Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,780,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The infrastructure does not even exist yet! It takes a visionary to see a massive university in 25 years.
The infrastructure is planned.

Quote:
UTSA has not yet reached 30,000 students after 40 years despite seeing explosive growth.
After seeing explosive growth the last ten years, before that its growth was anything but explosive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 01:52 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
The SA A&M campus looks like it will offer programs that I dont see UTSA offers. I think there will be people who are willing to drive to the southside of San Antonio to take advantage of these programs.
So instead of funding theses programs at UTSA we are going to build an entirely new university.

We can have a world-class university or two commuter universities. We just can't support both right now.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
The infrastructure is planned.

After seeing explosive growth in the last ten years, before that its growth was anything but explosive.
I don't see any plans for resorts or theme parks around AMSA. When UTSA was built the city didn't have a public 4-year university. We've only had this school forty years and it still hasn't reached the grandeur that envisioned.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
So instead of funding theses programs at UTSA we are going to build an entirely new university.
Who's funding the school? Not the city, not the county. Why do you act like there's a pouch of money someone has and with it they can do with it whatever they want and the city is presiding them to build a new University.

Quote:
We can have a world-class university or two commuter universities. We just can't support both right now.
Or we could have two world-class Universities if you are capable of patience.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I don't see any plans for resorts or theme parks around AMSA.
What does that have to do with infrastructure?

What does that have to do with anything???

By the way, I do see fantastic new urbanism master planned communities adjacent and near this new University.

Quote:
When UTSA was built the city didn't have a public 4-year university. We've only had this school forty years and it still hasn't reached the grandeur that envisioned.
Kid, it's reached what was envisioned by leaps and bounds, You honestly have no idea what was originality envisioned.

Last edited by lemonfresh; 02-02-2009 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Who's funding the school? Not the city, not the county. Why do you act like there's a pouch of money someone has and with it they can do with it whatever they want and the city is presiding them to build a new University.

Or we could have two world-class Universities if you are capable of patience.
UTSA relies on the city AND county for money. The new athletics complex is being funded largely by bonds. Donations pour in from across the city. San Antonio CANNOT afford two world class universities yet. We cannot even afford to give UTSA what it needs to be world class. AMSA is only going to pull money from UTSA.

It is so selfish that everyone thinks they deserve a $1+ billion university in their backyard. We aren't complaining they haven't built a Toyota plant on the North side .

I am patient! I say wait to build it... You need to learn patience?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Kid, it's reached what was envisioned by leaps and bounds, You honestly have no idea what was originality envisioned.
Quote:
Tone it down here, folks. It's fine to disagree, but it's not fine to include thinly-veiled insults with your counter-argument.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
UTSA relies on the city AND county for money.
UTSA is not funded by the city or county. I'll give you a second to google what you need to.

Quote:
The new athletics complex is being funded largely by bonds.
By bonds? No.

Quote:
Donations pour in from across the city.
What do you think endowments are?

Quote:
San Antonio CANNOT afford two world class universities yet.
We don't afford it anything. You need to separate San Antonio with a public state funded University.

Quote:
We cannot even afford to give UTSA what it needs to be world class.
WE being the state, correct?

Quote:
AMSA is only going to pull money from UTSA.
No it's not.

Quote:
It is so selfish that everyone thinks they deserve a $1+ billion university in their backyard. We aren't complaining they haven't built a Toyota plant on the North side .
So your entire argument is founded on the continuous (needs to die) north side versus south side rhetoric?

Quote:
When you have the money in place to build a University that takes years to build and mature, your solution is to hold off, turn the money down and then wait to once again get the money and opportunity?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
UTSA is not funded by the city or county. I'll give you a second to google what you need to.

By bonds? No.

What do you think endowments are?

We don't afford it anything. You need to separate San Antonio with a public state funded University.

WE being the state, correct?

No it's not.

So your entire argument is founded on the continuous (needs to die) north side versus south side rhetoric?

When you have the money in place to build a University that takes years to build and mature, your solution is to hold off, turn the money down and then wait to once again get the money and opportunity?
Moderator cut: orphaned

I said UTSA relies on the city and county for funding. That does not insinuate that all or a majority of funding is provided. Yes, the athletics park has received about $20 million from bonds. Do you need a link for proof? UTSA doesn't have much of an endowment. We are a young school and haven't been around long enough to build a large endowment. This argument STARTED on the basis of North side vs. South side. It was the South side complaining they didn't have a 4-year university like the North side. I didn't have a 4-year university in Midland. I didn't complain that Odessa got one.

We don't have the money in place. If you read the recent news article I posted it mentions that funding may not be available if the school doesn't enroll 1500.

And do you really want to compare Boston to SA?

Last edited by Bo; 02-02-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Updated quote to match original and replaced an orphaned comment. This quoted reply was a deleted version of the post

Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I said UTSA relies on the city and county for funding.
It doesn't. It doesn't. It doesn't.

Quote:
Yes, the athletics park has received about $20 million from bonds.
Yes it did, but that is neither a majority nor the method of which the park will be built. Also, putting UTSA on the bond was a hot topic because UTSA is a state ran University.

Quote:
UTSA doesn't have much of an endowment.
I never mentioned the size of the endowment I simply let you know that donations are endowments, every University has these.

Quote:
This argument STARTED on the basis of North side vs. South side. It was the South side complaining they didn't have a 4-year university like the North side.
So instead of ignoring that you played right into it.

Quote:
I didn't have a 4-year university in Midland. I didn't complain that Odessa got one.
Though if Midland did have a chance at starting one, I doubt you or most residents of Midland would shoot it down.

Quote:
We don't have the money in place. If you read the recent news article I posted it mentions that funding may not be available if the school doesn't enroll 1500.
The money is there. It's real. Certain requirements need to be met before the money is given. I don't see that not happening, no matter how many alarmist articles the EN writes.

Quote:
And do you really want to compare Boston to SA?
Did I even do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio