hotel will finally burn to the ground (almost happened last week), which will elimanate a few hundred beggers (I mean, I don't wish them to burn to death or anything, only that the Travellers is a homeless Mecca, and without it, they will move elsewhere). And as for that bus stop by the Aztec 3, forget it - THE worst crowd. So, should we band together and hire the out-of-work Brazillian Death Squads? I KEED! I KEED! But yeah, SOMETHING needs to be done about the homeless population, those guys (and gals) drive me NUTS!

Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,111,091 times
It seems Austin formers are very insecure about their city. Some always want trash talk their big neighbor. I't simply spells jealousy! Do you ever see a San Antonio forumer start a thread like this?

Austin is very overrated. Downtown Austin doesn't come close, having the ammenties of downtown San Antonio. There isn't much to see or do. Sixth street isn't happening during the day, or during the week for that matter.

Quick Match up-

Downtown SA wins- More dining options. Downtown is home too the sixth best rated restraunt in the country. La Reve!
SA - shopping by far.
SA- Cultural Venues by far. Arts districts, theatres, musuems.
SA- Historical Landmarks.
SA- Vitality
SA- Character and Charm.
SA- Plazas,Parks, urban river pretty much destroys anything in downtown Austin.
SA-density
SA- Historical Skyscrapers-architectue- Glass is anywhere USA!
SA- Conventions-Tourisim. You don't see the Final Four coming to Austin over and over.

Austin wins -Clubs and Bats, hehe. The river front is nice, but not really developed yet.
Austin wins - Taller buildings UC. Taller buildings don't make a better city.
Austin wins- Bigger downtown employment population than Dallas or San Antonio. I guess it helps being the capital.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 12-23-2007 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio