Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,736 times

Advertisements

Today's SABJ has an article on development of the TAMU-SA campus:
Texas A&M could start development of San Antonio campus by 2009 - San Antonio Business Journal:

Excerpts:
  • The Texas A&M University System expects to have development plans ready to review for the future Texas A&M University-San Antonio campus in August and ground should be broken on the campus as early as mid-2009.
  • Marmon Mok has been selected to lead a professional team in preparing the campus development plan. Sasaki Associates, a nationally recognized planning firm with expertise in higher education, is also working on the team.
  • The Texas Legislature authorized the creation of a stand-alone campus if the campus can reach enrollment of 1,500 students; current enrollment is 1,021 students. San Antonio's 18-to-24-year-old population is projected to increase by almost 20,000 by 2015.
  • Verano Land Group LP is the developer of the area surrounding the future site and has donated the land for the campus. Verano has plans for City South, an "integrated urban village" on about 2,700 acres along South Loop 410 bounded by Pleasanton Road and South Zarzamora Street. The campus would be surrounded by that mixed-use development. Verano has pledged $1 million toward the campus' development and has committed to help raising an additional $7 million for scholarships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:17 AM

385 posts, read 626,189 times
As someone who lives in the far southside, 1604 & 16 south to be exact, I am thrilled at the idea of adding a major university to the south side. I received my Batchelors in Business Administration from UTSA in May 2007. I took classes at the downtown campus whenever possible to save on gas and time spent driving (as well as having to find a parking spot!). When it was not possible to take classes at the downtown campus (which happens more often as you get to the more higher level courses) I would drive to the downtown campus and then take a shuttle from the downtown campus to the main campus. I'm planning on starting grad school this coming August and I will be attending UTSA once again and doing the same thing all over again. If Texas A&M San Antonio were up and running already I would most likely go there, but because it's not, I will willingly choose and be happy to attend UTSA. I am glad that my young nieces and nephew will have the choice to attend either school (or any other school of course.) It's all about choices. Once Texas A&M San Antonio gets up and running, San Antonio will be the only city in Texas with both an A&M and UT system! Isn't that what we should be focusing on and celebrating?

Old 05-25-2008, 12:52 PM

483 posts, read 1,562,686 times
The development in City South is rapidly escalating. It so refreshing to see large developments occurring somewhere besides the Far North and Far West sides!

Old 08-12-2008, 02:33 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
It doesn't look like the school will reach the minimum required enrollment this fall. Construction appears to be postponed until 2010. (What a schocker )

The making of a college - San Antonio Business Journal:

Last edited by tgannaway89; 08-12-2008 at 02:49 AM..

Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 AM

355 posts, read 1,374,662 times
I was actually driving down 410 and 35 south recently and there were people ridin hiorses down the side of the road. Its strange to think thats gonna be gone soon.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:19 PM

399 posts, read 1,139,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It doesn't look like the school will reach the minimum required enrollment this fall. Construction appears to be postponed until 2010. (What a schocker )

The making of a college - San Antonio Business Journal:
What are you talking about? The tone of this piece was very positive. They are only 100 students away. Why are you so negative about bringing a first class institution of higher learning to SA?

Old 08-14-2008, 03:46 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
What are you talking about? The tone of this piece was very positive. They are only 100 students away. Why are you so negative about bringing a first class institution of higher learning to SA?
He's not being negative about bringing a first class institution of higher learning to SA. He's negative about it being built on the southside.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
He's not being negative about bringing a first class institution of higher learning to SA. He's negative about it being built on the southside.
I'm just not sure the demand is there for this project yet. I'm really glad that the Southside is jumping on the growth train. I don't mind the land donation being accepted. I really don't like that we are going to pull millions of dollars from other viable schools to fund this school. I've said before it would be good but should be postponed. Perhaps in another decade or so the Southside would have more warrant in their plea for a major university. Let's use this money where it's most useful first! They've already had the enrollment requirement dropped and attempted to have it dropped again last year. They will not receive funding until they cross that threshold which used to be over 3X as many students as it is today. This story only helps prove my point, stating that the school hasn't drawn enough students yet.

I'm about building for demand... not building hoping for demand.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
My son tried, they told him one more year, not enough credits, needed to be a sophomore or something already.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:04 AM

385 posts, read 626,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I'm just not sure the demand is there for this project yet. I'm really glad that the Southside is jumping on the growth train. I don't mind the land donation being accepted. I really don't like that we are going to pull millions of dollars from other viable schools to fund this school. I've said before it would be good but should be postponed. Perhaps in another decade or so the Southside would have more warrant in their plea for a major university. Let's use this money where it's most useful first! They've already had the enrollment requirement dropped and attempted to have it dropped again last year. They will not receive funding until they cross that threshold which used to be over 3X as many students as it is today. This story only helps prove my point, stating that the school hasn't drawn enough students yet.

I'm about building for demand... not building hoping for demand.
Have you ever been to Texas A&M University-Kingsville System Center San Antonio? Classes used to be held in portables on Palo Alto College's campus and now they're held in an old elementary school. Would YOU want to attend classes in this type of facility? Plus it's an extension of the Kingsville campus, it's not even it's own San Antonio campus. Would you want to say you graduated from a school with a name as long as Texas A&M University-Kingsville System Center San Antonio? I think you have to consider these factors as to why enrollment isn't growing as quickly as some might expect. I disagree that the demand for higher education on the south side isn't there, it's that there isn't a facility that south siders really want to attend YET. I believe that most of us who can travel across town to attend other universities will continue to do so until we have a facility we will be proud to attend here on the southside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio